Labour and Conservative MPs to form new party??

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • She was on the news this morning, and says they won't join the LibDems as they have a 'tarnished reputation' due to their coalition with the Tories. Every word they utter is so hypocritical! The LibDems reneged on their promises, which is exactly what they are doing.

• They want a second referendum but don't want a bi-election.
    • They say the ERG has 'taken over' the Tories but would be happy for their little band of pro-EU MP's to 'take over' the party. (I can't see how the ERG have taken over as we would have been out of the EU by now if they had, but then I'm a Brexiteer).

Their dialogue is evasive of their true reasons. They should just admit they do not respect the electorate, or democracy.

I think it was Anna Soubry who said yesterday that the coalition government was the ideal situation for her, so mixed messages coming from this new group.

As you say, the fact that they don't wish to test the electorate by having a by-election, speaks loads about them. They stood on their party's manifesto, so they should now seek confirmation from the people who voted them into parliament whether they are still happy with them.

And as you say, this rant about the ERG is nonsense. I am furious with Rees-Mogg, Boris et all, for being far too accommodating and letting this mess over Brexit happen. Hardly a right wing takeover, if it were, May would've got the chop straight away.

If Tony Blair were to come back into politics and join this group, then it would be game over. It would become clear that this new group are a pro-EU, uber liberal (more than the lib dems) metropolitan/latte light kind of party, just the kid of thing that the electorate rejected when a majority voted Brexit. Not that this group is interested in a majority of the country, they're interested in mainly London, where they know they will pick up significant amount of votes. I reckon that's their target.

It'll be interesting to see what their constituancy party members make of them, especially in the leave voting regions. I don't know much about the system here but can a local party deselect a sitting MP? (And thus force a by-election)

Their hypocracy stinks.

Some Labour MPs were deselected, but they still wanted to be labour MPs, but were pushed out by momentum. As the ex-Conservative MPs have resigned the Conservative whip, there is nothing that the local Conservative groups in their areas can do about it, so no, they can't be forced out, only the electorate can do that at the next general election.

• Soubry was on LBC this morning from 10 AM with the smug arrogance the usual odious occupant called O'Brien would of been proud of , she hasn't changed !, the Tories have ? , she needs a CAT scan IMPO.She says she has had thousands of emails of congratulation from her constituents but doesn't see the need to prove it with a byelection, the bloody coward!

• I've no beef with her. She believes what she believes and has been consistent in that. The question is, how many of her former colleagues who think the same as her, and there are many, will be joining her on the opposition benches?

If the new party to-be starts to get 30+ MPs, then that could cause a "few" problems, especially if they come from the Conservative benches. May is already in a minority government.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I like Kate Hoey, but I fear her time in the Labour party maybe coming to a end soon as she can't stand her hardline proEU colleagues, some of whom have already left and she can't stand the momentum/Corbyn loving bunch either. Piggy in the middle.

• Corbyn has just been on TV saying the Labour MP's who left the party should stand in a by-election, as they no longer support the manifesto they were elected on.

Wow - I agree with Corbyn, for a change.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• It won’t last, flash in the pan.

I believe May is quietly astounded and a little unsettled by the silence of the leave side.

She knows something is out there, we’ve not been rattled by any of the provocative comments dealt out daily by the remainers.

• I think they will pick up a few more.

This is like a running with the hair and the hounds group, the entertainment value could go through the roof.

• Ian Austin, MP for Dudley North, has become the ninth MP to quit Labour this week.

Mr Austin told the BBC he was quitting because the party had become a "narrow sect" under Jeremy Corbyn and had failed to tackle anti-Semitism.

But he said he had no plans to join the new Independent Group of former Labour and Tory MPs.

Another one leaves Labour, the "momentum" is building, excuse the pun.:) But this MP is not joining the new group, perhaps that should become the norm now. Forget parties, the MPs should all become independents.

• Another one leaves Labour, the "momentum" is building, excuse the pun.:) But this MP is not joining the new group, perhaps that should become the norm now. Forget parties, the MPs should all become independents.

He supports Brexit and democracy, so would be like a fish out of water in the new independent group.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• 1 The MPs were re-selected on the last Labour manifesto to respect the result of the referendum.

2 Have you got a link to that yougov poll?

3 Rubbish. But I'd like to see what nonsense yougov have come up with, before arguing further

1 So what? It's just a manifesto. Everyone with at least half a brain knows that it's a wishlist or a good-intention list, which may or may not be implemented, depending on circumstances not envisaged at the time the manifesto was conjured up. It's like a selling brochure rather than a policy contract or terms & conditions. But you already that. You are just pretending to be simple minded. Right?

2 Find it yourself. You don't need to be spoon fed. It's easy. You got a computer. I'm not your f-ing secretary!!

3 No one can convincingly boast of having a completely open mind. But you seem to want to boast of having a completely closed mind. It's unattractive. Why would anyone want to have a civilised debate with someone who is or pretends to be a pigheaded ignoramus?

I think Britain has a chance to be great if it leaves the EU without a BINO-ish deal. If that happens, it will be ins spite of rather than because of you.

PS Somewhere else you say "Forget parties, the MPs should all become independents". Seriously, not a bad idea. Enough party MP's are behaving that way anyhow. All that's needed is to make the voting procedure in the commons more fast and dynamic and let them appoint an upper cabinet of ministers that also form the executive, to represent them and negotiate on their behalf, just as they have acted as appointed representatives of each constituency's electorate. The big obstacle to that happening comes from constituency voters who think along left vs right partisan lines and, like yourself, burble on about a manifesto, a referendum and democracy. Oh yes, also, loads of people in the hall in Question Times last night kept criticising those on the panel of being "disingenuous". Clearly a last-minute addition to their simple vocabulary. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

Edited once, last by casablanca (February 23, 2019 at 4:38 PM).

• The Independent Group of MPs has unanimously elected former Labour MP Gavin Shuker as their "convener" at the group's first meeting, but has not elected a leader.

The eight former Labour MPs and three ex-Conservative MPs met in Westminster for the first time since resigning from their parties last week.

Going by events of last week, it seemed that Chuka Umunna is the default leader of this group. I don't even know what a convener is.

Their mission is to fuck up Brexit, but hey, we already have a government for that!

• Nick Boles: Tory MP quits local party over Brexit

Tory MP Nick Boles is resigning from his local Conservative association after clashing with them over Brexit.

Mr Boles, who wants to remain as MP for Grantham and Stamford, has spoken out about leaving the EU with no deal.

Local activists had wanted to deselect him as their candidate in the next general election because of his stance.

While I respect his principles and he isn't one of these MPs who flip flops around, what is the point of having a elected representative, if they do not represent the views of the majority in their constituency.

Will other MPs clash with their local parties over Brexit?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!