When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm actually considering purchasing a Mac Mini and building a media server. The problem with an Apple TV is it being IOS and being very restrictive along with a lack of user control over the system. This is not only important from a privacy and security perspective but also with what you can install and run, including a Linux and Window system if one wanted to do so either nativley or in a virtual enviroment. There's many good open source softwares out there as well.

NO. NO. Don't go down the hellish Mac route.

I'll speak to you more about this tomorrow.

Burn Apple, burn!:evil::D

• https://advanced-television.com/2024/01/17/app…on-pro-content/

Interesting development from Apple+ TV.

[EXTRACT]

Apple TV+ has unveiled a selection of original content, produced with Apple Immersive Video, that will become available in the Apple TV app on Apple Vision Pro when it launches on February 2nd. Apple Immersive Video is a new entertainment format pioneered by Apple that aims to transport viewers to the centre of a story with 180-degree 3D 8K recordings captured with Spatial Audio.

Apple Vision Pro will offer a curated selection of vivid series and films including Prehistoric Planet Immersive, a new short film and entertainment experience inspired by Jon Favreau’s acclaimed Apple Original series Prehistoric Planet that will transport viewers 70 million years in the past to put the viewer right in the middle of the action; and, Adventure, a new series taking users to the most remote places on earth to stand beside extreme athletes as they take on challenges, like highlining with pro Faith Dickey.

• https://advanced-television.com/2024/01/17/app…on-pro-content/

Interesting development from Apple+ TV.

[EXTRACT]

Apple TV+ has unveiled a selection of original content, produced with Apple Immersive Video, that will become available in the Apple TV app on Apple Vision Pro when it launches on February 2nd. Apple Immersive Video is a new entertainment format pioneered by Apple that aims to transport viewers to the centre of a story with 180-degree 3D 8K recordings captured with Spatial Audio.

Apple Vision Pro will offer a curated selection of vivid series and films including Prehistoric Planet Immersive, a new short film and entertainment experience inspired by Jon Favreau’s acclaimed Apple Original series Prehistoric Planet that will transport viewers 70 million years in the past to put the viewer right in the middle of the action; and, Adventure, a new series taking users to the most remote places on earth to stand beside extreme athletes as they take on challenges, like highlining with pro Faith Dickey.

And bang on queue in a global recession somebody regurgitates another variant of 3D TV and movies. Anyone fancy buying some more new kit?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Apple have always been very good with picture quality and that is taking it right to the limit. The pic quality can't go beyond this, so it will be interesting to see how long other companies move in the direction too.

• Well, yeah in some cases.

More pixels can mean higher quality, or higher quality bad picture quality, if that makes any sense.

8k in itself doesn't guarantee quality, it guarantees the amount of pixels, but Apple are good at this, so I'm sure the bit rates will be there.

• AppleTV+ emerges as most popular streamer in Q4, but doubts remain
    Kantar’s latest data on the Global Video on Demand (VOD) market reveals a surge in growth during the last quarter of the year.
    www.broadbandtvnews.com

I quite like AppleTV+. I expect the high churn rates are subscribers going in and out according to new content and getting a good choice of streamers as cheaply as possible.

The big beasts like Netflix and Amazon Prime will have a more stable subscriber base due to their superior content libraries.

• I accidentally subscribed to Apple TV last month. I know I didn't do it consciously, I upgraded my iCloud storage from the cheapest to the next level to get more storage space and then I get a confirmation for signing up to Apple TV. They are taking the money as well but I didn't actually sign up. On this occasion I don't mind because I was going to sign up anyway and dump Disney+ so I guess I need to get on a actually cancel Disney now...

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I know some people, especially in the States. rave about Apple tv, but from my limited experience with it, I'm not impressed.

I love the UI. Apple knows how to do that stuff and Apple's UI is the best looking in my view and easy to use and would be my favourite interface if I used it frequently.

But the shows, oh dear. Ok, I've only seen a few, but not impressed so far and as far as Foundation goes, bloody annoyed. What is my most favourite scifi books ever, has been ruined by Apple. The series looks great, Apple makes all its stuff look great, but the show bears no resemblance to the books.

And I was really looking forward to Invasion, but by the end of the 1st series, if it were a choice to watch another season of this show or slicing through a vein, I would choose the vein option. That would be a faster death than watching this show.

See, is the other show I've seen and again, it's okay, but it's just that, okay. Only watched the first season and I doubt I will go back to it.

Apple is a clear player and going nowhere and up until the other day, I assumed, as did most other media pundits, that they would ultimately buy Disney. But as I've said on the mergers thread, with Elon Musk's likely involvement in Disney to happen soon, I don't see Disney selling out to Apple now.

So where does that leave Apple? It can remain a niche player with only a handful of shows, but can it survive like that? I'm not sure. Perhaps with so many devices, Apple has a massive inbuilt customer base, but is that all it wants from its streamer, to be just the "value added extra" for its devices? We'll see.

But I think its moves into sports over the last year or so, has shown where Apple's thinking is and they want to be a serious player, perhaps even THE player in streaming ultimately.

I've said for ages now, that it's the tech giants that are becoming the new media companies, the new Hollywood and Apple will be one of those players. Old Hollywood can't compete against companies that are worth one trillion, two trillion+ dollars and in the end, Apple may even still buy Disney or someone like Paramount to massively boost its content library and compete with the likes of Netflix and Amazon.

• I'm not a super fan of the user interface, the new one is better, but still annoys. Also their app crashes on my Roku occasionally, and far too regularly the audio sync goes off, though less than it used to thankfully.

The shows are of a consistently high quality, and tent to be a little more unusual than other content providers, which I appreciate.

I also love the Foundation books, but I disagree. (I've only watched Season 1 at this point though and about to start S2.) The first book always struck me as unfilmable, so they needed to be creative in the approach. Some of the look was unexpected, and I don't like that strange monument, I know what it's meant to be, but that's not how it was in the book at all and is weirdness for weird sake. Overall they need to hammer home the point more about societies needing to retain knowledge and then crumbling because they built themselves so many layers high, and forgot how the lowest layers worked and they decayed, stopped working and civilisation crumbled as a result. The problem with making a film or TV show on the books is the scale of the ideas covered and how you convey it. Book 1 is particularly difficult, not helped by the huge span of time it covers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!