When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • :rolleyes: It had to happen at some stage, I suppose. I made a pets thread.

This is Big Louis the African Grey parrot. We've had him for 25 years. He is not tame but is very chatty and friendly to those he chooses to like. Loves action and noise. Goes ga-ga if anyone does building or uses a noisy electrical tool anywhere nearby. Shouts and hoots and chatters to them all day. If they answer him back, he goes ballistic with joy. Love him to bits.

louis1.jpg

• He looks like he's got the hump! :D Fine looking bird.

Can we see your dog too?

As for me, I have never been allowed pets, so I am afraid I will have to look on with envy in this thread.

• Yes, he's fond of puffing himself up when he is intrigued or full of mischief. He has a history and a trauma in his life. He escaped once and had a terrible accident, broke his wing in two places after two dogs got hold of him when he came down exhausted against a hill. It was terrible. A parrot's tale of epic proportions. :D

• He's huge, brave, goes everywhere with me. He had a companion girl but she was much older than him and died recently. Pain of arthritis got too bad and we had to say goodbye.

She was a warrior girly as well and named after Princess Leia of Star Wars because when she came home in a cardboard box, to stop her falling around in the car as she was only 8 weeks old, her ears hadn't stood up yet and as soon as I saw her peeking over the box rim I thought, "Princess Leia!". Her ears were on each side of her head like those things Leia wore her hair in in the early Star Wars films.Thus did she become that space lady's namesake. Her ears stood up royally later on, of course, but the name stuck. :D

This is Leia:

leia.jpg

• She just started collapsing when the arthritis got to the nerves and squished them too hard. Enormous pain and when the painkillers didn't work any more and she one day just fell down and couldn't get up - it was time. Poor Fylkiru went into mourning and has only recently really come out of his despair that she is gone.

• Bereavement tales 6 months of pretty hard core depression as a rule and this goes for divorces and such like too. Loss, in other words, can take 6 months to work itself into numbness and then fade away as the mind finds its levels.

Of course loss creates a change and the experience of the way of loss creates memories that don't just vanish, they hang around and come and go and plant themselves in the garden of life so we eventually get used to them and they stop piercing holes in us.

Best way is not to bottle them.

• And behold a light shone upon him from above and a voice spoke unto him saying ... "The neighbour's cat is planning an invasion, watch ye the wall top and never let thine eyes leave the place of the evil one's imminent arrival."

thevoice.jpg

• That's my gas powered old Blackberry phone for you 8) Occasionally it does something interesting, bless its tatty socks. I didn't have my camera with me and opportunities like this always manage to present themselves when you don't have your camera.

• My brother and sister-in-law are cat people. Big time. They once had a colony of ten. All rescues. Before that, long ago, when they were fist married they had five which were obtained as kittens and were pedigrees. They named them after Italian sports cars.

Here's Barry (aka The Red Baron) in his favourite position. He is a stray. I think they found him as a kitten, hiding in the storm water drain on their street. He's an absolute love. Whenever I visit he comes and meows at me for ages. Very talkative and hospitable. They have only three cats left now as they needed to downsize on account of feeding costs. They have had some real characters in the past.

Barry.jpg

• Once our Ben has his pain medication he gets into the most interesting positions.

reduced%20yoga%20for%20cats_zpsifdzjrjl.jpg

He doesn't appreciate being seen in such undignified poses so he hid away in a corner of the conservatory as he says it would ruin his street cred if his mates saw him doing Yoga. I quite upset his day taking this photo and seconds later he stalked off flicking his tail high in the air in what he thought was a superior way. :D

• He's lovely. He probably won't like that description much, but he reminds me of one of my brother's queens, also a stray. Lovely creature, looked like your Ben. Very fluffy, I think some sort of Persian cross. A rescue from the gutter again. She had amazing brown leggings and so my brother called her Gucci Boots. She lived to a very ripe old age. Was a bit of a Barbie.

• He's at home there in our garden. :)

Agree with you about animals. Intelligent and sentient beings, bless 'em. The whole world of fellow travellers is filled with all manner of these. I also don't know why humans decided to junk the way they used to think of things and take up some silly, self centred view.

• Long weekend as today is a public holiday (Heritage day) where I am. Went to the parrot rescue centre about 40 mins drive from us and bought a lovely little African Grey hen for Big Louis. Her name is Toffee, and here she is, watching proceedings as Mr Wing prepares her new aviary for her.

She' a sweetie pie. I will be getting her used to me and the dog and her new home this week and by the weekend she will be able to go into her new aviary for the days, but will be brought in at night. When she's used to Louis, she will go and live with him in his aviary.

Amazing the parrots at the rescue centre. Blue and gold macaws, red macaws, cockatoos and even a huge blue hyacinth macaw. Breaks your heart to see some of them in various stages of neglect and abuse. Wonderful lady runs the little centre and relies on donations.

Toffee says Hi ...

toffee.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!