Local Elections Thursday 2nd of May 2019.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Are the local elections on Thursday 2nd of May the perfect opportunity to send parliament and the government a warning shot about our feelings of how they have dealt with Brexit?

I for one will be looking to vote for any party other than Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem, I just hope others will take this opportunity and do likewise.

• Didn't even realise there will be local elections. I'm not sure if they'll cover my area or not as London and a few other places has local elections at different times to the rest of the country.

To answer your question Ron, if Brexit isn't resolved by the time of these elections, then I'd imagine the hordes would react and send a clear message to Westminster.

• Oh, yes. I am really looking forward to making my vote on 2nd May! It may not achieve total obliteration of LibLabCon, but hopefully it will be enough to show our contempt for them.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• To answer your question Ron, if Brexit isn't resolved by the time of these elections, then I'd imagine the hordes would react and send a clear message to Westminster.

Even if Brexit is resolved the message needs to be sent that parliament and government can't fuck with democracy and pick and choose what the voting public are allowed to make a decision on, if they give the voting public the choice then they have no right blocking the choice is that is made end of.

• Even if Brexit is resolved the message needs to be sent that parliament and government can't fuck with democracy and pick and choose what the voting public are allowed to make a decision on, if they give the voting public the choice then they have no right blocking the choice is that is made end of.

That's my view too, Ron. The main parties, who have let us down in a very big and dangerous way, can no longer be supported. I sympathise with those MP's and councillors who have supported Brexit, but they are part of an organisation that is willing to destroy democracy. If they truly believe in democracy they must reform their own party, or leave it.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• That's my view too, Ron. The main parties, who have let us down in a very big and dangerous way, can no longer be supported. I sympathise with those MP's and councillors who have supported Brexit, but they are part of an organisation that is willing to destroy democracy. If they truly believe in democracy they must reform their own party, or leave it.

I caught a bit of the proceedings in Westminster yesterday and this was the point that John Redwood was making. He said, like all other MPs, he stood for re-election based on his party's manifesto which pledged that no deal was better than a bad deal, yet May and parliament has ruled that out now.

• I like John Redwood. I regularly read his blog. He is a democrat, a rarity in Parliament.

• Didn't even realise there will be local elections. I'm not sure if they'll cover my area or not as London and a few other places has local elections at different times to the rest of the country.

To answer your question Ron, if Brexit isn't resolved by the time of these elections, then I'd imagine the hordes would react and send a clear message to Westminster.

If you start seeing a wave of Brexit party councillors, then the Tories may well be in the shit.

It didnt happen last time, because after the local elections, when UKIP picked up lots of seats, everyone thought the Tories had got the message and would pull thier socks up and get on with brexit, so then they didnt vote UKIP in the election, but went back to the tories. Then May called another election, and came masively unstuck.. I dont think that will happen this time. I think people are now so pissed off with May, they have lost massive support that will continue to stay away until the Tories earn some electoral respect. And as we saw last time with UKIP, the brexit party will suck up about 1/3 of the disaffected Labs and 2/3 the pissed off tories.

• But as said in other threads, Farage is only concentrating on the European elections at the moment. If he manages to get funding and can field candidates for UK elections, then there is a chance of a lot of disaffecting voters going for him.

I agree that with May as head of the conservative party, they have little chance of electoral success whether at the local or national level. And if May does stand down or is pushed and they appoint another remainer, the party is finished.

• But as said in other threads, Farage is only concentrating on the European elections at the moment. If he manages to get funding and can field candidates for UK elections, then there is a chance of a lot of disaffecting voters going for him.

I agree that with May as head of the conservative party, they have little chance of electoral success whether at the local or national level. And if May does stand down or is pushed and they appoint another remainer, the party is finished.

Theres no shortage of people willing to throw money at him, Tice, the founder of Leave.Eu for a start. They know hes a winner. UKIP doesnt stand a chance with Farage atacking them., The point of any Leader is to say the things the majority are saying and want to hear, and thats exactly what he does.

I also suspect some big Tory donors to switch alliegance.

• Love him or hate him Boris is really their only chance of chiming with the electorate. The rest are too contaminated with Brexit betrayal.

Well theres several brexiteers might do for the job, but yes, another remainer saboteur as PM and the tories become history.

• Love him or hate him Boris is really their only chance of chiming with the electorate. The rest are too contaminated with Brexit betrayal.

I think you're probably right, but don't forget he's now going along with May's deal too. He wouldn't be my choice.

Well theres several brexiteers might do for the job, but yes, another remainer saboteur as PM and the tories become history.

That only leaves someone like Andrew Bridgen or one of the other members of the ERG who didn't capitulate to May, which is what, about a dozen possible candidates?

• boris, david davies, michael gove....a lot of people would vote for Rees Mogg, but he isnt stupid, he doesnt wat it, being PM is a career killer these days.

• I wouldn't vote for Rees-Mogg now. He's caved in to May and shown how utterly weak he is.

The name has just escaped me, but I really like the Northern Irish Labour MP who is staunchly a leaver.

Rees Mogg and the ERG are having to play a finely balanced game. If they push too hard eg for no deal brexit, they could accidentally trigger a GE and let Corbyn in.

Personally i dont understand what the problem is. A treaty is only worth the paper its printed on as long as both sides keep to it. And no government can irrevocably restrict or commit a future government. So sign the deal, have a general election, then tell the EU we are withdrawing from the treaty, and are witholding all payments until its renegotiated. They will stamp and scream and probably try to drag us into the European Court, but so what, even if we lost we can pay them off. In the end they cant force us to stick to a treaty we dont want to stick to.

• Rees Mogg and the ERG are having to play a finely balanced game. If they push too hard eg for no deal brexit, they could accidentally trigger a GE and let Corbyn in.

A GE could only happen if May couldn't get her primary legislation through parliament, especially the Budget, but she is still the one that dictates all that.

I just think they're all too feeble.

Personally i dont understand what the problem is. A treaty is only worth the paper its printed on as long as both sides keep to it. And no government can irrevocably restrict or commit a future government. So sign the deal, have a general election, then tell the EU we are withdrawing from the treaty, and are witholding all payments until its renegotiated. They will stamp and scream and probably try to drag us into the European Court, but so what, even if we lost we can pay them off. In the end they cant force us to stick to a treaty we dont want to stick to.

Then international treaties would be get scrapped, as they wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on.

This is why no one trusts Putin's due to his treatment of the treaties that Russia has signed with other countries, ie signing a treaty guaranteeing Crimea's sovereignty in exchange for Soviet nukes, then decades later, invading he country.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!