Should the Bulger film be pulled?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Should the Bulger film be withdrawn? 3

1. Yes (1) 33%
    2. No (2) 67%
    3. Don't know or care (0) 0%

The director of a film about the boys who killed James Bulger has refused to withdraw it from the Academy Awards race.

Bulger's mother, Denise Fergus, told ITV earlier on Thursday: "He should remove it from the Oscars.

"Remove it from the public domain - withdraw yourself."

For those of us who were around at the time, the murder of the little toddler is something we will never forget and of course he wasn't just murdered but tortued by those mosnters too. For me, the most chilling moment was the CCTV coverage from the shopping centre showing the two killers leading away little Jamie to his ultimate fate and if that wasn't enough, there was other CCTV footage showing that the killers had attempted to grab another toddler before Jamie, so totally premeditated.

The parents, especially the mother of the toddler, must live in permanent hell. No amount of peace will ever befall her, not helped but the subsequent events regarding the killers, ie they were spoilt in prison and of course one of them has had further "issues" since leaving prison. Clearly, she doesn't want this film released, what mother would, but is that reason enough for the film to be pulled?

Many younger people will have never heard of this case and I think it is important to tell the story about the killing of this little toddler and no doubt, the backstory about the killers' home environments.

I don't think this film should be withdrawn.

• I haven't seen the film, but providing it is accurate it should be shown. It is how the public learn of the depravity in our world, and the mistakes made by politicians and social services.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• They certainly have to be mindful and respect the parents of poor little Jamie Bulger wishes, so for the time being I will be voting yes to the film being pulled and as far as I am concerned we hear far too many excuses from the perpetrators of such crimes and how they had a difficult upbringing etc, so I have no need to understand why they committed such an atrocious act.

• On this I think its better if we agree to disagree as I cant be arsed to get in a long and protracted argument over a pair of scumbags who murdered a child for no other reason than being a pair of evil bastards.

• When films such as this are made, I always think of the film Spotlight which revealed the lengths the establishments and Catholic Church went to, to conceal the level of abuse from the general public. It had far more impact than an article in a paper.

I'll even suggest the film did more to 'educate' the public about the risks to their children from 'trusted people' than any amount of other media.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I sympathise with her, and the bad memories it must revive, but she doesn't 'own' what happened. It may just nudge some families to face up to their kids being cruel little b@stards.

• I would have to go back and read about these monsters' backgrounds, to remind myself about their circumstances, but as I have enough depression at the moment, I'll pass. But yes, sometimes people can be just plain evil, even children.

It's the planning, premeditation, which in my mind makes me believe they are psychopaths and never should've been released from prison. I think the story should be told about them, for those that don't know.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!