• Isn't this fab? Thai endangered tigers found breeding in the jungle!

A "miraculous" new breeding population of a critically endangered tiger species has been found in a jungle in Thailand.Conservationists captured footage of six cubs among a group of Indochinese tigers, confirming the presence of what is only the world's second known breeding population of the species. Indochinese tigers were once found widely across Asia, but now just 221 are estimated to remain in Thailand and Myanmar.
    Thailand's department of parks and wildlife said the breeding population found in Dong Phayayen-Khao Yai had "remarkable resilience given wildlife poaching and illegal rosewood logging".

link

• Problem is now some humans know where they are, others will find the tigers too.

I keep reading that within my lifetime, all the big cats of the world and the main wild animals in Africa, will be extinct.

I just wish (it won't happen) that the Thai officials go away and don't mark on a map where these tigers are.

• I thought the same thing, but on the other hand, this will create a surge of wildlife enthusiast interest and that could make the tigers popular enough to ensure funds for their protection. (I live in hope.)

• Norway's whale hunt

As I am half Norwegian, this really ticks me off something wicked. Norway should not be killing a single whale. It is completely unnecessary, apart from the fact that it is barbaric and has no place in 21st century environmental consciousness.X(

So few people in Norway want to eat whale meat that it’s ending up in the feed manufactured for animals on fur farms, according to a new document released by the Environmental Investigation Agency, a London-based nonprofit, and the U.S.-based Animal Welfare Institute. The document shows that more than 113 metric tons of minke whale products—equivalent to about 75 whales—was bought or used by Rogaland Pelsdyrfôrlaget, the largest manufacturer of animal feed for Norway’s fur industry.
    In addition to being one of three countries that continues to whale, Norway has a thriving fur industry. Last year, it exported between 258 tons of fox skins and 1,000 tons of mink skins to the European Union, according to the press release.

link

• Norway's whale hunt

As I am half Norwegian, this really ticks me off something wicked. Norway should not be killing a single whale. It is completely unnecessary, apart from the fact that it is barbaric and has no place in 21st century environmental consciousness.X(

Japanese still kill them too. Totally unnecessary. But there are several countries that just view them as big fish, meat on a plate so to speak.

Now the age of synthetic meat is upon us, or about to be, I hope there is a complete rethink about how humans treat animals. Which basically should go along the lines of: if they don't hurt us, we don't hurt them.

• Puffer Fish Crop Circles

Fascinating, and they did that all without the help of little green men and flying saucers!

There is a big theme in scfi about sentience in animals, can animals think and feel? Anyone who has any contact with animals knows they are "aware" living, thinking creatures. That video proves it, at least the thinking bit. It took skill and thinking to do that. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for posting it LW. :)

• Japanese still kill them too. Totally unnecessary. But there are several countries that just view them as big fish, meat on a plate so to speak.

Now the age of synthetic meat is upon us, or about to be, I hope there is a complete rethink about how humans treat animals. Which basically should go along the lines of: if they don't hurt us, we don't hurt them.

I think the manner in which animals are treated is the big thing and because there are so many of us we have started to see them as meaningless, insentient beings put there by God, Providence or sheer luck to feed us. Long ago, these food animals were classed as sacred and so was the system (Nature) in which they had their manifestation. The hunt was a sacred affair and the cave paintings were magical ways to keep the animals in the world.

Killing things we don't need is the big problem and killing wild animals is unnecessary, so whales, fur animals, etc need no longer be persecuted or driven to extinction.

But - if humans do not so something drastic about limiting and then reducing their birth rate, humans will destroy the biological integrity of environments all on their own and change the climate so radically that Nature finally gets the hump and reduces our numbers for us.

The whole idea in educating the ignorant, the overly religious and the selfish is to prevent this ultimate scenario.

No one has come up with a better solution than education and contraception. These have worked well for the west, but if others don't play ball they will simply continue the destruction, invade places where there are fewer humans and finally become their own worst enemies.

One must fight for the integrity not only of one's own folk but also for the integrity of the land on which that folk resides. This way all people can contribute to conservation and ensure the continuation of food supplies and biodiversity.

We have no way to stop Nature from destroying us large scale at the moment and so if a renegade meteorite hits or a volcanic disaster large enough to blot out the sun for some time happens then we shall be pretty much stuffed. But apart from that, which is remote at the moment, we are the curse that is affecting the planet's balance. We have to become less hedonistic, wasteful and plain stupid about our existence, and existence in general.

I believe that some people have this ability naturally by being able to respond to Nature appropriately, but others are crazy and turn this into a cult and the majority simply don't give a toss. There lies the rub. Add the fact that making money motivates a lot of destructiveness and you have a recipe for ultimate collapse of any overworked system.

• Fascinating, and they did that all without the help of little green men and flying saucers!

There is a big theme in scfi about sentience in animals, can animals think and feel? Anyone who has any contact with animals knows they are "aware" living, thinking creatures. That video proves it, at least the thinking bit. It took skill and thinking to do that. Wonderful stuff. Thanks for posting it LW. :)

;) Animals are our fellow travellers. We used to see them this way.

Then came the "we are God's chosen people" idea and all else went out of the window. Nature became our heap of raw materials, we became "stewards of the earth", Nature lost its soul and the whole way of things was altered and skewed by this ideology of preferment and reward and punishment. The planet shrank to a little plot where God and Satan played out their petty feuds.

It has blighted much of humanity ever since. :(

Religions and ideologies that are organised and dependent on obsessive ideas and injunctions based on mere suppositions of consequences prevent people from growing up spiritually and keep them in the nursery of dictatorship. This also causes them to spend a lot of their time seeking out the enemies of their ideology as though this were some sort of designated life chore.

Unless that comes to an end, humanity is always going to see the life-world as something unrelated to what it is and many are going to have difficulty placing themselves alongside puffer fish and dolphins, eagles, sparrows and scorpions. Existence is going to be obscured by a belief about it.

• Sometimes among the bad news, there is a little light when a killer gets his comeuppance.

Big-game hunter crushed to death as dying elephant takes revenge

Ha-ha-ha-ha ... you piece of crap.

link

• I agree Little Wing. It's scary how much of the rainforest has disappeared and anything that can make countries take action against the illegal deforestation is to be applauded.

Greenpeace have been very active trying to get Brazil to face up to its responsibilities to safeguard both its rainforest and the lives of the indigenous peoples that live there. Although I can understand the difficulties Brazil faces trying to manage the problem it is up to them to at least try to control the damage being done.

An article by Greenpeace can be seen here..... http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/forests/amazon-rainforest/

• What happened to the forest natives is so appalling it beggars belief. What is happening to all the wildlife that relies on the forests is the same. Chased out all over the world.

I am a fan of the film Avatar. The killing of the tree says it all but is very hard to watch.

• I went from this thread to try to find just that song by Enya.

I remembered listening to the track by Enya when I stumbled across a video made to accompany the song "The Killing of the Trees" so have put it up on the music thread.

• Darwin said there are seven special places on the Earth that sustain the whole planet, destroy them and you destroy the world and us with it. The Brazilian rain forest is Earth's equivalent of our lungs. Destroy it and we cannot breathe.

I am sure with improved farming methods and technology, there are enough ways to feed people without destroying any more trees.

I like trees, although in my road, I am a minority.

• I saw a really amusing report a few days ago, can't remember where. Orcas are chasing the fishermen out of the Bering Sea. Apparently organised groups of Orcas are stealing their fish.

Humans don't like it uppem.

• This daft huggy-doodle "green" attitude where you watch them and "love" them because they are some sort of spirit being, etc is backfiring in the way animals themselves are responding. The animals aren't mad, it's us. We're nuttier than a fruitcake factory.

The ocean has been pillaged to virtual extinction of species by humans, is used as a dump for garbage, plastic and sewage.

Orcas are actually one of the species that controls sharks. Off the coast of South Africa, recently, shark carcasses were found that had been slit open and the nutritious livers taken out. Very neat job. Other shark carcasses have been stripped of meat. Pods of Orcas were seen patrolling the sea in the area. There you go. The fluffy bunny Orcas are predators and so we don't need to kill great white sharks as healthy numbers of Orcas will do it for us and provide food for smaller fish from the carcasses. The sharks themselves are the vacuum cleaners of the deep and the seas would stink with rotting carcasses if they were to become extinct. Sea vultures. Balance. No fluffs, just Nature doing her thing.

It's disappointing for many as they have a fairy tale view of Nature. But our ancestors understood it. Somewhere along the line, we dumped our ancestors and all their wisdom and took up a crazy culture of Shangri-la made worse by Hakuna Matata on steroids. Serves us right if the world fights back.

• Nature has, had, a balance and we mess with it at our peril.

I can't remember where I saw this, but there was a region of Africa, or perhaps somewhere else in the world where all wildlife had died out due to the collapse of the local eco system and the scientists could not understand why this happened when the region was so rich in varied life.

Although I cannot remember the exact details, it was something like the rhinos (or other animal) go to die in water which scientists were unaware of. When the rhinos (or whatever animal it was) go to the lake to die, their bodies fed a whole eco system. When the animals were wiped out by hunters in this region, they could not go to this lake/river to die and thus the eco system collapsed.

Probably on one of David Attenborough's programmes, it was on only within the last few years. If I can find the details, I'll post them.

• ‘Uncontacted’ Amazon Tribe Members Reported Killed in Brazil

SÃO PAULO, Brazil — They were members of an uncontacted tribe gathering eggs along the river in a remote part of the Amazon. Then, it appears, they had the bad luck of running into gold miners.

Now, federal prosecutors in Brazil have opened an investigation into the reported massacre of about 10 members of the tribe, the latest evidence that threats to endangered indigenous groups are on the rise in the country.

Link

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Oh dear, just read the headline. Will read the full story later.

What utter bastards who've done this. :cursing: Hope they get an ending like a character from season one of Game of Thrones, who had a golden finish.

• Snow leopard off endangered list

Link

This is great news. Many have campaigned for years to try to drag this beautiful cat back from the brink.

• Yep, Good news. If they're left alone, creatures can make a come back.

Be interested to see what happens to another white coloured mammal, the polar bear. Now the ice is melting, they're coming into more contact with people and other species of bears.

• This will have happened before, historically, as the polar ice has come and gone before in geological time.

The polar bear's greatest problem will be the impact of humans on the environment the polar bear might seek as an alternative hunting habitat. We've fished out the oceans and are occupying so much land that everything else has been pushed to extremities anyway. When these creatures try to invade to survive, humans will simply kill them.

Conservationists will need to think of plans to accommodate arctic creatures if the ice melts far enough. Of course the ice may stop melting and refreeze. That remains to be seen over time, but humans will continue to expand and destroy the environment and consume the habitats of wildlife no matter what happens.

Humans are unstoppable by anything but chronic natural disaster. They begin their problematic rise to overpopulation the day after, even the first few moments after. Their violence, indiscriminate breeding, high fertility and intelligence have made them capable of great disruption and misery.

Humans have only two natural enemies now, Nature and each other.

• The Polar bears greatest problem is disappearing ice sheets. Their hunting method involves staking out vent holes and catching seals as the come up for air.

The breaking up of the ice sheets means they cannot range over such a large area and seals can surface anywhere.

On a nice note the red kite is now abundant in the Cotswolds after facing extinction 20 years ago. I visited my nephew there a few months back and it was great to watch two pairs circling over head.