When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Since I was last on here I have acquired a rescue rosy cheeked lovebird. I looked out of my study window one morning and there it was flat out on the paving under the window. It looked dead. Then I saw it give a little sigh, so I phoned Mr Wing who was on a walk with the dog and he came home and tried to catch it. He's quite good at this and has caught a few before.

Fortunately it was so weak it couldn't put up much resistance and he crept up on it and trapped it in the fish pond net. It was a windy day so I called it Drafty and to be honest I didn't think it would live.

It thrived and has its own aviary next to the parrots.

It was part of a group of about five variegated lovebirds someone must have let out of their aviary because they either didn't want them any more or they were going away. So cruel. There was a blue one and some masked ones.

They came around for a bit and then vanished. But then one returned, looking terrible, starved, weak and with a broken leg or foot. We tried to catch it but this isn't going to happen. He's too wild now, so I put out some grub and he started to eat and is starting to look better. His foot was very swollen and hanging badly so looked broken. They often chew off the damaged bit in this case and it seems that this is what he has done now. He seems to have one peg leg. He comes every day for his snack and sits in the tree over the aviaries for companionship . He's getting quite tame. Maybe eventually we'll be able to catch him and have a look at what is wrong. Poor little creature.

• I hope the lame lovebird decides to be adopted, Little Wing, and well done for saving the other poor lovebird.

I rescued a baby wren the other week. It flew (fluttered) into our bungalow and sat on top of the TV, and I had to do a quick sortie to shove our saluki out the room, as he has strong chase instincts. I managed to catch it and returned it the large cotoneaster, where I think it was raised.

I hope it's parents found it and it survived.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Thanks Fidget. I'll try and get a pic of Choco. I've given him a name as he looks like he put his head in a cocoa tin. He's coming to sit on lower branches now and flies down to scoff whatever I put down before I've left the scene, so if I'm very careful and patient, he may decide that I'm a friend and come closer. I feel so sorry for him. He's very brave.

• :rolleyes: It had to happen at some stage, I suppose. I made a pets thread.

This is Big Louis the African Grey parrot. We've had him for 25 years. He is not tame but is very chatty and friendly to those he chooses to like. Loves action and noise. Goes ga-ga if anyone does building or uses a noisy electrical tool anywhere nearby. Shouts and hoots and chatters to them all day. If they answer him back, he goes ballistic with joy. Love him to bits.

'Big Louis' lol, I used to know someone who had an African Grey, quite remarkable how clearly he spoke. It was almost like a person mimicking a parrot and sometimes you couldn't get a word in, he could be quite vocal bless him. Obviously intelligent birds. You've had him for 25 years, good heavens, is that because he's in captivity?..

• I hope the lame lovebird decides to be adopted, Little Wing, and well done for saving the other poor lovebird.

Here, here. I second that. Well done LW.:thumbup:

I rescued a baby wren the other week. It flew (fluttered) into our bungalow and sat on top of the TV, and I had to do a quick sortie to shove our saluki out the room, as he has strong chase instincts. I managed to catch it and returned it the large cotoneaster, where I think it was raised.

I hope it's parents found it and it survived.

Love wrens. You given it a good chance Fidget.:thumbup:

• 'Big Louis' lol, I used to know someone who had an African Grey, quite remarkable how clearly he spoke. It was almost like a person mimicking a parrot and sometimes you couldn't get a word in, he could be quite vocal bless him. Obviously intelligent birds. You've had him for 25 years, good heavens, is that because he's in captivity?..

They can live a long time, his mate died aged around 40 or maybe more. She was ancient. A feisty little old lady and with a huge sense of humour.

Damn a power failure. Will continue later. :cursing:

• Lovely bird. :)

Choco looks quite plump, or he has his feathers fluffed up. He has shown real fortitude and deserves to do well.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I adore German Shepherds. They are my favourite breed, but I love most dogs anyway, regardless of breed.

• How old is he now, LW?

He looks very happy and content.:thumbup:

I can't believe how time has flown. He will be six on the 18th of this month. It seems like yesterday he was a little fuzzball whose mouth was too small to get round a tennis ball.

• I adore German Shepherds. They are my favourite breed, but I love most dogs anyway, regardless of breed.

I love GSDs too :) I am an animal lover so I like them all as well, but I have liked German Shepherds since I was very young. My first one was when I was fifteen. The neighbour's ill treated girl that I finally managed to get from them when I was sixteen. She used to visit me every day when she lived with a man who used to beat her with a broom and lock her in a cupboard.

• Hello Choco!

I like my food too!^^

I managed to get a look at Choco this morning through the binoculars. He is definitely without a foot now so he must have chewed it off. He's getting along well on his peg leg and I think the pain and trauma of what happened to him is abating. When I first noticed him in a terrible state, starved and almost dead at the lovebird's aviary I didn't think he'd make it. He seemed to have no tail and I suspect he was the victim of an attempted cat kill. Lost his tail and broke his foot at the "ankle". It was very swollen so to avoid infection he has chewed the foot off. The stump looks okay and I saw him having a conservative little puddle in the bird bath. I think he's doing okay. Twice the size he was. I hope he makes it through the winter as it's getting really cold.

• Back after five and a half hours of blackout.

Oddly enough we had a power cut a few days ago, nothing serious (Unless you're on life support I suppose lol) we were only down for 5 mins but it did evoke memories of the 1960's when power cuts were fairly common.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!