Game of Thrones

• Game of Thrones

(2011)

Overview

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Friction between the houses leads to full-scale war. All while a very ancient evil awakens in the farthest north. Amidst the war, a neglected military order of misfits, the Night's Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and icy horrors beyond. Read more

Genres

• Action & Adventure
    • Drama
    • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • Unfortunately we don't have Sky Atlantic on the Virgin platform so we'll have to wait for a suitable download opportunity. Watched all the previous seasons so looking forwards to this. Hopefully more dragon action.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I find these series take up too much time and seem to drag a bit, especially if they do well and the production company starts milking them. Prefer films.

Although I agree with many American series', they milk them to death. Overall GoT has been consistently good.

The Walking Dead, on the other hand, feels like its been put through a strainer more than once.

Unfortunately we don't have Sky Atlantic on the Virgin platform so we'll have to wait for a suitable download opportunity. Watched all the previous seasons so looking forwards to this. Hopefully more dragon action.

I just hate how they've spilt this "season" over two years. That is, as Hoxton points out, milking it.

Can't wait though and they've made the dragons bigger!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Really looking forward to this, but the talk on the net is that the last series won't be until 2019 now. WTF??

• Getting ever closer now to the tv event of the year. It had better be good, it's been a long enough wait.

• I love it. Obviously like anything, the first series in my opinion is the best.

It mixes all the best stuff into a delicious mix.

Politics, power, rivalry, family rivalry, war, death, tragedy, romance, drama, it's got it all ,and that's before we get onto the dragons, zombies and some tits and bums thrown in too to spice up what is already a very spicy drama!

You are wise to stay clear of it, if you are writing similar material, because you could get influenced by it.

I may or may not do a full review in the future, depending on what future sections may or may not appear here.;) (My book club will reappear again and will have companions.)

• Also a great fan here. Beautiful sets and location filming, wonderful characters and plot twists and some really gory ways to die. Throw in a goodly lot of sometimes kinky sex, nudity and CGI dragons. What's there not to like?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• If it were shown on BBC One, it would get millions and millions of viewers.

Instead it's on a satellite channel that's inaccessible to many people.

As I'm busy with forum stuff again, I don't watch much tv. But I've got ten years of catching up to do on tv, films, books etc. Where to find the time for it all?:) But when GoT is on, EVERYTHING stops. It's one of the few little pleasures I allow myself.

• My books are very different as the series has no dragons or magic but they are about civilizations, politics, religions, wars, etc on an earth-like world and are the sagas of the Knighthood that forms the focus of one particular civilization and its interaction with the others. So I just don't get into anything even remotely similar so all my stuff comes out of my long term notes and imagination. Any similarities would be coincidental. I don't write sensation books, I write narratives, long ones. More literary than entertainment. I fill them with histories and cultures and the meaning of life to people who are a lot like us but have none of the particular influences that shaped our own cultures. I wanted it to be as though certain influences were not there and wondered how things might have developed without them. That's why I'm poor and other writers are super rich. 8o

Enjoy Game of Thrones and all that gore and filth. 8):D

• Actually out of interest when it's shown on Sky Atlantic are there commercial breaks? Obviously our downloded copy hasn't.

4312-gwban-gif

• Enjoy Game of Thrones and all that gore and filth.

I will.^^

I normally hate violent stuff, but they have some death scenes which are the best to have ever been shown on tv.

Perhaps it's just a boy thing.:)

Actually out of interest when it's shown on Sky Atlantic are there commercial breaks? Obviously our downloded copy hasn't.

I wouldn't know, but as it's on a normal tv channel, I would imagine so.

I acquire my fix via other means.

• Have you ever seen the BBC's Merlin? There's a big dragon in that show and it's voiced by the now, late John Hurt.

IT was one of my all time favourite shows from recent years and in effect the direct predecessor to GoT. They even use some of the same actors from Merlin in GoT.

• 1 week to go......

Will the Starks finally reunite?

Will the mother of all dragons finally unleash her pet monsters?

Will Cersei get her comeuppance? Will it be Jaime that delivers it..?

Will the White Walkers ever reach down South? They've been "attacking" for a very long time now, they must need a sav nav.

Will Tyrion be sobre for a entire episode?

Will Little Finger get the smirk finally wiped off his face along with a decent accent?

Will Jon Snow get a shave and a haircut?

So many crucial questions to be answered.

• 1st episode of Season 7 is available from all good "outlets" now.

It's a setup episode, but a good one, in my opinion.

I'll give it at least a day before discussing here, so that everyone has a chance to watch it.

• Anyone who wants to talk GoT, let rip!

A good, setup episode yesterday.

The problem with GoTis that is was spread too thin around, especially when Dorne was introduced. Now, everyone is on the same continent/land again, all the main characters are coming back together and the story should be quite tight as a result.

• Just watched the 2nd episode. It's bloody brilliant!

With all the talent in the world, all tv should be like this, not the reality, celebrity driven crap that dominate our airwaves.

• Right, if no one has ever seen this series, they should avoid this thread as it will ruin it for them. As the second episode was broadcast on Monday, I think it's safe to talk about it and the first episode too and they have both been brilliant.

The characters are coming back together again, gradually, so it's getting a feel more like the first series. But one question, did Theon's sister die at the end of the last episode? I must have missed that, but some on the net say she was killed by her uncle.

• Just seen episode 4. Bloody brilliant!!:):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Without spoiling things, we get some dragon action.

If this series were on BBC1, it would get 10 million+ viewers, what a shame it's hidden on Sky Atlantic.

• Almost time for the next episode and finally we're going to get some white-walker action. About time!

Highlight of the tv week on Mondays when the new GoT ep comes out. Love this series.

• We're going to watch it on dvd, if possible as we don't get it on our cheapo TV package at the mo. I saw some trailers on YouTube and it looks very impressive from a special effects point of view.

• What about it influencing your writing though, LW? You said you were going to stay clear of it until all your books were done.

• No fear of that now as I am nearly finished my Saga series. They aren't like GoT, though, because mine are not about magic and dragons but are a what-if narrative of a medieval style civilization on another world that is a lot like earth.

Will comment here when I get to see the first series of GoT.

• Tell me when you start watching them LW and I'll re-watch them at the same time.

I'll be very careful not to post any spoilers here, but others may, so....

This "last" series or season as the yanks say, which is currently airing, (the last series has been split into two and the other half will be shown next year) is very similar to the first season, in that there is more politics.

So, really this series has it all, politics, drama, action, dragons etc.

Enjoy!:)