Star Trek: Discovery

• Star Trek: Discovery

(2017)

Overview

Ten years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Star Trek, one of the most iconic and influential global television franchises, returns 50 years after it first premiered featuring a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers. Read more

Genres

• Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • I liked the original ones. I haven't kept up with any of the follow ons. Are they any good?

Just went to have a look at your link. I see it's Discovery now. And Captain Lorca ... yum yum.

• I quite liked them all, but the last one with Scott Bakula was probably the weakest.

And, you're ahead of me here. Are they not calling it Star Trek any more? Next, no doubt, the Star Wars name will get dropped as Disney milk it for every penny they can get out of it...

• Ok, well I've just seen the first two episodes of this new series (the 2nd ep is also available on Netflix) and at this stage I sum it up by saying its a work in progress.

The story is told through the eyes of the first officer, rather than a captain, and it stars one of the actresses from the walking dead. She plays a character who, although human, was brought up by the Vulcans and in particular by Sarek (Spock's dad) played by James Frain.

This story is about the Federation's first encounter with the Klingons after a 100 years of no or little contact with them. The Klingons feature heavily in these first two episodes and I understand they are central to the while series. If you're expecting the Klingons of old, think again! They've had a complete makeover. They look different and wear very ornate clothes and seem extremely religious. Yes, I still talking about the Klingons here.

Anyway, I'll say no more as it may ruin the story for you, but other reviews I've seem label these two episodes as a prologue and I think that's correct, as one of the main character in this series, the Captain, played by Jason Isaacs, didn't feature at all.

I don't know if you have ever seen Caprica, the Battle Star Galactica prequel series, but it has that kind of feel to it to me. A lot of the style, including lens flares, has been taken from the new Star Trek films, but this even feels different to them, so far.

Look forward to next week when the series starts "proper" with the Captain, but it will still be the first officer who's point of view the story is told from.

I give it 6 out of 10 for these first two eps.

• My TV viewing is a matter of feast or famine at the moment but I have managed to watch the first two episodes and felt that they were an introduction to the series and I am looking forward to watching how the story unfolds.

• From what I've read the series is a single main story rather than a number of individual storys. I like that sort of format as it evolves over time.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I like both formats.

This current format with American tv started about ten years ago (or more) and it is nice to see a story evolve over the course of a series. But I do like individual stories too. I have happy memories of watching Stargates, or Star Trek series' while doing the ironing or something else, because if you miss something, it did not effect the enjoyment of the next episode.

• Although the individual stories in the original series were inventive I found that in the later spin offs that they ended up having a story each episode based on one of the main 5 or 6 characters in rotation and for me it was boring. Not enough strange aliens or weird space storms or planets. Nowhere enough phasor / photon torpedo action.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• From what I've read the series is a single main story rather than a number of individual storys. I like that sort of format as it evolves over time.

I think you've hit on why I don't share the general love for all these US TV series that are floating about. I tend to forget who did what and who's who so get confused and bored. I prefer either a film or a self contained episode.

• Just watched episode 3 and I'm hooked.

• Just seen ep3 myself, Jo.

It's certainly different has the re-imaged vibe of battler Galactica to it or Caprica, some Fringe, Lost, other elements. Not the clear cut, 2D world of Trek we're used to.

As to your query in your spoiler, having just seen the "after show" on Netflix, (NOTE TO ALL: Avoid it like the plague, it's awful and they forensically examine every detail and basically ruin the magic of it.) the answer is yes.:)

• Cheers H I must admit to wondering if my memory was playing tricks and making up links to other Star Trek characters. I did let the programme roll on after the first episode and caught a short look at the aftershow and quickly switched it off, not my cup of tea at all.

I hate it when things are examined to death, taken to pieces and over explained. A hang over from doing English Lit, totally ruined my enjoyment of  Shakespeare's use of the English language.

• I don't why Americans feel the need to forensically examine a tv show to death. It's a television show, for crying out loud. They should just watch the damn thing and stop wondering what every little thing means, not that it's that hard to work out:

Federation - good guys.

Klingons - bad guys.

There. Explanation done for them.:)

• If they're going to start down the morality road, then fine, that's like old Trek, but I thought that the show was going to be taken in a new direction, especially with a war monger captain at its helm.

• There has to be a reason why the new Spore Drive wasn't used in the previous series set in the future. I guess coercing the Alien will prove to be ethically unacceptable to Michael making future friction between her and the Captain an on going feature.

• There has to be a reason why the new Spore Drive wasn't used in the previous series set in the future. I guess coercing the Alien will prove to be ethically unacceptable to Michael making future friction between her and the Captain an on going feature.

You got that spot on, Jo.

Have you seen the latest episode, ep4 yet? It's pretty good.

• I have just started to play catch-up with my recordings and forums so I haven't watched episode 4 yet. I can't believe how much stuff I have to get through. It looks as though I will be home most days for the next couple of weeks so look forward to catching up with what you have all been up to. My next stint in hospital is at the beginning of December and fingers crossed the ward I am due to end up on has decent wifi so I can keep up with some of my series using Netflix and keep an eye on what all my virtual friends and acquaintances are up to on line. :)

• Just settled down on this dark and dreary day to watch the latest ep of ST and it's not there! Next episode is on the 8th January!

I didn't mind Netflix going down the road of a traditional channel in the sense of showing one new episode a week, but this is too much like how the main American tv networks work. They run out of episodes, so take breaks mid season so that new ones can be made. Terrible way to do it. Make all the episodes first, then show them.

If Netflix keeps doing things like this, they may lose their popularity. It was always about "binge" watching. How can I binge ST if I have to wait several weeks for the next episode?:(