Should there be a dedicated Animé channel in the UK?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • To many people animation is only something for children and to be fair much of the low quality stuff is aimed at them and there are channels such as Toonami to cater for them. Animé (Japanese style animation) however often tackles adult subject matter in graphic detail. Examples being Cowboy Bebop and Æon Flux. Should there be a dedicated channel, maybe with a watershed, to broadcast these animé?

There is a large amount of material, often fan subtitled, to draw from including feature length films. This is something of a pet topic of mine having "discovered" one of the Gundam animé almost by accident. This opened a door onto a whole world of content that I knew nothing about and I've only met a couple of people who also have seen that series. Animé has become quite popular in the USA and maybe a dedicated channel, not grouped with the childrens channels, might gain some audience share?

• I don't think there's been one for the more adult content. Some of the cartoon channels have shown things like Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon which are aimed a younger audiences. There was also a French series called Code Lyoko whilst not being strictly an animé was quite inventive using two different styles of animation for the true and virtual worlds.

• To many people animation is only something for children and to be fair much of the low quality stuff is aimed at them and there are channels such as Toonami to cater for them. Animé (Japanese style animation) however often tackles adult subject matter in graphic detail. Examples being Cowboy Bebop and Æon Flux. Should there be a dedicated channel, maybe with a watershed, to broadcast these animé?

There is a large amount of material, often fan subtitled, to draw from including feature length films. This is something of a pet topic of mine having "discovered" one of the Gundam animé almost by accident. This opened a door onto a whole world of content that I knew nothing about and I've only met a couple of people who also have seen that series. Animé has become quite popular in the USA and maybe a dedicated channel, not grouped with the childrens channels, might gain some audience share?

My lad (22) is into it as is a few of his friends but I can't imagine them sitting and watching it on telly when they are used to watching it by other means. It is still a younger adult audience thing in the majority surely?

The problem with there being a myriad of channels plus internet options is that people tend to look for what they want rather than (in the good old days...) watch what is served up that might be showing something you never thought about watching before. So having a dedicated channel might not make any difference anyway, better to campaign for what is considered the good stuff to be shown on the mainstream channels where things still tend to have more visibility.

• I know a young lady in Australia who watches it by choice. She is into the whole Cosplay thing as well.

I don't like it. I love animation but I don't love anime as such.

• My lad (22) is into it as is a few of his friends but I can't imagine them sitting and watching it on telly when they are used to watching it by other means. It is still a younger adult audience thing in the majority surely?

The problem with there being a myriad of channels plus internet options is that people tend to look for what they want rather than (in the good old days...) watch what is served up that might be showing something you never thought about watching before. So having a dedicated channel might not make any difference anyway, better to campaign for what is considered the good stuff to be shown on the mainstream channels where things still tend to have more visibility.

It used to be easy. Switch the box on and watch. Now.... you spend half your time just trying to find something.

• It used to be easy. Switch the box on and watch. Now.... you spend half your time just trying to find something.

I tend to get a lot of stuff on torrents as there's very little to be streamed or viewed. The authorities are trying to clamp down on these sources but it's very easy to bypass the blocks. Make sure U use the "correct" DNS (like Google 8.8.8.8) and have script blockers loaded.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!