Latest BBC idents. Does anyone like them?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Once there used to be static screen indents before and after programmes aired on the BBC. Then they got animated and then they got creative.... The "creative" bit being the problem.

I rather liked the balloon era on the BBC, but now we have these utterly useless new indents with people dancing, or just standing around. Does anyone like them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38486283

• I would have thought a picturesque British scene would be more interesting with perhaps a message where it was photographed. Or perhaps a piece of British art. Proper art that is, not Tracey Emin's bed or a tin of baked beans sort of art. ;)

• We don't watch much on the BBC but saw some roller skaters doing something weird before Saturday Kitchen this morning. WTF?

When a company concentrates more on their logo than content you know they've lost the plot.

As you may know from my comments in old boy's linear channels thread on CF, I don't turn the box on much these days, at least not for normal tv.

These indents don't provide a proper buffer between the last show and the next, which is meant to be the whole point of them. The balloons did that, even the more recent hippos indents were better.

I would have thought a picturesque British scene would be more interesting with perhaps a message where it was photographed. Or perhaps a piece of British art. Proper art that is, not Tracey Emin's bed or a tin of baked beans sort of art. ;)

Shssh, she'll be next with her art of dirty toilets introducing the next programme. But as most of the shows are crap, it would kind of be relevant. :)

• Well, the idea is, and I hope it's true, that the "Oneness" idents are just a year long project and that a new BBC-wide font called "Reith" will come into play imminently. I think the idents are bland, uninspiring and rather ineffective since the entire BBC presentation is a mish mash of old circle style with new Oneness Style. Yet, suddenly, on Thursday September 7th at 10.45pm, "Kites", one of the old circles idents mysteriously appeared, and the new Strictly Come Dancing ident that aired on September 9th, was based upon the old circle concept, even though it was a new ident.

For the nations flagship channel, the presentation is inconsistent and lowers the gravitas of what BBC1 should be.

• You've kept a real close eye on this, wizzywick. Never heard of Reith at all.

What did you think of the old hot air balloon idents for BBC1?

The balloon idents were superb. There is no reason why a similar concept can't be re-created. But instead of a globe balloon, a red Numerical 1 floating above British landscapes. Or even a giant 1 symbol placed in various locations.

Here's some information on the BBC's new font, which is replacing Gills Sans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gel/guidelines/typography

• It's a good idea. The only thing is, even with HD displays, would red be the best colour to use as it can bleed a bit?

The problem I have with these idents, is they don't act like a proper buffer between programmes. I spoken to some elderly people on this and they find these idents confusing. They're not sure if they are watching an actual programme or not.

I think plonking a huge number one on various landscapes is a really good idea, or having it float around is great. The use of people in idents, I really dislike.

Were you around in the days when the old ITV franchises were all changed? We got Carlton in London and they were the first to use people idents. Hated them.

• It's a good idea. The only thing is, even with HD displays, would red be the best colour to use as it can bleed a bit?

The problem I have with these idents, is they don't act like a proper buffer between programmes. I spoken to some elderly people on this and they find these idents confusing. They're not sure if they are watching an actual programme or not.

I think plonking a huge number one on various landscapes is a really good idea, or having it float around is great. The use of people in idents, I really dislike.

Were you around in the days when the old ITV franchises were all changed? We got Carlton in London and they were the first to use people idents. Hated them.

I miss regional ITV. That's one of Thatcher's legacy's that I don't like. The Carlton People Idents were really bland compared to the superb Thames logo. I can't believe though that the fabulous COW Globe from 1985 looks far more modern and stylish than what the BBC have come up with today. Even the rhythm and movement idents had more creativity. I dread to think what the Christmas Idents will be this year.

• Some of the modern BBC Christmas idents have been superb, but as for the old ITV ones, Thames etc, yes, I much prefer them to what came after. I particularly liked the LWT ident and jingle. A little reminder when TV idents were done properly:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Both Ch4 and BBC two have revealed new idents.

Here are the CH4 ones:

And here are the BBC 2 ones:

The Ch4 ones create a unified look across all their channels, so I quite like them, but the BBC two ones are a bit too arty for my tastes.

What do you think of the new idents?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!