BBC risks undermining Brexit and damaging UK, 70 MPs warn

• BBC risks undermining Brexit and damaging UK with 'pessimistic and skewed' coverage, 70 MPs warn

The BBC risks undermining Brexit and damaging the UK's reputation with its "pessimistic and skewed" coverage, MPs have warned.

More than 70 MPs from across the political spectrum have written to Lord Hall, the director-general of the BBC, accusing the corporation of portraying the UK as a "xenophobic" nation that regrets the vote to leave the EU.

They say that the corporation has failed to "break out of pre-referendum pessimism" and accept the "economic good news" the UK has enjoyed since the referendum.

The letter comes after months of mounting anger in the Conservative Party about the corporation's coverage of Brexit in the wake of the EU referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...mistic-skewed/

Personally I've thought for a long time that the BBC in general and some BBC reporters are showing bias against Brexit. Laura Kuenssberg in particular seems to me to be opposed to it. It's not something one can actually pin down, just a general impression one gets from the expression and tone of some reporters. There seems to be a particular delight in interjecting a note of doom into any good news.

( This article is not Telegraph premium content and therefore in the public domain.)

• A REPORT into the BBC’s coverage of Brexit has found the public broadcaster has been overwhelmingly negative about Britain leaving the European Union.

The research into flagship Radio 4 show Today, compiled by independent news monitoring group News-watch, found that of the 366 guest speakers who appeared in the Business News segment between June 24 and December 22 last year, 192 of them (52.5 per cent) were negative about it.

According the research compiled on behalf of a cross-party group of MPs, only 60 (16.3 per cent) expressed opinions which were pro-Brexit or saw the post-referendum economic outlook as positive. There were 114 (31 per cent) neutral contributions.

Critics yesterday pointed to the research, which shows there were three times more anti-Brexit speakers than pro-Brexit ones in the prestigious slot, as evidence the BBC had broken its charter requirement to be impartial.

Linky

As a listener to that programme I fully concur with those findings. This morning on news breifing they had a remoaner MP rambling on and on with no Brexit MP to give any balance.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• But would we want a UK version of Fox News to "balance" things out? It may happen anyway with the full takeover of Sky by Murdoch.

TBQH I think we should have a right leaning news organisation. Might make people start to question why some stories are suppressed or even not reported on by the likes of the BBC. We have a more eclectic press with right and left leaning publications.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• BUt, but, but.... would you really want a UK Fox News?

I don't have Sky now, but when I did, I used to watch shows on Fox News like The O'Reilly factor at 1am (I'm a night person, not a early bird!) but these shows are not news. They are just tv versions of the shock jock radio stations.

Do we really want that here?