Organ Donation will now be opt out from 2020!

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Once I'm dead I doubt I'll be bothered about what happens to my body. The concern I have is with trust (which is sorely lacking at the moment) and the priorities, ie. will my death be hastened because I am a perfect donor for someone 'special' who must be saved at any cost?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Not going too say too much on this as its very close to home.... but there are many people who die everyday because someone didn't carry a donor card and met an untimely end and their organs were lost.

I do though share Fidget's concern that an unscrupulous doctor might choose to harvest organs from the mentally ill, especially those with dementia. How heathy those organs would actually be, is another matter entirely.

• My main concern is how this has managed to become law with very little mention of it by the media, I heard mention of it a few months ago but then it was only at the stage of being mentioned, of course the main focus of attention of the media of late has been Brexit, which makes you wonder what else will be slipped through while the media and the general public are being distracted by the Brexit circus. ;)

• The UN Migration pact, for example? That's a complete stinker.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I wonder how, when or if the NHS plan to announce this to the general public, or will they just not bother so they can rely on people not knowing and therefore not having the option to opt out.

• My main concern is how this has managed to become law with very little mention of it by the media, I heard mention of it a few months ago but then it was only at the stage of being mentioned, of course the main focus of attention of the media of late has been Brexit, which makes you wonder what else will be slipped through while the media and the general public are being distracted by the Brexit circus. ;)

I can't really comment, as I barely have time to read the headlines at the moment, let alone closely watch events at Westminster.

I think Brexit has dominated things though, so I don't think there would be too many surprises while the circus continues.

• I agree with the Bill

I have never understood why people get so upset at the thought of their loved ones body parts being used for somebody else

When you are dead, you are dead and those organs are no longer of any use to you so why not donate them to someone with a desperate need

Proper safeguards exist so that there is no chicanery

I recall an hysterical mother on TV who had just discovered that her stillborn childs brain had been removed for pathology. She was distraught that she had not buried the complete baby

Incidentally, tests and Xrays revealed that OH has three kidneys. Pension fund ^^

• It isn't a matter of what happens after you are dead. It's the possibility of your death being 'hastened', or even demanded. I see no reason to trust anyone in authority, or in a position of influence, these days.

• I still agree with you on that Fidget, as I said earlier in the thread. But for most people who hopefully live to a ripe old age, their organs will be of no use anyway. It's the young that need to be protected here.

• Individuals do not belong to the state, so organ donation should only ever be at their request and not an opt out.

If you are becoming mere objects and not sentient, free individuals, then one gets that Soylent Green feeling about what the state's madmen might do with your body once you have died, and what they might think of doing with you in general before your escape from the asylum they have built for people who foolishly think they live in democracies.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!