Daytime ads like being one foot in the grave

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • As part of my caring duties, I have to endure daytime television, although for as much as possible I use streaming services such as Netflix to avoid the ads. But what really bugs me beyond the utter shite on daytime tv, are the adverts.

Anyone heard of HSL? If you watch daytime tv, especially Tipping Point, you will. HSL is a company that makes recliner/tipping chairs and sponsors Tipping Point and so you get their damn ads at the beginning and end of each session of ads for the programme.

There used to be the likes of Christopher Timothy (of All Creatures Great and Small fame) and June Whitfield (recently passed) who used to plug life insurance on daytime tv for one company (don't forget you get a free pen if you sign up!..), but nowadays, rather than just one company selling life insurance, there's loads of them, or bloody funeral plans, or showing starving children around the world.

Are daytime ads designed to send us all into the grave early? I think they are!

• Good Food has endless charity adverts but Food Network has none. Strange dichotomy.

I just hit the mute button, maybe those advertisers that also promote on that channel take note?

Anyone heard of HSL? If you watch daytime tv, especially Tipping Point, you will. HSL is a company that makes recliner/tipping chairs and sponsors Tipping Point and so you get their damn ads at the beginning and end of each session of ads for the programme.

It's called sponsorship. ;)

Maybe "16 and pregnant" should be sponsored by Durex?^^

• Be interesting to see what Discovery does with Good Food, as its about to take control of the channel.

At the moment Food Network, which is also on Freeview, has the more varied output drawing on American shows as well as ex-BBC (sub-contractor) productions.

It'll be interesting as you say to see if the emphasis changes.

• I agree the number of over 50’s life insurance adverts is shocking.

Funeral planning is another one, although I noticed the cost they peddled has come down in recent years from £6000 to £3500 for a basic funeral ⚰️

My mums cremation came in at £2890.00 including flowers and order of service.

• Those funeral plan/life insurance adverts do seem a bit heavy handed at times more or less saying if you don't take them out you are being irresponsible because your family will have to cough up to pay for your funeral when you snuff it.

The other adverts that seem to be done in an aggressive manner are the PPI ones that only just stop short of calling people idiots for not checking to see if they have any PPI to claim back.

• Those funeral plan/life insurance adverts do seem a bit heavy handed at times more or less saying if you don't take them out you are being irresponsible because your family will have to cough up to pay for your funeral when you snuff it.

There have been programs showing how many of those plans are a rip-off. They invent extra charges once a claim is made, and if you don't pay up you lose the lot.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• There have been programs showing how many of those plans are a rip-off. They invent extra charges once a claim is made, and if you don't pay up you lose the lot.

Plus the majority of them especially the over 50s plans if you happen to pay more in because you live longer than expected you only get the agreed pay-out amount and not any extra you may have paid in, I have only seen one that actually says it will pay out the full amount you paid in.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!