BT spins off Openreach. Will it lead to more FTTH (fibre to the home) broadband?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • We have had weeks of vans turning and and men running cables under the pavement every other day then two of them knocked on my door asking if I was on line and said we are installing Fibre Optics I said I am with BT have been for some time , they then looked at the For Sale sigh on the garden , and said sorry you won't be changing over to Fibre then

No said I as soon as the house sells we are off, a few days later I get a text from my sister up north telling me she has been trying to ring my house phone, she tried again and she said I can hear it ringing , I said not this end its not , in fact its been some times since it has rung,

I rang BT to check our landline , no problem with the line then person asked me had I changed over to Fibre , no says I we are with BT but engineers have been working on our street for ages putting in cables

Ah came the reply , have you plugged your phone into your BT router , no says I why ? because you are now on Fibre , why did nobody tell me the two men who called never said anything , you have been changed over to fibre three weeks ago, well it might have been a good idea to tell me.

Spoke to my neighbours they has not been told either :cursing::D

I'd say complain to OfCom but they are so in OpenReach's pocket you'd be wasting your time

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• Yes the copper line has been disconnected. It's still there to the house but goes no further.

They didn't even take it away.8| That's odd, as there is value in that copper.

UPS

?? I'm guessing that's some kind of battery backup and not the courier company.:)

(the local mobile mast only held up for 2 hours).

That's worrying.

With copper landlines being axed and everyone being pushed to fibre and modem, that is something that needs sorting out. There must be good power supplies going to the masts.

An interesting snippet BT told me is that many new build houses have had fiber points of access preinstalled in the most daft place. Seems builders don't want a white box on the wall spoiling the elegance so they've told Openreach to place them in cupboard or even toilets. Which is rubbish if you have any analog phone line based gear you need to still work - the adapter BT will sell you just does not work properly.

I don't like the boxes on the front on the new build houses, but there must be a compromise, with the cable going into the side of the house somewhere and entering the cupboard/space under the stairs.

• yes UPS as in power source. We actually have 3 now as we get so many short power cuts.

I just don't notice the boxes. But we did have to get OpenReach to move ours (what a row that was) as their oppo who changed us to Fibre put the modem in the garage.

• We have had weeks of vans turning and and men running cables under the pavement every other day then two of them knocked on my door asking if I was on line and said we are installing Fibre Optics I said I am with BT have been for some time , they then looked at the For Sale sigh on the garden , and said sorry you won't be changing over to Fibre then

No said I as soon as the house sells we are off, a few days later I get a text from my sister up north telling me she has been trying to ring my house phone, she tried again and she said I can hear it ringing , I said not this end its not , in fact its been some times since it has rung,

I rang BT to check our landline , no problem with the line then person asked me had I changed over to Fibre , no says I we are with BT but engineers have been working on our street for ages putting in cables

Ah came the reply , have you plugged your phone into your BT router , no says I why ? because you are now on Fibre , why did nobody tell me the two men who called never said anything , you have been changed over to fibre three weeks ago, well it might have been a good idea to tell me.

Spoke to my neighbours they has not been told either :cursing::D

You do need to complain about this.

They shouldn't have terminated your copper/landline service without telling you.

Do you have a router from BT? Does your internet service come from BT? (note, I actually do know the answer to this via your IP, but can you pretend I don't.;) It would be bad form (and possibly illegal) if I disclosed this without permission.

• yes UPS as in power source. We actually have 3 now as we get so many short power cuts.

I just don't notice the boxes. But we did have to get OpenReach to move ours (what a row that was) as their oppo who changed us to Fibre put the modem in the garage.

Did you want it in the garage? Sounds like quite a good idea to me and I might do that when my time comes to go full fibre.

• Did you want it in the garage? Sounds like quite a good idea to me and I might do that when my time comes to go full fibre.

No. It was installed during Covid and the oppo was less than communicative and frankly lied. BT did agree it should never have happened that way. There were two problems with it being in the garage:

a) with so much metal in the garage WiFi to the rest of the house was very poor and missing in some rooms.

b) plugging our analog line answering machine into it was not exactly ideal - the adaptor BT supply to get an analog phone line elsewhere does not transfer Caller ID plus relied on the above poor WiFi signal.

BT and I came to an agreement, I funded the UPS and they funded extra Digital Voice handsets, the (excellent) BT WiFi discs and Ooenreach to move the modem point.

But as an ex engineer and fairly web literate I was able to argue my case, there are many elderly that no nothing about wigglyampery that are going to be forced to change over in the next few years. It's wrong.

• You do need to complain about this.

They shouldn't have terminated your copper/landline service without telling you.

Do you have a router from BT? Does your internet service come from BT? (note, I actually do know the answer to this via your IP, but can you pretend I don't.;) It would be bad form (and possibly illegal) if I disclosed this without permission.

Thanks but can't be arsed with them

• These fibre installers are still in my area and they're making a right bloody mess.:cursing:

All the streets are littered with their rubbish, from bits of plastic, to bits of cable etc.

Should I moan?

• These fibre installers are still in my area and they're making a right bloody mess.:cursing:

All the streets are littered with their rubbish, from bits of plastic, to bits of cable etc.

Should I moan?

You do that they'll know just who to make sure has a dodgy connection. Why not send photos of the littering to the authorities?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!