Local Elections Thursday 2nd of May 2019.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Yes, at least you arent letting in the corrupt lying sexually perverted two faced Libdems or the Marxist Labour . You have to vote for somone, or you risk letting in the worst one by default.

But a vote for any of the undemocratic parties will be taken as a vote in support of them and what they are doing.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• But a vote for any of the undemocratic parties will be taken as a vote in support of them and what they are doing.

true. But you have to assess the consequences of not voting. In my view id rather hold my nose and vote for a tory (and then email him telling him what i think oif his government) then not vote and watch a Marxist Government take control. The consequences of that would be far far worse.

In British Politics it isnt Oppositions that win elections but governments that lose them. IE (in this case) tory voters will stay away but Labour voters will still vote. in hope of winning So the government loses by apathy, rather than the Opposition winning by popularity.

• I disagree. Your email won't make a blind bit of difference. Your vote will still be seen as a vote of support!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I disagree. Your email won't make a blind bit of difference. Your vote will still be seen as a vote of support!

Well i dont see how, especially if you write "Dear sir I only voted for you because it wasnt as vile as voting labour. Now pull your socks up and get on with it",

Lik I said, Oppostion voters always vote, in hope of winning, they have nothing to lose, Government voters must vote in order not to lose. If you analyse every election thats caused a change of government you'l lsee it the loss of popularity of the government, not the popularity of the opposition, that swings it. Ergo not voting for the government lets the opposition in. If you dont want a Marxist Labour Government, then you have to vote for somone else. Not voting is tantamout to voting for Labour, since you fail to cancel one Labour vote.

• I still disagree. It's that type of tactical voting that keeps one of the two main parties in power at all times, regardless of how bad they are, because people will keep voting for them to 'keep the others out'. The two main parties rely upon this happening and the Conservatives are already taking advantage of this with their message that you MUST vote for them else Labour will win. Sod the fact that they are total rubbish, just not as rubbish as the opposition. These voters are heaven sent for the Labour and Conservative parties.

May, and the Conservative party will willingly take your vote as a sign of agreement with their undemocratic policies. I have no doubts about that at all. Likewise, every vote for Labour will be taken as a sign that the voter agrees with their policies. I can see the headlines now!

• I still disagree. It's that type of tactical voting that keeps one of the two main parties in power at all times, regardless of how bad they are, because people will keep voting for them to 'keep the others out'. The two main parties rely upon this happening and the Conservatives are already taking advantage of this with their message that you MUST vote for them else Labour will win. Sod the fact that they are total rubbish, just not as rubbish as the opposition. These voters are heaven sent for the Labour and Conservative parties.

May, and the Conservative party will willingly take your vote as a sign of agreement with their undemocratic policies. I have no doubts about that at all. Likewise, every vote for Labour will be taken as a sign that the voter agrees with their policies. I can see the headlines now!

Until you get everyone to vote UKIp or Brexit, then not voting means you dont stop anyone fro winning. Its pretty logical. If you cant vote for who you want, then vote against who you dont want. But not voting disqualifies you from complaining whover does win. Not voting is just a vote for the party who wins, its just that you dont get to choose. So if the Marxist Lab win, then you voted for them, effectively....and on to of that, you lost the right to complain about it.

• Until you get everyone to vote UKIp or Brexit, then not voting means you dont stop anyone fro winning. Its pretty logical.

No, it isn't logical. How do new parties get started if everyone votes Tory, just to keep out Labour?

Parties don't care why you vote for them. They just want your vote, and the more they get the more convinced they are, that they are going in the right direction. They couldn't care a toss why you voted for them, as Parliamentary behaviour has displayed only too well recently. Vote for undemocratic liars, and they will be encouraged to continue being undemocratic liars. What will they have lost by being undemocratic liars? Nothing .... if people continue to vote for them.

As people move over to one of the several Brexit parties, it will encourage 'the followers' to join them and the parties will grow stronger, but someone has to provide that initial support and NOT vote for any of the undemocratic parties. If everyone keeps on voting Conservative or Labour just 'to keep the other out' then change will NEVER happen. Not ever, because your vote is keeping the undemocratic tossers in power and indirectly, by voting for them you are actually agreeing with their undemocratic behaviour and fictional manifestos.

• Well no, your wilfully over simplifying what i said.

As long as you vote for somone, fine. Not voting is just letting the rest of us down. But then theres also tactical voting.

• Well no, your wilfully over simplifying what i said.

As long as you vote for somone, fine. Not voting is just letting the rest of us down. But then theres also tactical voting.

If the only choices I get are two undemocratic parties, then I cannot vote for either party. A vote indicates support and I cannot support either party. The end.

• As long as you vote for somone, fine. Not voting is just letting the rest of us down.

If the only choices I get are two undemocratic parties, then I cannot vote for either party. A vote indicates support and I cannot support either party. The end.

so you will effectively vote for corbyn, with all the other labour voters.

• Repeating something over and over does not make it true, but I'll join the game ... voting for a party means you give it your support! I will never support any undemocratic party because that implies I accept their undemocratic behaviour.

• Election results in this country are living proof that most people would vote for a baboon as long as it was wearing the right colour rosette.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Election results in this country are living proof that most people would vote for a baboon as long as it was wearing the right colour rosette.

Labour voters are the worst : "I vote Labour 'cos mi' da' voted Labour, 'as did 'is da' before 'im, so thats good enough fo' mi' bae 'eck"

its almost as bad as the Irish "Im going to kill you because you're protetestant and im catholic and your great great grandfather fought my great great grandfather in 1897"

And the dimwits continued to vote Labour all through 1997-2010, as Blair gave thier jobs away to 3 million immigrants, pushed them to the botom of the council house list, packed out their schools with kids that didnt speak english, jammed up the roads with foriegn death trap cars and brought the NHS to its knees with millions of new patients.

• I honestly think its not just confined to Labour voters, they are certainly no worse from what I have seen throughout the years all diehard party supporters of any colour who vote the same way just because they have always done and their parents did etc, are equally as bad.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• 40% of Tory councillors back Nigel Farage's new party

The exclusive Mail on Sunday survey shows that an astonishing 40 per cent of Conservative councillors are planning to vote for Nigel Farage’s new Brexit Party in May’s European elections, in protest at the Prime Minister’s failure to conclude the UK’s exit from the EU.

Three-quarters of her own councillors want Mrs May to resign – and an overwhelming 96 per cent believe that the Tory Party has been damaged by the impasse.

All very well these councillors saying they are going to back Farage in the European elections, but what they're not saying is whether they would join his party or not. It seems to me they want they're cake and eat it.

They clearly still want the electorate to vote for them in the local elections, so why don't stand as independent candidates but tell the electorate they will join Farage's party when he has things properly set up?

If they're so against the Conservative party over Brexit, they should not be standing as conservative candidates in the local elections. Talk about wanting the cake and eating it...:rolleyes::thumbdown:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• All very well these councillors saying they are going to back Farage in the European elections, but what they're not saying is whether they would join his party or not. It seems to me they want they're cake and eat it.

They clearly still want the electorate to vote for them in the local elections, so why don't stand as independent candidates but tell the electorate they will join Farage's party when he has things properly set up?

If they're so against the Conservative party over Brexit, they should not be standing as conservative candidates in the local elections. Talk about wanting the cake and eating it...:rolleyes::thumbdown:

I dont think they had time to orgabnise for the local elections, since they only formed the party a few weeks ago.

• If they're so against the Conservative party over Brexit, they should not be standing as conservative candidates in the local elections. Talk about wanting the cake and eating it... :rolleyes::thumbdown:

I'm not sure they could, even if they wanted to. Nominations for the local elections had to be in by the 2nd April, or thereabouts.

• I'm not sure they could, even if they wanted to. Nominations for the local elections had to be in by the 2nd April, or thereabouts.

well no, you woudl have had to organise and create an entire political prty machine first.

• Local elections: Tories and Labour hit by Brexit backlash in polls

The Conservatives and Labour have faced a backlash at the ballot box over the Brexit deadlock, with smaller parties and independents winning seats.

In England so far, the Tories have lost more than 850 seats and 28 councils overall, while the Liberal Democrats have gained nearly 500 seats.

Labour has lost more than 80 seats.

The BBC projects that, if results it analysed were replicated across Britain, both the Conservatives and Labour would get 28% of the total vote.

The grass roots conservative party chairmen are meeting next week and after last night's results, they will be out for blood.

A lot of good councillors lost their jobs through no fault of their own due to the Brexit mess, so either they try and oust May or the party will disintegrate.

• It won't make a blind bit of difference if they replace her with another Remainer, and as the Remainers seem to be in charge of the party I can't see things getting any better. We need a complete clear out with another GE.

• It won't make a blind bit of difference if they replace her with another Remainer, and as the Remainers seem to be in charge of the party I can't see things getting any better. We need a complete clear out with another GE.

a) its perfectly possible she will be outed and replaced by a brexiteer. If the tories thought last night was bad wait till they see the wrath of the electorate on May22nd. The questio nis can she be outed in time to save brexit.

b) She was very cunning in calling an election when she did, it gave her 5 years to stich it up if needed rather than 3 , even though she threw away a majority. The woman may be an Eu stooge but shes is tricky and cunning.

• I think the EU are very cunning. Their tactics of stealth and deceit, and getting countries to pay for the privilege of losing their own sovereignty is very crafty indeed. They 'buy' loyalty for themselves with our taxpayers money and then use it against us. It's the biggest ponzi scheme in existence.

Without the internet, we would be totally reliant upon whatever propaganda our politicians told us, and they omitted quite a lot regarding the EU.

Monnet's quote always comes to mind.

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation.”

• The two independents in my ward got elected , the two Tories were outside the polling station most of the day , the look of condemned prisoners on their faces , but it had to be done , I just hope we get no stitch up next week in the wake of this to prevent our EU vote taking place.

Only May can call that though, can't she?

I don't see her voluntarily relinquishing the reigns of power anytime soon.

a) its perfectly possible she will be outed and replaced by a brexiteer. If the tories thought last night was bad wait till they see the wrath of the electorate on May22nd. The questio nis can she be outed in time to save brexit.

Does anyone know whether the local conservative party chairmen, who are all meeting next month, have the power to get rid of her?

She's the head of the party, so I don't know if there exists within the conservative party a mechanism, something similar to Labour's NEC, that can get rid of her if need be.

The two independents in my ward got elected , the two Tories were outside the polling station most of the day , the look of condemned prisoners on their faces , but it had to be done , I just hope we get no stitch up next week in the wake of this to prevent our EU vote taking place.

My local conservative councillors are pretty good, but as London never had any elections, we never got the chance to send May a message, but the big one will come on the 22nd May. And just on queue, Farage's Brexit Party leaflet popped through my door this morning.:)

• Something has to be done, party loyalty or not, before our country is totally ruined. She's done plenty of damage that needs reversing. It's quite revealing (and frightening) to see just how much power our PM has, as she can force her will on everyone.

• Perhaps we should just go the whole hog and get a president and change our whole system, but anyway we can discuss such stuff elsewhere.

In this specific case though, it's not just May, but the fact that our elected representatives are doing the opposite of what a majority of this country wants. So, it's not just one person that needs to be changed, but hundreds. Clearly, May is very powerful, as she has demonstrated, even Thatcher would've given up by now.

• Well thisnt just May. we have an entire wodge of MP's who are sticking their fingers up at the electorate and doing the opposite of what they were told to do ina fair democratic referendum.

Brexit is no longer about ridding ourselves of the authoritarianism and antidemocracy of the EU, its now become about the authoritarianism and disdain for demcracy our our own elected representatives. These people, the servants of the people, have decided they are the Masters now, and that we should be ignored. Its completely unacceptable, and whats worse, it threatens to completely demolish the entire basis of the democratic governance of the country.

This people need riegning in, especially the traitorous scum of change.uk, people like Anna Soubry and Chukka Umunna, people actively trying to thwart democracy and undermine a democratic decision, and not to mention slimy toads like Tony Blair, who is actively advising the EU on how to thwart brexit.

• Well thisnt just May. we have an entire wodge of MP's who are sticking their fingers up at the electorate and doing the opposite of what they were told to do ina fair democratic referendum.

Exactly what I said. It's not just one person, May, but loads of MPs who are ignoring the wishes and vote of the majority.

• Well the message the voters sent to them was somthing like "You fucked with democracy by not carrying out Brexit so we are going to fuck with you", which the various parties chose to interpret in different ways the Lib/Dems for instance saw it as people supporting them because they were against Brexit and wanted to remain in the EU. :rolleyes:

• Well the message the voters sent to them was somthing like "You fucked with democracy by not carrying out Brexit so we are going to fuck with you", which the various parties chose to interpret in different ways the Lib/Dems for instance saw it as people supporting them because they were against Brexit and wanted to remain in the EU. :rolleyes:

hehe they certainly would see it like that, no one does self delusion like the loser LimpDumbs, but having watched english politics for 50 years, it was almost certainly a case that the Libdems were the first option protest vote, because no one cares about local elections, but people were pisse doff enough to protest vote. And the protest was against Tories and Lab, so the LibDems mopped it up.

In a GE it wouldnt have happened because Brexit party would have run, and like UKIP in 2015, , people would have vote Brexit party or not voted at all. No one would want a Lib Dems govt in charge of Brexet, because they are all rabid Remainer EU stooges .

The Libdems are doing a fine job of splitting the Remain vote at the moment with the Labour splitters and Lab. Whereas Farage will mop up the Brexit vote. like he did in 2015.