When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • As the current series draws to a close, I wonder how much more the producers will drag this show out for. The last 5-6 episodes of the current season has been particularly boring and the whole season has been leading up to the final episodes. It had better be good!

How many more years can this show carry on for?

• I see where you're coming from LW.

Having seen death close up recently and the long run up to it, there is no comparison, in my opinion, between the real thing and zombies. It's just pure fantasy and admittedly more a "boys" show than one for the ladies.

BTW: How did you get that big smiley?

• As the current series draws to a close, I wonder how much more the producers will drag this show out for. The last 5-6 episodes of the current season has been particularly boring and the whole season has been leading up to the final episodes. It had better be good!

How many more years can this show carry on for?

My daughter was into it so I watched a few and it seemed OK so I had a go at watching from the start, but it's another one that drags and drags so I gave up with it. I thought the concept was good for a bit of OTT entertainment but Jesus Christ pick up the pace a bit!

Do you think these series will slowly go out of fashion? I can't believe so many people have enough time to watch them all, or that they put up with the snail's pace plotlines. Drives me up the wall...! Are they addictive like other people are addicted to Eastenders etc.?

• Can't speak about the soaps Hoxton, as I got off that particular "drug" years ago. I like to stay as cheerful as possible and those soaps would drive me to suicide.

American shows do tend to be long both in the amount of episodes per "season" either 12 or 22 episodes being the norm and the amount of years that an average American show airs for, which is usually several.

There has been moments of brilliance in The Walking Dead, but it is no Game of Thrones, which is a multi layered story. TWD is basically a story about the monsters, the monsters being not the zombies but people.

The first half of this season was pretty good, but the last several episodes have dragged. Unfortunately, the plot of the entire season has been about the fight to come in the last episode which airs next week. So, basic story telling, but I will stick will it.

One of my "recent" favourite American shows, now ended, was The Good Wife. Again, it went on for several years and yes it did become repetitive and I almost gave up on it, but it is such a multi layered, well written, humorous and well acted show, that I stuck with it to the end.

I used to love our British shows and thought they were superior in every way to the brash commercially driven American stuff. But these days I hardly watch our tv. I turn the box on only to watch something specific on catch up, or on one of the on demand services. Our main channels are dominated by soap, celebrity crap and reality shows. How many more times do we need to see someone inspecting a dirty restaurant, hotel or going down the sewers, all at dinner time?

So, while I agree that American shows do drag on they are far better, written and executed than our own shows. When our "quality" shows like Vera or Call the Midwife are on, I'll be watching shows like The Good Wife, House, GoT, Hell on Wheels and Bates Motel (both, excellent US cable shows) Homeland etc And what all these shows have in common is they either star British actors and/or are written and produced by Britons.

There is good British tv, it just has American accents!

• That's a lot of telly H!

I love TV, but I do the "binge watch" thing these days. Awful term, I know, but accurate.

If you take a series like House, each season had around 22 episodes of around 42ish minutes each and there are eight seasons of them....

But, apart from news and parliament stuff, I only usually watch tv on demand. I never watch adverts and I never watch soaps or the bulk of the other stuff on our channels, ie all the reality stuff, x factor type shows etc.

It all started with the American show 24. I missed the first series on Sky, so bought the dvd box set when it came out and the rest is history. My viewing habits changed forever from that point on.

But yes, I do watch a lot of TV which is why my brain is mush! It adds up to about four hours a day, an evening's worth of viewing, which is considered the "norm" now.

My new (not so new now) neighbours put their tvs on at 7am and turn them off at just after 10pm... So, I'm not quite as bad as them!

• Trailer for the new season has just been released:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Looking good!

• I saw a good take on the traditional zombie film - The Girl With All The Gifts. I can't explain why I liked it or it will give it away but it was a good one.

Walking Dead as I say seems OK but 8 seasons??!! If the story was going somewhere maybe I'd have stuck with it but it just seems to meander whilst the production company are still able to milk it. Eventually even the thin story lines they are flogging will dry up, everyone will get bored and they'll cancel it leaving me bloody annoyed that I got into it (e.g. Heroes and V). These series aren't for me, plus I don't have the time anyway!

• The producers definitely have milked The Walking Dead. Some episodes have been utter brilliant, great stories, great action, while others have made you feel like one of the zombies. It should've been no more than 5 seasons, but that's yanks for you.

I did like Heroes, but I admit, I did wander, but I will go back to it. If you meant the new series of V, that was only 2 seasons and it was okay, but changing everything to terrorist related was silly.

Never seen The Girl With All The Gifts. I'll give it a try, thanks for the heads up.:thumbup:

• Heroes started off fine but they obviously had no idea where the story was going and it rapidly went downhill. Lost was the same. Those early experiences put me off these series in general and the handful I've had a go at since (because "everyone" is watching them) such as Breaking Bad seemed pretty dull so I've pretty much given up with the lot of them now...

• I did stick it out with Lost, but I did get, err, lost with it. It went on for far too long, but it was a terrific story. I don't think think they'd ever been a series like that before.

Only seen the first series of Breaking Bad so far. Really liked it.

Assuming they don't get cancelled after a few episodes or one season, American series' do go on for a very long time and full seasons usually have 22 episodes, but overall, I much prefer them to our stuff now. Apart from a splattering of BBC dramas, what do we have to watch from our own country, if you don't like reality,soap, or celebrity crap? Very little.

What kind of stuff, do you like to watch Hoxton, I might be able to recommend some (American) shows for you to try?

• I can't do any rambling US series any more - not just lack of inclination but lack of time too these days. I'll stick to films or the occasional series with stand alone episodes where it doesn't matter if you miss the odd one or, more likely in my case, completely forget everything that happened prior to the episode you're actually watching. Actually that's probably why I don't get into these marathon series. I always forget who everyone is and what happened a couple of seasons ago...

I probably watch more than I think but I'm aware of watching on telly is films (anything except rom coms), football, Dr Who, Casualty (don't ask me why), Sky at Night and similar, plus my missus is into survival programmes so I half watch some of those.

• The Walking Dead returns to American screens Sunday and we get it the next day.:)

Season 8 official trailer:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!