Will Scotland leave the UK?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I would be here all day if I was to go through all the inaccuracies in your long, long, post. In a nutshell:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/…formula-3233129

In 2018/2019, Scotland received about £81 billion in public spending, according to GERS.

That means the UK Government spent an additional £15 billion in Scotland as a whole, than it collected from the country via taxes.

The Westminster Government is able to achieve this because it pools tax revenues taken from across the four UK nations, before the money is re-allocated to each as public spending using a formula invented by Labour politician Joel Barnett in the 1970s.

If you are going to quote GERs could I suggest you understand what it is. It is a combination of all tax raised in the UK including that of local authority, English local authority borrowing and the Englsih debt or in short called UK TOTAL PUBLIC EXPENDITURE and divided into a population basis. Now you tell me what has the cost HS Link, now running atg over £106 billion or the cost of Cross Rail now running at over £19 billion or the £4 billion on London sewage and a million other massive borrowing in England including local authority and the Englsih debt debt to do with Scotland.I have already told you in terms of the UK the Scottish Government has no borrowing or tax raising or fiscal power. That means it cannot create something it cannot do. Or let me ask you again. What part of this called Scottish deficit is not a mathematical equation of massive English borrowing. Or as the anti English rant starts to proliferate. In place of answers. The standard rant on all forums. Rather than admit Scotland can no longer afford bankrupt England. And since it took power the Scottish government has underspent each year

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-19-02227/

However lets go by your so called £15 billion. How does that compare with the massive English debt of some £2,5 trillion. Yes that really is £2,500,000,000,000 and rising at over £5,000 per second. Not to mention a English local authority debt of some £300 billion on PFI alone. That £300 billion is 20 times more than the entire so called Scottish deficit. I have already told you. The rest of England's regions have more than twice Scotland’s deficit while Wales, Northern Ireland the NE and the SW of England are even worse, which just shows how much the City of London financial sector siphons off the profits generated in the rest of the UK. Or let me put it likes this. If GERs was used to calculate lets say the Dutch economy. This is how it would work To calculate the Dutch 'deficit' in the way we calculate Scotland's, the first thing you'd do is take about 20 per cent of Dutch public spending – and stop spending it in the Netherlands. Instead you'd send all that money to London so it could be spent there instead.And yes, that would immediately shrink the Dutch economy and its tax revenue at the expense of further boosting economic growth in London. Just as it does with Scotland. In short Scotland can no longer afford bankrupt England.

In terms of Barnett. I suggest you actually try and understand it. I have already told you how it works. So allow me to do a copy and paste. as it has not changed since the last time I posted it. . The Barnett formula is a mechanism used by the Treasury in the United Kingdom to automatically adjust the amounts of public expenditure allocated to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales to reflect changes in spending levels allocated to public services in England, England and Wales or Great Britain, as appropriate. In short if England needs another £10. Scotland gets £1, Wales about 50 pence and so on. And it only kicks in when England needs it. And England cannot live within its means. And it has to be paid back. What is suggested because of this total rubbish is to scrap it.

In short you want England to borrow what it wants and the rest of the UK to pay it back. That is what you are saying This is why it is time for Scotland to go its merry way. And till that happens. Scotland to have FFA. Then reality will kick in and there will be no argument. And contrary to other garbage that spouts from No. 10. It applies equally throughout the UK. And the recent best misuse is when Theresa May bribed the DUP with £1.5 billion. Under the consequentials. The English regions where screwed out of £30 billion. Scotland out of some £2.8 billion and Wales around £700,000. It took the leader of the SNP in Westminster to point it out. Again in short. Scotland can no longer afford bankrupt England. And oh in terms of your statement, being here all day. Just correct one thing I have said. One will do. Let's say. Answer.. What part of the so called Scottish deficit is not a mathematical equation of massive English borrowing. Or you pick one.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/15375599.…ottish-funding/

Edited once, last by Jaydea (June 19, 2021 at 3:17 PM).

• I have no problem with Scottish people, but so many of them seem to detest the English.

I’m not sure if they are racist or whether it’s just that they tend to be more left wing than their southern neighbours.

So point to all those that detest the English. And how are the Scots more left wing than the English. The problem with the English is you seem to have this vision of Jocks as drunk and subsidy junkies who live of the English. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was born into a war time Conservative Scotland. When the Scottish Conservative held more than 50% of the Scottish vote. . And had been a Conservative all of my life. Till Theresa May. From then I have never met such a bunch of out and out racist pratts.

With a Prime Minister and a bunch of little Englander racist fascist as a government, who makes no bones about it. And the reason I voted SNP like thousands of Conservatives. Is that not so long back a Conservative vote in Scotland was wasted. To get rid of Labour I voted SNP and it worked. Labour were decimated in Scotland. Why do you think the SNP are in power in Holyrood and most of the Scottish local authorities Because they straddle left and right of centre politics. . They underspent since they took power, . They froze the council tax for over 6 years. Hardly the work of a left wing loonie as you try to make out.

If you are going to pontificate on Scottish politics, get a grip of what is happening instead of swallowing the fanny hook line and sinker from Number 10. Then posting it here as fact. And from the 70s onward. Labour did a bang up propaganda job on Thatcher. And like the Conservatives before them. They to took the Scottish vote for granted. And get one thing into your head. It is the purpose of the SNP to leave the UK. That means it does not want to leave England.

You and your countrymen seem to think the UK is England. That is a English nation wide delusion. And that is 95% of why it is happening. Why are the Scots not Anti Welsh or Irish. And you think the Jocks are anti English. My mother is English as is my daughter in law, as is my brother in law, as is 80% of my family. And for the years I have been on political forums. The second you point out the state of the economy. Replying to the continual rants how the Jocks are wasted subsidy junkies. Back comes the reply Anti English anti English as posters are screwed for answers. Get it into your head. Scotland pays it way in the UK. And quite simply in economics. Can no longer afford bankrupt England. You not me. Made it a English Scottish thing. How did you put it. Ah it did not add up.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/scotland-snp-left-wing/
    https://theconversation.com/five-truths-ab…prise-you-45182

Edited once, last by Jaydea (June 19, 2021 at 4:40 PM).

• "Why do you think the SNP are in power in Holyrood and most of the Scottish local authorities Because they straddle left and right of centre politics".

That was the case up until Sturgeon hijacked the decent SNP in 2014 and turned it into an ultra-left political party straddling only the Marxist and the Communist politics.

Having got rid of the Labour party's stranglehold in Scotland, Sturgeon needed to go even further to the left to capture Labour's voters. She overcooked it and ended up being to the left of Corbyn. A move which she will live to regret.

The Voice of Reason

• i fear for your sanity trying to post rational questions hoping for a reply jaydea it just doesnt work here you get attacked by the same 4/5 posters who dont seem to understand rational debate involves dealing in facts and figures...instead you need to wave a kipper over your head call it a cod and blame the french that goes down a treat! Youd be a mod in no time!

Edited once, last by Fino85 (June 19, 2021 at 7:09 PM).

• OK, Jayden, no need to get so agitated.

It is certainly the view in the south that many Scots hate the English, but of course I am happy to be proved wrong on that. I am also reassured by your insistence that the Scots are not as Left politically as I thought, although I think it is true to say that most of our Labour governments in the past have been courtesy of the Scots. In fact, the SNP have probably done us a favour by making a Labour government almost impossible, having taken away all their votes!

I can understand your point about racism if you are talking about the signs that went up telling illegal immigrants to go home, although the focus was on the word ‘illegal’. However, it was not one of the proudest moments of most Conservatives, just as the anti-Jewish issues in the Labour Party is not their proudest moment. I think all of us must be careful not to take too broad a brush when we are judging others.

By the talking about ‘leaving England’, I was under the impression that the reason for wanting separation was on the basis of their hatred of English people. I have not forgotten that this does cover less than 50% of Scots, and I have heard your response that this perception about how the Scots view the English is misplaced.

By the way, Britain is not bankrupt, but it is heavily in debt now due to the coronavirus measures that have had to be taken and from which Scotland benefited.

• What I don't understand in any of this is why the folks in white coats haven't yet arrived to take mouth-foaming Jaydea back to wherever he/she/it escaped from.

In theory, if there an infinite number of Scottish people like Jaydea typing for an infinite amount of time, one of them will eventually type something that is the equal of Adam Smith. So far it looks very early days.

I could be wrong. It's just possible Jaydea is an Artificial Intelligence device - a McAlexa - where the main fuse has a loose connection which has corrupted an overloaded memory.

• What I don't understand in any of this is why the folks in white coats haven't yet arrived to take mouth-foaming Jaydea back to wherever he/she/it escaped from.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They're on speed dial. ^^

He's passionate about Scottish stuff, that's for sure. I've read his stuff before on another site. But I am surprised by your reaction to him though. For years, you've always gone for the throats of new members and scared them away, yet are being "kind" to this one. Is this the new you, or are you just on a recharge? :P

• OK, Jayden, no need to get so agitated.

It is certainly the view in the south that many Scots hate the English, but of course I am happy to be proved wrong on that. I am also reassured by your insistence that the Scots are not as Left politically as I thought, although I think it is true to say that most of our Labour governments in the past have been courtesy of the Scots. In fact, the SNP have probably done us a favour by making a Labour government almost impossible, having taken away all their votes!

I can understand your point about racism if you are talking about the signs that went up telling illegal immigrants to go home, although the focus was on the word ‘illegal’. However, it was not one of the proudest moments of most Conservatives, just as the anti-Jewish issues in the Labour Party is not their proudest moment. I think all of us must be careful not to take too broad a brush when we are judging others.

By the talking about ‘leaving England’, I was under the impression that the reason for wanting separation was on the basis of their hatred of English people. I have not forgotten that this does cover less than 50% of Scots, and I have heard your response that this perception about how the Scots view the English is misplaced.

By the way, Britain is not bankrupt, but it is heavily in debt now due to the coronavirus measures that have had to be taken and from which Scotland benefited.

How do you work out I am agitated. It is you who is agitated. And I know it is a view from the south that the Scots hate the English. The simple question asked. Point to it. And this is not a view. It is a fact. The English hate the Scots. Not only that they have this thing in their head, that they are rich country and subsidise the Scots. Nothing could be further from the truth. That is more than evident. In terms of your absolute garbage that Labour Governments are the product of Scottish voting is so ridiculous. It beggars believed. What ever government England votes. England gets. The Scots have some 56 MPs in Westminster. That is out of some 650 sesats. One of whom is Labour. So stop being silly.

On the basis of your thinking that the reason Scotland wanted separation is in your head. That is because you think England is the UK. It is saying more about the Englsih. And let me add this. I note you are calling me anti English because of what I posted on the economy. The standard rant on all forums. When some one south of the border is screwed for a answer. And you have not answered one question. As it is not what you want to hear. But somehow or other you consider yourself exempt from being anti Scottish when you discuss the Scottish economy. Of which clearly requires adjusting. And Britain is bankrupt. And Scotland has not benefited. And it is not as a result of Covid or Brexit. Those figures still have to be fed into economy. That will take about 3 years. It is because England cannot live within its means. By the way. There has been a drop of 40% in trade with the EU in January alone. I have not researched till now. But heh why let facts get in the road.

Let me give you another way in which the Scots are being screwed. Over the last 40 years the Scots have contributed some 9.6% of all UK taxes. With 8.4% of the population. That is around £6 billion a year of Scottish GDP whistling south as a UK asset. So much for GERs. London and the SE with a population of around 8 million are awarded some 45% of defence procurement. Scotland get around 3.4%. A short fall again of some £6 billion. So much for GERs. I will leave you to do the maths. Not to mention Scotland on average contributes 2.7% of GDP to defence. England on average was 1.9%. UK as a whole meets the NATO requirement. I have no issue with that. Or Trident. I have a better idea. You tell me where Scotland has benefited. Or let me put it another way. If according to your version, the Scottish economy is the result of 300 years. Would you not want to leave.

• i fear for your sanity trying to post rational questions hoping for a reply jaydea it just doesnt work here you get attacked by the same 4/5 posters who dont seem to understand rational debate involves dealing in facts and figures...instead you need to wave a kipper over your head call it a cod and blame the french that goes down a treat! Youd be a mod in no time!

Yes I know. Like you. I have never read the Emperor's Clothes. I deal in facts. On some 20 posts. I have not seen one correction yet. As you say. It is not what they want to hear. I get my kill when on the facebook forums. You will see on that. Real clueless clowns in action. The best hilarious one so far. Every post I read was wee krankie this and wee Krankie that. The second I replied with Big Kranky Bojo. I was banned. You could not make it up. Guffaw guffaw guffaw.

• Incorrect, not all do and I suggest those that do are in the minority rather than the majority.

You are quite correct not all. My family for instance. You are very wrong. A majority. Along with hatred of blacks, Muslims, Europeans and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all. Welcome to UKIP thinking England. And Boris Trump. Do you think Boris will managed to get the masses to storm Westminster if he loses . But I thought you did not care.

In theory, if there an infinite number of Scottish people like Jaydea typing for an infinite amount of time, one of them will eventually type something that is the equal of Adam Smith. So far it looks very early days.

I could be wrong. It's just possible Jaydea is an Artificial Intelligence device - a McAlexa - where the main fuse has a loose connection which has corrupted an overloaded memory.

As he spectacularly fails as usual to correct one word I have said. The foaming is coming from you as you are totally incapable of correcting one word I have said. And you are 100% wrong. I am real. You do not even have the ability to get that correct. And your clueless idiotic insult go in one ear and out the other. As you have nothing but insults to offer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!