Brexit: Gibraltar angered by Spain's EU 'veto'

• Gibraltar has accused Spain of manipulating the European Council for its own political interests.
    A draft document on the EU's Brexit strategy said no agreement on the EU's future relationship with the UK would apply to Gibraltar without the consent of Spain, giving it a potential veto.
    But Gibraltar's chief minister Fabian Picardo said this was "unacceptable".

Conservative MPs in the UK have warned that the sovereignty of the UK overseas territory is non-negotiable.
    MP Jack Lopresti said Spain was using Brexit as "a fig leaf for trouble making", while fellow Tory Bob Neill tweeted "no sell out".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39453535

I don't know if the EU are just pushing their luck and waiting to see what happens or are really determined to get this bit of dictatorship accepted by us. If it's the latter I suggest we tell them to go stuff themselves and walk away right now and be done with it. We can't negotiate with people intent on blackmailing us.

• I don't know if the EU are just pushing their luck and waiting to see what happens or are really determined to get this bit of dictatorship accepted by us. If it's the latter I suggest we tell them to go stuff themselves and walk away right now and be done with it. We can't negotiate with people intent on blackmailing us.

To be fair to the EU (although I don't why I am!) it's not really them though, is it? It's Spain causing trouble.

The "biggie" is if Ireland does the same thing over Northern Ireland.

At least this exercise will tell us who are friends are and who aren't....

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• A senior Tory has been criticised for saying the prime minister would defend Gibraltar in the same way as Margaret Thatcher defended the Falklands.

Lord Howard told the BBC Theresa May would show the same "resolve" as Mrs Thatcher did over the 1982 conflict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39472207
    ====
    Michael Howard would like to see us go to war over Gibraltar if need be. Obviously he's never been there... what a dump of a place it is. Let the Spanish have it!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The Gibraltarians are overwhelmingly in favour of staying British. My view is that we should support them in that. They'll have to make up their own minds about the EU. If we lose this contretemps, we might just as well lie down in front of the EU and have our tummies tickled. It will be a total humiliation for the UK.