When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.

• Everything coming to Disney+

Get ready to binge watch some of your favorite movies and shows on Disney+, where subscribers will find everything from "Frozen" to "The Simpsons."

Disney (DIS)'s new streaming service will launch in North America on November 12, 2019. It will cost $6.99 a month, or $69.99 a year. That's half of what Netflix charges for its standard plan.

By the end of the first year, Disney says the service will have more than 7,500 TV episodes and 500 movies.

Here's some of what will be available:

A big announcement in the media world the other day. Disney announced its launch date and price, at least for America, for its streaming service.

Having gobbled up most of Murdoch's empire, everything from The Simpsons to Snow White, Star Wars to Avengers will be available on the service, as Disney looks to take Netflix on. Will they succeed? Discuss here: Netflix is King. Will anyone catch them?.

As many of Disney's tv and film rights are held by other companies, it will take up to four years for Disney to get back all the rights to its own stuff so that they can all be made available on the streamer.

The yanks get Disney+ on the 12th November, but no date has been released for when it will be available in the UK yet, but hopefully it won't be too long.

Will you subscribe to Disney+?

• Disney's new subscription video-on-demand service will be available in the UK and Ireland from the end of March.

Disney+ will launch on the 31st March 2019, ushering in a new era for viewers wanting to access programmes and movies from Disney, Fox, National Geographic and related film studios.

So, the UK finally gets the long awaited Disney streaming service next March. Actually the current Disney Life app will gets renamed and updated to Disney+.

Anyone going to subscribe to this?

• There's nothing puritan about Disney, they're all about money, making as much of it as possible.

I thought they ruled and controlled with a rod of iron, to demonstrate the so called American perfect family where nothing immoral ever happens, sex is between a married hetersexual couple, children are perfectly well behaved and polite, Dad works and Mum is the homemaker, and so on. In other words nothing like real life

• Good news for Disney lovers - Disney+ is now set to launch in the UK on 24 March 2020.

Although this new streaming service will be available on multiple platforms, there is no news yet of whether or not the new service will appear on Sky, Virgin Media or BT.

As self-appointed super-aggregators of content, Disney+ should appear on these platforms, from launch.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020/01/21/dis…rought-forward/

• And at £5.99 it's comparable to the US price, but what will be on it? If its only kids and Star Wars stuff, I think the appeal will wear off quickly.

It's certainly not for me without Hulu, but I think this will be very popular with families. Bad news for the Sky Disney channels, though.

The long term future for Sky Cinema will be dire if all the other film studios go 'direct to consumer' in this way. I see this as part of a process.

• Well, we'll wait and see on that, that will be a conversation for "your" linear channels thread, but back to Disney specifically.

I don't think we're going to see a Hulu type service anytime soon, as there are still many rights to Disney/ABC shows held by other broadcasters. If and when Disney decided to claw those back, even then I'm not so sure. But I agree, Disney+ is it currently stands, is of no interest to me either.

Like all the old Hollywood majors, they really are going about streaming in a messy way. Having three streamers like what Disney is doing in the States is just a mess and I wonder if everything will go under one roof at some point, similar to how Comcast/NBC are approaching things with their streamer.

• Well, we'll wait and see on that, that will be a conversation for "your" linear channels thread, but back to Disney specifically.

I don't think we're going to see a Hulu type service anytime soon, as there are still many rights to Disney/ABC shows held by other broadcasters. If and when Disney decided to claw those back, even then I'm not so sure. But I agree, Disney+ is it currently stands, is of no interest to me either.

Like all the old Hollywood majors, they really are going about streaming in a messy way. Having three streamers like what Disney is doing in the States is just a mess and I wonder if everything will go under one roof at some point, similar to how Comcast/NBC are approaching things with their streamer.

I don't know, Horizon. If Hulu was added, and there was enough content on there, I might subscribe to the Hulu stream. But I would resent paying also for the Disney and ESPN content as well, as I would not watch those programmes.

I think the ideal solution from the viewer point of view is to have one charge for all the content, but with a choice of paying for selected streams separately.

Whether Disney would accommodate that, I have no idea!

• I think Disney are bundling their streamers together in the States for a single price under some circumstances, so anything is possible.

If I were them, I'd maximise the number of viewers by charging for each stream separately and for the whole of Disney +, a cheaper price than the sum of the charges for individual streams only. That should please everyone who can afford to subscribe.

The AVOD option would maximise viewership.

• Star Wars fans will be disappointed to hear that the Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off may arrive later than expected due to alleged conflicts with Disney+ hit, The Mandalorian.

According to reports, the upcoming series' scripts were a bit too similar to that of the space western show - which was created by Jon Favreau.

Display Spoiler

The Hollywood Reporter claims one source said the Obi-Wan spin-off would see the Jedi Master helping a young Luke Skywalker and possibly a young Princess Leia, which could be seen as being too similar to The Mandalorian protecting Baby Yoda.

The insider added that two scripts had already been written and actors were starting to be screen tested alongside the star of the show, Ewan McGregor.

It's also been reported that the series will be downsized from six episodes to just four.

I guess the unexpected success of the Mandalorian has caught the producers on the hop.

• Sky on the brink of sealing exclusive deal to bring Disney+ to millions of British homes

Sky is on the verge of a deal with Disney to bring the Hollywood superpower’s new streaming service to millions of British homes.

The pair were this weekend putting the final touches to an exclusive multi-year partnership that will mean rival pay-TV operators Virgin Media and BT will be unable to offer Disney+ and its as part of their monthly packages.

Great news if you're a Sky customer, but not so great if you have Virgin Media, BT or another service.

I am assuming that Disney will still offer its steaming service as a stand-alone streamer that anyone can subscribe to, so most people who will want this, will be able to access it on their smart tvs, fire tv sticks etc.

• rival pay-TV operators Virgin Media and BT will be unable to offer Disney+ and its as part of their monthly packages.

I am not sure what to make of that, Horizon. So Disney+ cannot be offered as 'part of their monthly package'. Does that mean they can't offer it separately (ie as an app to which you have to subscribe outside of the Virgin Media network, as is the case with Amazon Prime and Netflix)? Does it mean there will be no integration of Disney programming on the searches?

I sincerely hope not. However, it is typical of Sky to try to hog everything for themselves.

• We have Sky Sports via BT TV,wouldn't give tuppence for anything else Sky offers and certainly not Disney

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!