North Korea's nukes

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • North Korea has fired its highest-ever intercontinental ballistic missile and poses a worldwide threat, US Secretary of Defence James Mattis has said.

Earlier the Pentagon said the missile had flown for about 1,000km (620 miles) before falling into the Sea of Japan.

Well, it's been quiet for a few months, but clearly Kim has not been imitated by the three American carrier strike groups off his coastline and fired another ICBM.

He's not going to stop until he has reached his goal and the estimates differ depending on who it is. The South Koreans say NK will be able to put nukes on ICBMs within a year, the American's think it will two to three years.

I am surprised the Americans have not taken military action against NK yet, as I've said several times in this thread already.

Time is running out. Do we wait until Kim has achieved his goal or not?

• Looks like Kim is after sending his first mass murdering bomb to Japan. If I were Trump (which, thank the gods I am not) I would take the latest effort from Rocket man as a hint as to who he will target when he wants to wave a red flag in America's face. He will simply kill someone else and wait for a response. He probably intends invading South Korea during the confusion. He must go. It's time. NK needs to do a Zimbabwe on him before he starts WWIII.

I'm sure Japan has no interest in being his guinea pig no matter what his final intentions are. He is a potential mass murderer and must be stopped.

• Yes, all Koreans have no love affair with the Japanese due to their disgusting actions in WW2 and unlike the Germans, the Japanese have shown no remorse for their past actions or even bothered to teach their younger generations about it.

The Koreans, all of them, have a genuine hatred of Japan and no Korean on that peninsula would care less if Japan was blown to smithereens.

I agree LW. He'll attack Japan with missiles and use that cover to invade South Korea.

He is getting close. That ICBM was a "proper" one and probably could reach America, hence Trump's muted tone this time. He has to make the decision, attack NK which could result in the deaths of millions of people in that region, or don't attack them and risk a future attack from Kim, killing millions of Americans instead.

NK needs to do a Zimbabwe on him before he starts WWIII.

As I said before, I doubt that will happen, but if America builds up its forces in the region, the final sign of a attack is when the stealth bombers are sent, perhaps some of Kim's people might put a bullet in him. If they know they're going to die anyway (and their families) perhaps they "end it" before "it" starts.

• North Korea says it has successfully tested a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that can reach the whole of continental United States.

State television said Pyongyang had achieved its mission of becoming a nuclear state.

The Hwasong-15 missile, described as its "most powerful", was launched in darkness early on Wednesday.

If they are nuclear capable now, they have just slit their own throats.

I know I've been saying this all year here, but I do think the Americans will attack now.

• Kim has to be stopped. There is no possible reason for any limp wristed liberal nay saying on this matter or any ducking and diving by China. Kim is a potential, and soon to be literal, mass murderer and he has absolutely no reason for this behaviour. It is not only insane, it is illegal by international decree.

(A number of Japanese are sorry about the WWII events, but the Japanese cannot be held responsible today for what happened then, just as no German today can be held responsible ad infinitum for what the nazis did. Also, this constant forcing of these nations to humiliate themselves and apologise for things the present generations are not responsible for, is an abuse of their rights to be innocent of it.)

• North Korea and South Korea have agreed to march together under a single unified Korea flag at the Winter Olympics, according to South Korean officials.

I thought Kim was just the standard nutty tinpot dictator, but I'm starting to revise my opinion of him.

He can do nuclear, he's already proved that and he can do ballistic missiles, and he has proved that too, at least short range ones. Up to now he has not been able to combine the two and place nuclear bombs on ballistic missiles.

He's playing for time.

Perhaps Trump's threatening tweets unnerved him too with the, "my nuclear button is bigger than yours" but the real story here is that he is giving himself breathing space from a potential American attack to finish his weapons programme off.

Playing happy families at the Olympics shows the world that he's not such a mad, butcherer after all, all the while his weapons programme continues unhindered.

• Is a war pitting the U.S. and its allies against nuclear-armed North Korea on the horizon?

As Seoul and Pyongyang continue to lay the groundwork for rare intra-Korean cooperation in next month’s Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the U.S. has quietly been deploying an assortment of powerful weapons — what it calls “strategic assets” — to the region. The military has sent nuclear-capable bombers, including three stealth B-2s and six of its workhorse B-52s, to the U.S. territory of Guam, a key logistics hub and outpost some 3,400 km from North Korea. Those planes join six B-1B bombers, which like the others would likely play a critical role in any strikes originating from Guam on nuclear, missile and leadership sites in the North.

Interesting article from Japan that says that America is quietly building up its forces as a possible prelude to an attack on North Korea, including sending their stealth bombers to Guam.

• North Korea's leader has called for a "further livening up" of the "warm climate of reconciliation" with the South created by the Winter Olympics.

Kim Jong-un, whose nuclear bomb and missile tests have stoked international tension, praised the South for hosting his state at the games in Pyeongchang.

Kim's apparent Games charm offensive was led by his sister Kim Yo-jong.

What a load of guff this is.

Can't anyone see NK is stalling for time, so that they can complete their weapons programme? The Kim's (it seems the sister is increasingly calling the shots) are not interested in peace, they're interested in power.

As soon as the Olympics is finished, NK will be back to its usual threats.

• North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has hosted a dinner for senior South Korean delegates - the first time officials from Seoul have met the young leader since he took office in 2011.

The South Korean president's office confirmed the meeting shortly after the delegates' arrival on Monday.

The 10-member team is in Pyongyang for talks partly aimed at restarting dialogue between the North and the US.

Relations between the Koreas have warmed following last month's Olympics.

Is anyone actually buying any of this rubbish?

Kim Jong-Un will not be happy until he gets his fat paws on a nuclear button. What is hard to understand about this?

• US President Donald Trump has agreed to hold talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, officials say.

South Korean national security adviser Chung Eui-yong, speaking at the White House, said Mr Trump would meet Mr Kim by May.

Mr Chung said Mr Kim had offered to refrain from any further nuclear and missile tests.

The announcement came after a South Korean delegation held unprecedented talks with Mr Kim earlier this week.

"I told President Trump that at our meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said he's committed to denuclearisation," Mr Chung told a news conference.

Bullshit.

Kim is playing for time and the Americans recognise that by announcing at the same time that sanctions will remain in place against NK.

• I agree. The idea that Trump and Kim are going to have a cosy little tête-à-tête by the fireside discussing hairstyles, or indeed, nuclear disarmament is risible.

History shows that every time the NK's "give" they continue to beaver away in the background.

The best way of dealing with a trap is knowing of its existance.

• What did encourage me last night was that as soon as the announcement was made about the meeting between Kim and Trump, the Americans put out a separate statement saying that sanctions would remain.

Kim has nuclear weapons. Kim has ballistic missile technology. He just needs to put the two together and it can only be a matter of time and not much time at that, before he succeeds.

As China is till supporting him in the background too, it's clear that despite their public statements, they seem content to keep "their" man, as they seem to see it, going.

By all means the Americans should talk to Kim, but they should also set a deadline (which the North Korean's won't abide by) that if the nuclear weapons programme doesn't stop and does start to be dismantled, then even more sanctions or worse, will follow.

• Just thought I'd stick my head into this thread to say "I told you so" but then I felt I was above all that and decided not to...

So Kim has secured his survival and is now ready to start rebuilding his wealth, China secured its border & its regional ally and somehow Trump has convinced his followers the US has won a great victory!

Everyone is happy. Oh...apart from N Korean citizens but unfortunately no one cares about them.

• What Trump is doing with NK is a whole lot better than nothing. None of the usual red line crap.

Lots of countries have nuclear weapons. It's a matter of agreeing to restrain and contain. Both the US and NK will claim victory. That's part of the game of saving face.

Is there anybody on in this forum or in the West who might grudgingly concede that Trump has addressed the NK threat effectively? The last thing the world needs is yet another leader who acts "presidentially" and "diplomatically", where the verbal content is unfathomable or meaningless.

• Trump didn't do anything wrong but it seems weird the credit people are giving him. What's he actually achieved? Kim is secure in power with nukes that can hit the US mainland (maybe). Kim has not been restrained or contained - he never had any intention to do anything except guarantee himself long term security. He's done that. No one could have stopped him so I'm not criticising Trump for failing to do that, but I'm struggling to find a Trump victory here. The N Koreans blow hot and cold all the time, just having talks is hardly anything new. They will probably result in a return to a better relationship with NK and the rest of the world, but again this is nothing new. It is a sign that Kim no longer feels under threat, nothing to do with anyone else. In fact the N Koreans predicted years ago in one of their propaganda films that their nuclear programme would draw a US president to the negotiating table.

I think the similarity between the two blokes might bode well in the future though, they may well get on. I doubt Kim and Clinton would ever have got on... Even so I can't imagine Kim ever giving up his nukes or treating his people like human beings. If someone achieves that then it's time to crack open the champagne. At the moment all I'm seeing is the inevitable (and just as I predicted) - Kim proves his nuke/missile capability, feels secure, starts to re-engage again. Admittedly Trump didn't fuck anything up but I didn't think he would, and surely he has to do more than that to be praised??

• Admittedly Trump didn't fuck anything up but I didn't think he would, and surely he has to do more than that to be praised??

Can't we temporarily suspend our doubts and prejudices until we learn the outcome of the meeting? Otherwise we are no better than the rabble-rousing media. None of us know what makes Kim tick I agree, it's difficult to trust someone with that kind of haircut!

• Can't we temporarily suspend our doubts and prejudices until we learn the outcome of the meeting? Otherwise we are no better than the rabble-rousing media. None of us know what makes Kim tick I agree, it's difficult to trust someone with that kind of haircut!

I'm the neutral one, what I'm on about is my puzzlement over the Trump worship. Anyway it's no big deal, I keep forgetting most people don't think rationally.

• I'm the neutral one, what I'm on about is my puzzlement over the Trump worship. Anyway it's no big deal, I keep forgetting most people don't think rationally.

Trump worship? You surely mean Trump sneering (apart from American rednecks plus those running on dry in the rust belt plus those rational enough to put substance before image).

• Just thought I'd stick my head into this thread to say "I told you so" but then I felt I was above all that and decided not to...

Told you so, what??:/

Kim still has his nuclear bombs and ballistic missiles, he just hasn't put the two together yet.

So Kim has secured his survival

He's done nothing of the sort, I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion.

Crippling sanctions are still in effect and at least one carrier strike group is off his coast. Hardly secure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!