Will North Korea's nuclear expansion be stopped?

• I think he already played for time and won. I think Trump knows Kim will keep his weapons but also knows he'll never be the first to use them. Of course he has no qualms killing anyone to stay in power but he's not suicidal, unless forced into it.

Theres a nuclear threat from other parts of the world but as long as Kim stays firmly in charge there's none from NK. If the nation falls apart, then we should worry.

• North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has agreed to shut one of the country's main missile testing and launch sites, says the South's President Moon Jae-in.

After meeting in Pyongyang, the two leaders "agreed on a way to achieve denuclearisation," said Mr Moon.

The agreement was described by Mr Kim as a "leap forward" towards military peace on the peninsula.

Mr Kim also said he hoped to "visit Seoul in the near future" - he would be the first North Korean leader to do so.

I genuinely hope the NK nuke problem will be resolved peacefully and welcome this move today, but as I've said from the start of this thread, I do not trust a murderous dictator and the proof will be in the pudding. If NK denuclearises, then I'll believe it.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• He's got several.

He only closed his main site inside the mountain a few months ago, because the whole place collapsed. When the factories that make the missiles and the nuclear plants which process the nuclear material are destroyed, not shut down, then I'll believe him.

As George Bush used to say, "trust, but verify."

• I imagine the lefties are cursing this news enmasse , what! , a good news story involving Mr Trump!

What does this have to do with Trump??(

It's the South Korean leader who's doing all the work here.

I think saint Obama once drove a Hyundai , so he will get the credit , if not another nobel peace prize.

Don't be so cruel to the blessed one. May he walk on water forever.:P

• Yes. The South Korean leader was talking to Kim long before Trump got involved.

I'm not saying that Trump's moves haven't done anything, clearly they've added stimulus to things, but today's story is about the South Korean leader meeting Kim. That is nothing to do with Trump.

I don't understand why people in this country are such a cheerleader for the narcissist baby man. I suppose the same thing will happen if "King" Boris gets in. They'll all the same ilk to me and I certainly won't be a cheerleader for these prats.

• Yes. The South Korean leader was talking to Kim long before Trump got involved.

I'm not saying that Trump's moves haven't done anything, clearly they've added stimulus to things, but today's story is about the South Korean leader meeting Kim. That is nothing to do with Trump.

I don't understand why people in this country are such a cheerleader for the narcissist baby man. I suppose the same thing will happen if "King" Boris gets in. They'll all the same ilk to me and I certainly won't be a cheerleader for these prats.

He was talking , BUT HE WAS DOING NOTHING.

• I think Hoxton Hocker's reasoning is spot on. Why shouldn't NK have nuclear weapon capability just so long as it demonstrates a circumspect attitude in international relations.

• Might have something to do with the country having a despot dictator as its leader, but apart from that, perfectly fine for the country to have nukes. Doesn't matter that the country starves, so as long as they can blow up the world if they so choose.:rolleyes:

• Might have something to do with the country having a despot dictator as its leader, but apart from that, perfectly fine for the country to have nukes. Doesn't matter that the country starves, so as long as they can blow up the world if they so choose.:rolleyes:

America, Iran, Israel, China, Russia, France, Britain ...... they too can blow up the world if they choose.

Trump has given Kim a taste of what it's like to bask in global approval and begin trading in things other than weapons - it's re-directing Kim's egotism in a more positive direction.

Besides, what's the alternative? You can't stop Kim having nukes. Kim knows that. Trump knows that. I know that. Surely you know that.

• Should it be? Is the question I would ask. After the first Korean war American planes had to be sent back with tonnes of bombs because they had flattened every multi story building in the country. The Americans are the only people to have used nuclear weapons in war time. North Korea are well aware of americas might and perhaps are using these weapons to even the playing field.. the fear of America is what is pushing this development. So American pressure to stop this is the very thing that is fuleing it. Perhaps a country needs to connect with North Korea in a non confrontational manner to enact a better human rights situation, instead of America pressuring them to remove what they see as the only thing that can level the overwhelming gap in power between the nations

• RM reinforces my argument and reminds us of NK's bad memories when engaged in war with America a few decades ago. Why wouldn't NK wan't to be better prepared against any future American aggression? It knows that in the end it can't win but a M.A.D. defence strategy does have considerable deterrent value

• ... true. Except, look at the way NK treats its own people, do we really want that country to have nuclear weapons?

North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un has vowed to "frequently" meet South Korea's President Moon Jae-in next year to discuss denuclearisation.

In a rare letter to Seoul, Mr Kim said he wished to pursue peace between the countries and "solve the issue of denuclearising the peninsula together", a spokesman for Mr Moon said.

Mr Kim also expressed "much regret" that he could not visit Seoul in 2018

But I still think, as I've been saying all along, that Kim is playing for time here while he builds his doomsday weapons, despite Trumps "efforts."

• North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has said he is committed to denuclearisation, but warned he will change course if the US continues its sanctions.

He made the remarks during his closely-watched annual New Year's address.

Last year's speech set the country on an unprecedented path of international diplomacy with South Korea and the US.

Mr Kim met US President Donald Trump to discuss denuclearisation in June 2018 but with few results so far.

Lots of talk coming from the dear leader, while he continues making nuclear bombs and upgrading all his nuclear facilities.X/

• Just a update to this thread and I'll post a link if I find one, but yesterday Trump announced that he is meeting Kim again at the end of the month.

Although I think talking to this despot just gives him Breathitt space to continue with his nuclear weapons program, I guess jaw-jaw is better than war-war.

• Trump-Kim summit breaks down over sanctions

A summit between US President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ended with no agreement after the US refused North Korean demands for sanctions relief, President Trump said.

"It was all about the the sanctions," Mr Trump told reporters. "They wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety and we couldn't do that."

The pair had been expected to announce progress on denuclearisation.

Not been following this, but they've had their summit and nothing has come of it, although jaw-jaw is better than war-war.

As I've maintained from the beginning of this thread, I do not see NK giving up its nuclear weapons, but perhaps the promise of Trump condos and hotels being built all over NK, may eventually swing it, we'll see.

• North Korea 'preparing rocket launch', images suggest

Satellite images of a facility near Pyongyang suggest that North Korea may be preparing to launch a missile or a satellite.

The increase in activity is around a site known as Sanumdong, where North Korea assembled most of its ballistic missiles and rockets.

It comes after reports earlier this week that North Korea's main rocket launch site at Sohae had been rebuilt.

Back to business as usual with Kim and his weapon building, while the bulk of his people continue to starve, unlike him.

Sooner to later we'll be attacking them and I'd rather it sooner and get it out of the way with.

• I suppose at least Trump's trying to talk to them, but Kim wants his doomsday weapons to guarantee that he stays in power and short of military action against him, Kim will not give up his nukes.