Apple TV+

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Apple has unveiled its new TV streaming platform, Apple TV+, at a star-studded event in California.

Jennifer Aniston, Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey were among those who took to the stage at Apple's headquarters to reveal their involvement in TV projects commissioned by the tech giant.

The platform will include shows from existing services like Hulu and HBO.

Apple has announced that it is too launch a streaming tv service in the Autumn called Apple TV+. It will be a global streaming service initially available in 100 countries including the UK. No prices were given for the service, but the service will be available on non-Apple devices too like Samsung smart tvs and the Amazon Fire tv stick.

Apple are throwing a lot of dosh at creating their own original shows including one from the maker of Battlestar Galactica called For All Mankind and a series based on Isaac Asivov's famous scifi book series Foundation. From Steven Spielberg, Reese Witherspoon to Oprah Winfrey, Apple are attracting a lot of big name talent. A full list of Apple original shows is here.

Apple are also launching a news subscription service featuring content from over 300 magazines called Apple News+ which will cost £7.50 per month and will launch in the UK later on in the year, but only on Apple devices.

Apple is also launching a video game service too in the Autumn called Apple Arcade which will allow players to choose from over 100 exclusive games via the app store and play them offline.

Will you subscribe when the tv service launches, or any of the other services? They're also launching a credit card too, to try and get you spending even more with them!

• Apple TV+ is preparing to launch its new movie and TV subscription service in November, with a free trial to be available to customers.

Hot on the heels of Disney's announcement the other day about its launch date for its streamer, Apple has come out with its own launch date and it hopes to beat Disney by a few days and unlike Disney, Apple TV+ will be available in the UK on launch day.

Apple also made a surprising admission, rather than spending a few billion dollars on content which they'd originally announced, they're actually spending several and could in time be a serious competitor to Netflix if that amount is sustained,

• Apple also made a surprising admission, rather than spending a few billion dollars on content which they'd originally announced, they're actually spending several and could in time be a serious competitor to Netflix if that amount is sustained,

Well they do have $squillions in the bank. Makes sense to invest some of that to ensure that their TV service gets off with flying colours.

• A new streaming service is coming to the UK from Apple! Accessible via iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac and all that Apple-y gubbins, Apple TV+ will be launching with an intriguing slate of new series and films, and if you buy an Apple device from henceforth, you'll get a free one-year subscription to it.

If you're not planning on buying any more expensive Apple-branded products in the near future, however, a subscription will set you back £4.99 a month when the service launches on 1st November.

Apple announced the price of their upcoming streamer yesterday, but if you're expecting Game of Thrones style sex and violence in any Apple show, forget it, it will be squeaky clean.

• Just noticed that the Apple app is now on my fire tv stick.

It has a nice interface, but they seem to be going down the Amazon route with having third party content that you can purchase per film/show. Separate "channels" that you can subscribe to and then the new bit, their + service which you pay a sub for and which contains their own shows.

• Apple TV+ increases prices in the UK > RXTV info
    The price of an Apple TV+ subscription is about to go up by 28.6% in the UK. Existing subscribers will be billed the higher rate in their next billing cycle.
    rxtvinfo.com

Going by the last post in this thread which was in 2019, I think I can guess at this, but does anyone subscribe to Apple+ and be affected by these price rises?

• I do, too. The library isn’t as big as the main streamers, but a lot of what they have on there is worth watching.

We are currently following Hijack, Your Honour, For All Mankind, See and Silo. I have Emancipation to look forward to as well as some other good stuff such as Lessons in Chemistry and Strange Planet.

I fully intend to keep my Apple+ subscription, but I won’t be renewing Disney+.

• We are currently following Hijack, Your Honour, For All Mankind, See and Silo. I have Emancipation to look forward to as well as some other good stuff such as Lessons in Chemistry and Strange Planet.

Ahhh....:whistling:

We have a tv forum and obviously people are watching tv, but not created threads about shows they are watching.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch less youtube and more normal tv. :)

• Yes, YouTube is good for some casual viewing, but the best viewing is from the occasional good stuff on the big five terrestrial TV channels and the streamers.

The quality of our viewing has never been so good.

• I do, too. The library isn’t as big as the main streamers, but a lot of what they have on there is worth watching.

We are currently following Hijack, Your Honour, For All Mankind, See and Silo. I have Emancipation to look forward to as well as some other good stuff such as Lessons in Chemistry and Strange Planet.

I fully intend to keep my Apple+ subscription, but I won’t be renewing Disney+.

Be interesting to see if others do the same as you over the next few years.

Apple are not making the same volume of shows that Netflix makes, but what they do make, they seem to spend a lot of money on. An awful lot.

• What interests you on there?

I'll be resuming Foundation (my main reason for returning), The Morning Show, Central Park and See. I have no idea if Schmigadoon is back.

I will probably start For All Mankind.

Be interesting to see if others do the same as you over the next few years.

Apple are not making the same volume of shows that Netflix makes, but what they do make, they seem to spend a lot of money on. An awful lot.

And I'll be forever grateful, I never thought Foundation would get made.

• Ah, now that looks much better! I really did not like the old User UI, which looked out of date and clunky.

Apple TV app gets makeover
    Apple has redesigned its Apple TV app in a move the Cupertino company will make it easier for subscribers to find their content.
    www.broadbandtvnews.com
  • I'm actually considering purchasing a Mac Mini and building a media server. The problem with an Apple TV is it being IOS and being very restrictive along with a lack of user control over the system. This is not only important from a privacy and security perspective but also with what you can install and run, including a Linux and Window system if one wanted to do so either nativley or in a virtual enviroment. There's many good open source softwares out there as well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!