Are teachers paid enough?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Teachers to be offered cash to stay in school

Cash incentives and a better work-life balance are part of a new attempt to solve England's teacher shortage.

Plans published on Monday by ministers will offer some young secondary teachers £5,000 in their third and fifth years in the classroom - on top of initial £20,000 training bursaries.

Rather than give top-ups to teachers, perhaps the government should consider higher base salaries instead. Either the education of our children is important and we want to attract high quality people into the teaching profession, or we do not.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Strict class control is the fundamental way to better teaching, teachers need to be able follow the curriculum and deliver a lesson without the constant interruptions from the usual scummy suspects.

More time spent on puples who want to learn in a co-operative environment would reap benefits, those who wish to mess around should be enrolled in national service boot camps.

• Not sure about the boot camps Revo, but otherwise agree. How about the extra money for the teachers?

• Throwing money at a system has never worked.

It’s the kids that are the problem unfortunately it’s the few that control the class, one bout of disruption can halt a lesson, the teachers have no viable power, give them more power to punish & control the situation, removing disruption will enable flow, just like anything blocking the way.

Once the dross is removed and off to boot camp that should impact positively on the students who want to learn but also positively impact on the scrotes.

• Teachers are not badly paid, and they have superb pensions. It's a fact that some jobs are highly paid, but risky either through being a temporary nature, or even life threatening, while others (especially civil servants) get extremely good perks, ie. excellent pension, flexible working and generous holiday and sick pay.

The problem with teaching these days is the lack of discipline and kids ruling the schools, rather than the teachers. The end result of 'human rights', as kids know their rights but not the associated responsibilities, ie. they now act as though their rights are sacrosanct, even when they trample over the rights of others.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Throwing money at a system has never worked.

My parents used to be in classes of 50-60 kids, so money isn't everything, true.

It’s the kids that are the problem unfortunately it’s the few that control the class, one bout of disruption can halt a lesson, the teachers have no viable power, give them more power to punish & control the situation, removing disruption will enable flow, just like anything blocking the way.

Teachers are not badly paid, and they have superb pensions. It's a fact that some jobs are highly paid, but risky either through being a temporary nature, or even life threatening, while others (especially civil servants) get extremely good perks, ie. excellent pension, flexible working and generous holiday and sick pay.

The problem with teaching these days is the lack of discipline and kids ruling the schools, rather than the teachers. The end result of 'human rights', as kids know their rights but not the associated responsibilities, ie. they now act as though their rights are sacrosanct, even when they trample over the rights of others.

I wondered how long it would be before the thread went onto the subject of discipline and away from money,;)

Without going off topic too much and tuning this into the immigration thread, when I was on a bus last week there was a group of small children behaving really badly and their mum was right by them.

She said to them words like "how dare they diss you" "they'll be sorry". Later on she received a phone call and afterwards she called her children over who were climbing over all the seats with wet shoes and said that the teacher had rung and apologised for isolating one of them. The woman said to the kids, that "if that bitch ever does that again, I'll cut her."...

Teachers have zero chance of controlling classrooms when their home environments are so disruptive.

• Ok I’ll tackle both money and discipline.

The person on the bus who engaged so eloquently with the complaint re her little darling would eventually be on a radar for her children’s unruly behaviour, so a two fold approach.

Social sanctions

family allowance cut.

Child Tax credits cut

Children excluded from school (number of days)

Punish the poison source, because this mother’s/guardian/ attitude needs adjusting via a financial penalty.

Oh I hear, but the children suffer, well so be it.

I’m sure the link between good citizens and reward will hit home even to those blockheads.