Restored B29 takes to the skies again

• Someone just sent me this link. When the remaining B29s had been dumped in the desert and used for target practice, someone found one that had somehow remained intact. He took it away and some of the folk who worked on the original and flew these planes came to watch it take to the skies again. Huge silver bird of a time long gone ...

• Those are seriously large planes. Must have been terrifying for enemies to see swarms of them over their skies.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I find all WWII machinery terrifying. It was a truly astonishing conflict and there is something dark and horrible about the way it rumbles out over the earth in black and white film footage. I think the age itself, although pretty short time wise, was permeated by something extreme, intense and surreal. Hitler caught it like a disease and the things the nazis built give it a dual sinisterness and magnificence that seems to manifest an aspect of humanity that morphs into the grotesque, even as it attempts to make itself supreme.

• Couldn't agree more. Of course the most sinister thing that came out of this plane was what was dropped on Japan at the end of WW2. It changed the world forever and these planes will always be associated with the beginning of the nuclear age.

(Sorry I didn't reply to this thread (or others) when you originally posted it. I must have missed it, but as said, I am going through everything on the site, so will resurrect a few of our goodies in the process. I've just corrected your Tolkien thread to all its magnificence.:) Our gardening thread is now looking superb as well, all with full size pictures and corrected links.:thumbup::thumbup:)

• Okay, fab.

That bomb was the focus of my generation's hatred of nuclear war and war in general, coupled with the fiasco of Vietnam. We weren't hippies as we were from the seventies, a generation of deep thinkers (and amazing music) who sat around in coffee shops and debated things like war, overpopulation and the environment. We were about as removed from the pseudo hippy revival at the moment as anything can get. A different time and one that did not last long but I have a feeling that people are born into group think for some reason in certain generations and mine was similar to the concerns of the early Romantics. That is why Frankenstein in Mary Shelley's original is about the moral issues of creating things in the laboratory that end up as freaks and monsters, mostly because they do not and cannot belong the way things made with the tools, not the weapons, of intelligent compassion can create them. etc. Quite a big subject on its own, this.

• Indeed, if you can think of way to create a new topic out of it in the future, go for it.

• My brother was an aeroplane fan when he was a teenager and had built a model of everything he could get his hands on. His ceiling was a medley of fighter planes attacking one another and when the Boeing came out, he had a big silver job angled at the doorway above his bed. Balsa wood builds in them days and painstaking painting out of little pots of enamel with teeny brushes.

• I am a big plane fan.

Been to Duxford a few times and seen some air shows. It's great to see skilled pilots "do their thing."

But the most interesting thing for me, was when I went on holiday aboard for the first time.

Very exciting. The ramping up of the engines and the thrust as you take off, never forget it. Although, I was just as interested before the flight. I spent the whole time watching the plane get loaded with luggage and cargo and get refuelled. It was like watching a big beast getting fed.

• My first passenger jet flight was when I was eight years old. I was alone and was being sent to my aunty and family for the school holidays. The thrust on takeoff came as a surprise and I got thrown back in my seat and kind of stuck there. I tried to sit up but a giant force was restraining me. I looked out of the window and the world was receding. I saw a swimming pool like a little oblong scrap of turquoise and then saw a splash in it and thought, "someone has just dived in!" It was 1964. I didn't dare say anything and I didn't even dare to panic. I just waited, as my father had instructed me to do, and I learned about thrust by direct engagement with one of the Jotuns. 8)