Labour and Conservative MPs to form new party??

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has said the Labour Party is "dealing with" any issues that might cause a split.

Rumours continue to circulate that some MPs are close to resigning the whip.

But Mr McDonnell insisted the party was "holding together on Brexit" and would be "ruthless" on claims of anti-Semitism that have dogged Labour.

Looks like Labour might split, but it's not clear to me over what exactly. Some of it seems Brexit related, some of it to do with the current leadership and the momentum influence and the other reason seems to be because of the anti-Semitic issues.

About time politicians stop looking inwards at their problems and start looking outwards at the problems this country faces.

• Just as I posted that, this happens:

Seven MPs leave Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's leadership

Seven MPs have resigned from the Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's approach to Brexit and anti-Semitism.

The seven - who are calling themselves the Independent group are: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey.

Ms Berger said Labour had become institutionally anti-Semitic and she was "embarrassed and ashamed" to stay in the party.

Mr Leslie said the party had been "hijacked" by the far left.

Could we have a SDP situation happening here, with perhaps some Labour MPs joining either with the Lib Dems or even joining up with some Conservative MPs?

• I hope the electorate treat them with the same respect that these politicians have shown towards democracy. They want Corbyn to ignore the referendum result, so they should have a bi-election seeing as they stood on a leave manifesto.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• We'll wait and see Heero. I expect this to happen to the other mob too, soon.

Hopefully, although Sourface is claiming the extremists (Brexiters) should leave the Conservative party. Cheeky cow. The Brexiters are the only ones upholding democracy and delivery of the party manifesto! Sourface is upholding nothing, not her constituents, democracy itself, or the parliamentary and her parties promises to uphold the referendum result.

EDIT: I ought to add that she is quite outraged at remainer MP's being threatened with deselection. :)

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• There is something predictably pathetic about a new political "party in embryo" asking voters what they want in politics. For goodness sake, aren't there any politicians left who know what they're offering rather than seeking to become a market research identikit of voter needs?

As for this breakaway group's Remainer orientation, it is arguably not a betrayal of democracy, but rather an upholding of democracy. This is because a significant (not simply marginal) majority of voters today have said that , in the light of what has happened since that referendum, they would rather Remain.

Specifically, You Gov reports that close to half of Britons (47%) believe that Remain would now win in a repeat of the 2016 referendum, By contrast, only 29% of people think that Leave would prevail. The remaining 24% don’t know.

Get real: the 2016 referendum result is well beyond it's safe use-by date. Britain would get ill from consuming that 2015 result.

• There is something predictably pathetic about a new political "party in embryo" asking voters what they want in politics.

We don't know if there will be a new political party yet. And if there is one, perhaps another one will join it soon, if the Conservatives split too.

As for this breakaway group's Remainer orientation, it is arguably not a betrayal of democracy, but rather an upholding of democracy. This is because a significant (not simply marginal) majority of voters today have said that , in the light of what has happened since that referendum, they would rather Remain.

The MPs were reselected on the last Labour manifesto to respect the result of the referendum.

Have you got a link to that yougov poll?

Get real: the 2016 referendum result is well beyond it's safe use-by date. Britain would get ill from consuming that 2015 result.

Rubbish. But I'd like to see what nonsense yougov have come up with, before arguing further.

• Looks like there not willing to have by-elections to support there independence, but want to force a people’s vote through.

Oh the irony.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&sourc…550734613930084

Apparently she was tired ? when that slipped out, but then again when your really trying hard and concentrating on not offending anyone by suppressing the real you, the real you has a habit of popping up at the most inconvenient time.

• Looks like there not willing to have by-elections to support there independence, but want to force a people’s vote through.

What? None of the electorate have 'changed their mind', even though they were elected on a Labour manifesto which promised to leave the EU?

They are self-serving hypocrites ... but we already knew that!

• @Rob Alka I've edited your post to remove the bold text. Please post in normal text.

Thank you. Didn't know I had. Copied and pasted a couple of things from somewhere else and couldn't match the font. OMG! I've just discovered what you call "font family" is in fact font design. That solves my problem. Whoopie!

• Hopefully, although Sourface is claiming the extremists (Brexiters) should leave the Conservative party. Cheeky cow. The Brexiters are the only ones upholding democracy and delivery of the party manifesto! Sourface is upholding nothing, not her constituents, democracy itself, or the parliamentary and her parties promises to uphold the referendum result.

EDIT: I ought to add that she is quite outraged at remainer MP's being threatened with deselection. :)

Talking of which:

Independent Group: Three MPs quit Tory party to join

Three Tory MPs have resigned from the party to join an independent group, set up by former Labour MPs.

Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen wrote a joint letter to Theresa May to confirm their departure.

The three held a press conference, criticising the government for letting the "hard-line anti-EU awkward squad" take over the party.

Just heard some commentary on this which said these MPs aren't forming this new party to-be for the "greater good" but because they've looked at the polling numbers and reckon they could win a general election, if one were to occur, on a pro-EU agenda, especially holding a second vote.

Soubry needs no comment and I'm not familiar enough with Heidi Allen, but I did rate the Dr highly and its sad that she feels threatened by the likes of Rees-Mogg and Boris.

In there press conference earlier, they referred to the Conservative party as BLUEkip and said that the ERG had taken over the Conservative party and were furious that May had taken a no-deal off the table. Boy, is there anything they are happy with?:) Good riddance to them and by the sounds of it, more MPs are likely to join them from both parties. (cough, don't they remember what happened to the SDP??)

• Labour and Conservatives could see more MP exits

Labour and the Conservatives could face more resignations, with members of the new Independent Group saying they expect more MPs to join them.

Ex-Tory MP Heidi Allen told ITV's Peston programme "a third" of Tory MPs were fed up with the party's direction.

Labour MP Ian Austin told the Express and Star he would think "long and hard" about his future in the party.

Going by a interview I saw a clip of, one of Sarah Wollaston's colleagues, another doctor/MP, Phillip Lee, will shortly be joining the new group as well. As the Lib Dems are hardline-pro EU, I don't get why these breakaway MPs simply don't join them.

• Labour and Conservatives could see more MP exits

Going by a interview I saw a clip of, one of Sarah Wollaston's colleagues, another doctor/MP, Phillip Lee, will shortly be joining the new group as well. As the Lib Dems are hardline-pro EU, I don't get why these breakaway MPs simply don't join them.

She was on the news this morning, and says they won't join the LibDems as they have a 'tarnished reputation' due to their coalition with the Tories. Every word they utter is so hypocritical! The LibDems reneged on their promises, which is exactly what they are doing.

• They want a second referendum but don't want a bi-election.
    • They say the ERG has 'taken over' the Tories but would be happy for their little band of pro-EU MP's to 'take over' the party. (I can't see how the ERG have taken over as we would have been out of the EU by now if they had, but then I'm a Brexiteer).

Their dialogue is evasive of their true reasons. They should just admit they do not respect the electorate, or democracy.

• It'll be interesting to see what their constituancy party members make of them, especially in the leave voting regions. I don't know much about the system here but can a local party deselect a sitting MP? (And thus force a by-election)

Their hypocracy stinks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!