Donald Trump 'set for June state visit to UK'

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• I know this news item is a few days old, but couldn't resist.

The Donald is coming back, but this time for an official state visit. I wonder if that Trump baby balloon will be up in the skies again?^^

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Are you glad Trump is coming back to the UK? 6

1. cheer (3) 50%
    2. sneer (1) 17%
    3. indifferent (2) 33%

Your wish is my command.:P

• Whatever you personally think of Trump he is the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. Given we've had state visits from the likes of Mugabe is it really that controversial?

Snowflakes in meltdown.^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Melting now...^^

I just can't stand the narcissist prat., but yes we've had far worse.

• Just as long as I know where he is going to be so I can avoid those areas, I have got avoiding watching the news to a fine art so don't get to hear or see anything a bout the moronic lump of detritus.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I don't like Trump as a person. But you have to give him his due. He won the presidency by voicing his opinions across a key number of important social and economic issues, making specific promises, with reasons why and, most importantly, communicating these directly to the electorate, online and at live rallies, thereby sidestepping left vs right pigeon-holing that deliberately misrepresented his position because of biased partisanship by the media and political commentators.

I think Trump will win or lose the next election mainly by how many of those promises he has kept, or tried his best to keep but was thwarted by the bias or dishonesty of Democrats who put partisanship before country.

I would bet on him increasing his majority.

We in Britain face that same garbage masquerading as or perverting the meaning of democracy, perpetuated by elected representatives who rank in order of importance themselves, their party and their country. Consequently, the next UK election will be a choice of the lesser of two evils.

• I like Trump. He's been a darn site more honest than any of our politicians, and he isn't afraid to tackle anything. Agreed he uses a hobnail boot, rather than diplomacy, but I much prefer that to spineless appeasement.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• But he hasn't stood up to Putin, so not sure I agree with you there, Fidget. But at least he does say (or tweet) what's on his mind, but personally I would prefer at least if he employed some kind of filter.

If he can sort out the North Korea issue, I'll change my mind on him.

• I like Trump. He's been a darn site more honest than any of our politicians, and he isn't afraid to tackle anything. Agreed he uses a hobnail boot, rather than diplomacy, but I much prefer that to spineless appeasement.

It is said he cheats at golf. But he does so in such an obvious way you can't actually call it cheating. He makes it clear he's twisting the rules amd/or misreporting his score - it's so upfront as to be preposterous and laughable. Here's the thing though: those who accuse him of cheating never say that to his face and no one has ever walked away from playing with him or offering to be caddy. The accusation of cheating is made behind his back to gain publicity and denigrate him .... but only after they have gained the kudos of playing with him. Conclusion: there are plenty of ways to be a cowardly rat and a hypocrite - and that's far worse than the kind of childish, almost innocent cheating in which Trump indulges.

What a refreshing relief from the perfidious and obfuscating diplomacy churned out by most politicians

• The special relationship between UK ans USA is extremely important. Whats more, if yo uinsult or snub Trump, you are insulting the Office of the President and the Nation of the USA. Why on earth woudl we want to do that.

The arrogant pompus prick Bercow has abused his power to stop trump speaking in Parliament, and hes insulted the Queen by refusing to come to a State Banquet in his honor. Trump and the Office of the President are one and the same thing.

We need rid of this arrogant slimy self important little wanker Bercow.

• Maybe we need to take a leaf out of US book and allow Alan Sugar or Richard Branson to become PM. :D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Cable and Corbyn have once again shown their view of the world is through the window of the student union rest room with their boycotting of the Trump state dinner, what does it say about our once great nation that these dicks are party leaders , one god forbid ,a potential prime minister.

PS , Caroline Lucas MP , the green party loon is also boycotting the dinner , if actually asked of course , MR Trump must be in tears .

• I think it is probably a blessing that they are making themselves scarce. It saves Trump the indignity of having to be polite to people who constantly insult him. Although, maybe he wouldn't be polite and that what scares them off. :)

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Strangly enough I haven't received a invitation yet, so I can't decline otherwise I would too. :D

• I have never been one to buy into the train of thought that everything about america is great and we should try to emulate and/or worship everything about the Americans and thier way of life.

• I have never been one to buy into the train of thought that everything about america is great and we should try to emulate and/or worship everything about the Americans and thier way of life.

USA is our greatest ally and a trully appaling nation. I tbullies the rest of the world, invades when it thinks it has an economic interest, and generally behaves like a cunt, but on the other hand, as we all learnt at school, it pays to be mates with the biggest kid in the playground

• USA is our greatest ally and a trully appaling nation. I tbullies the rest of the world, invades when it thinks it has an economic interest, and generally behaves like a cunt, but on the other hand, as we all learnt at school, it pays to be mates with the biggest kid in the playground

As long as we are not under the illusion that the so called "special friendship" exists for the good of the UK. ;)

• Indeed.

If we get Boris, then we get our own Trump like idiot after all.

I am actually surprised that Boris has not appeared on one of the so called reality TV shows like his dad has. :D

• I am actually surprised that Boris has not appeared on one of the so called reality TV shows like his dad has. :D

Love island? 8| "May angels and ministers of grace defend us"^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• As long as we are not under the illusion that the so called "special friendship" exists for the good of the UK. ;)

We are subservient to them clearly, but both sides gain benefits from the relationship.

• We are subservient to them clearly, but both sides gain benefits from the relationship.

Well its 60/40. The largest and 5th largest economies in the world. The most effective suviellence, spying anf anto terrorism networks. The greatest trading systems, and the two most important currencies. And we both tend to win at war.

• We are subservient to them clearly, but both sides gain benefits from the relationship.

I would say we are nothing more than a staging post for when the US wants to go on one of its world police activities.

• Due to our past empire, we have historical relationships with other countries that predate America itself. We are also still the gateway into Europe, Brexit or not and despite all our cutbacks, we do still have some significant military capabilities, if not capacity, so it is a bit more even handed than you might think.

• I concur. We are still one of the greatest trading nations on earth, with friends all over the planet, and one of the three key currencies of the world. We are not some third world backwater.

• I note Sadiq Khan has been snubbed by the Queen to meet Trump or attend the Banquet.

Too fucking right. We all know where Sadiq khans's loyalties lie....

and we still remember the insulting Trump Blimp he allowed the looney lefties to fly.