Extinction rebellion , scum of the earth.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • How Extinction Rebellion climate change zealots - including a baronet's Cambridge-educated granddaughter - are paid £400 a week to bring mayhem to our streets

Extinction Rebellion is paying activists up to £400 a week to lead the protests that have brought chaos to the streets of Britain, documents seen by The Mail on Sunday reveal.

Protesters have received payments totalling more than £70,000 in four months alone.

But the eco-protest group privately fears it could face a six-figure tax bill if the money, which is given as expenses, is deemed to be payment for work done on XR's behalf.

We've mentioned Extinction Rebellion in the climate change thread, but I just found this thread and after reading this story, I don't think this group is really interested in climate change or any other green issue.

Just to bring the thread up to date for those reading this thread in the future, this group has paralysed London's streets over the last week with their antics and they still have another week of "protests" to go. They seem to have a thing for planes, in particular. One of their people got on top of a plane this week and last month, another of their number was charged with plotting to bring Heathrow to a standstill with drones. I guess they never go on foreign holidays using planes...:rolleyes:

As I said earlier in the year on this thread about these so called protestors being the sons and daughters off the elite, I wasn't too far off the mark, but when did protesters get paid a wage?8| And as they're doing a "job" they should be taxed as the article says and be billed for all the damage done and the total waste of police time, not that the police have done much, as usual.

About time this group follows the lead of the name of their group and become extinct themselves, but as their leader was on Question Time last night, I fear they've barely started, now that they're getting serious publicity.X/

• Did you also read that the police service was run off it's feet shipping in vegan meals for htos in custody

They should set up pop up courts to process them quickly and avoid the need for custody, and hit them with heavy fines

• The idea is to save the lanet for one's children and one's children's children

If these young people from Extinction Rebellion are a fair representation of a world of people worth saving, frankly, I'd rather not bother, I don't see the point.

• I'm not sure what their aim is. How does delaying London workers save the planet?

The claim is that the fashion industry is the biggest contributor to climate change

At least Posh Spice will be able to claim that she has now actually achieved something :)

• The rebels seem to encompass all ages including some my age. They also seem to include a wide range of professions and educations

• The usual rabid ranting from the usual suspects on this site. I wonder how many are close to apoplexy and burst blood vessels as they smash away at their keyboards in their invective laden frenzy of purple faced outrage?

I wonder how many of them have the faintest clue of what ER's aims and principles are?

I suppose its up to me to bring some objectivity to the ranting and raving discussion.*

ER's website states the following aims:

1. Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.

2. Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emission to net zero by 2025.

3. Government must create and be led by the decisions of a citizens assembly on climate and ecological justice.

Their stated principles are:

1. We have a shared vision of change - creating a world that is fit for generations to come.

2. We set our mission on what is necessary, mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change by using ideas such as Momentum-Driven Organising to achieve this.

3. We need a regenerative culture - creating a culture that is healthy resilient and adaptable.

4. We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system, leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.

5. We value reflecting and learning, following a cycle of action and planning for more action, learning from other movements as well as our own experience.

6. We welcome everyone and part of everyone - working to actively create safer and more accessible spaces.

7. We actively mitigate for power - breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.

8. We avoid blaming and shaming - we lie in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.

9. We are a non-violent network using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.

10. We are based on autonomy and decentralisation - we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.

I am not a member of ER and have not participated in any of their activities, but I have no problem with those who are and do. These people feel very passionate about their cause and are committed to their aims. This is the exercise of liberty and I have no problem with that.

I'm a fully paid up, card carrying member of the Green Party and the right wing extremists on this site might be surprised to know that many Greens find the actions of ER excessive. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't do them.

I'd rather they found less disruptive ways to go about things, but would it help their cause if they did nothing more than ask politely for "something to be done" about climate change? I don't think so.

The bottom line is that with an extremist government in office, extreme measures are necessary to gain attention for their aims. If there was any shred of consensus left in British politics then less radical measures might be pursued. Fat chance of that in the current political climate though.

An extreme government - bordering on a dictatorship - provokes extreme protest. If the problem is Extinction Rebellion, the cause of their anger is Boris Johnson and his baleful government.

And incidentally, Nigel Brooks (post #1), there is nothing in any of ER's aims and principles which requires anybody to become a vegan.

*Yeah, yeah, yeah..... I know..... Liberal loonie leftie libtard, tree hugging, lentil eating lesbo PC-monger.... hanging's too good for me...... (yawns). Heard 'em all a million times. I eagerly await some new invective, even if it means the same as the usual shite, it would have a certain novelty value if only because it would show that somebody put some thought into their hate-spew.

• When protesters start interfering with your travel/work/daily life you can understand why people kick back

In any case, Brits being stopped from having a free plastic carrier bag in the supermarket are not gong to save the planet .Countries like India and China will continue to pollute the environment regardless

• The claim is that the fashion industry is the biggest contributor to climate change

The Chinese factories spewing millions of tonnes of crap into the atmosphere is the largest cause, but of course they won't target China and go for the soft option.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Have you seen how much water gets used to make a pair of jeans. Cotton is the killer, water used from the Aral Sea (yes you heard that right, Sea) in Central Asia had turned to dust and then the raw cotton is shipped abroad where the chemical processes that goes into making the material and dyes. The chemicals and other rubbish in places like Indonesia (Citarum River) runs off into streams where it even kills the rats in the river and then eventually makes it's way into the Sea. Then the material goes to sweat shops in places like India or factories in China.

The fashion industry is number two on the list after greenhouse gases. If we keep going the way we are going we will run out of water believe or or not, or at least it will be so polluted that we can't drink it. Sea life is getting killed and going extinct too. The chemical run-offs from agriculture is nothing compared to this.

https://www.carmenbusquets.com/journal/post/fashion-waste-water

https://www.worldwildlife.org/industries/cotton

So Extinction Rebellion might not be taking the right approach and it may even seem like a worthless effort but at least they are trying something. If nothing else they may help draw awareness to some of the stuff going on. It seems like you guys are not even aware to the extent of the fashion industry. People late for work or not being able to make it in is nothing, who cares about some stupid job when there are bigger issues in the world to deal with. So at least have a bit of respect for what they are trying to do. The poor f****rs are all marked as terrorists now for applying their right to protest.

Maybe this is where we should be sending our prisoners. Get them cleaning up places like this as community service.<X Quite frankly we are all selfish scum in the West for allowing all this to go on for our own selfish means and I haven't even mentioned the damage the plastic is doing to the environment and our bodies. Living breathing plastic we are literally.

serveimage.jpg

serveimagef.jpg

serveimagej.jpg

serveimage.jpg

serveimageg.jpg

serveimagehn.jpg

• I have no opinion about climate change other than these protesters who delight in interfering in everybody's life should be banned

With regard to the plastic waste shown in Nora's post, I have mentioned before about a small unit near here that turns all this stuff into building blocks that are then used to build houses. They are working flat out to cope with the demand

So f they can do it small time why doesn't somebody take it on big time

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!