Vagrancy Act. Should it be repealed?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • As I'm watching BBC Parliament this evening (watching the Brexit votes), I've caught an adjournment debate. So, for one night only, I have a original political topic to debate.:) I could have stuck this in the homeless thread, but I thought it deserved a topic of its own.

Lib Dem MP, Layla Moran, is calling for the 1824 Vagrancy Act to be repealed. The MP is arguing that the act criminalises the homeless and that the law should be ditched. She reckons that there are other laws like the Public Order Act to deal with things like aggressive begging and precious resources should be put into helping the homeless, not putting them in prison.

After her speech, the minister replied rough sleepers shouldn't be targeted by police, but he doesn't agree that the act should be repealed, but will consult with charities, councils and come back to the matter by next year if it seems that the legislation might get ditched.

One of the other MPs said that the police doesn't use this act, so it seems pointless keeping it on the statute book.

What do you think? It seems an out of date piece of legislation to me.

• One of the other MPs said that the police doesn't use this act, so it seems pointless keeping it on the statute book.

If this is correct, then it does seem pointless. It also does not appear to act as a deterrent in any way. May as well be repealed, but then again, what difference does it make either way. If it is never used, then it's just more work to repeal it.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!