Will Scotland leave the UK?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Scotland election results 2019: Exit poll forecasts SNP to win 55 seats

The SNP are predicted to win 55 of the 59 seats in Scotland while the Conservatives could be on course to win an overall majority.

I'm going to pin this thread, as I think Scottish independence and not Brexit will now be the dominate political topic if the exit polls are correct and the SNP do well. In fact, the dominate political topic of our entire lifetime.

• I admire the Scots for their nationalism, but not their common sense. They have a large percentage of people who don't want to be ruled by the British parliament but have no objection being ruled by the EU parliament. The average EU deficit is 1%, and is the highest deficit a country can have to be allowed to join the EU, however Scotland's deficit is 7%. Despite their spending, their NHS is worse than ours. The SDP are extremely left wing, and believe they can spend their way out of trouble, and we all know that doesn't work. They also believe that they can continue with free education, and free prescriptions etc etc, without the massive subsidies from the government. Despite having so many seats, it's still only 45% of the country who voted SDP, which tells me that a referendum would still produce a small remain vote.

I would love to see Scotland leave, because I believe they cost the UK an enormous amount of money. If I were in power the first thing I would do is address the Barnett formula, because Scotland has had it to good for to long.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• I would love to see Scotland leave, because I believe they cost the UK an enormous amount of money. If I were in power the first thing I would do is address the Barnett formula, because Scotland has had it to good for to long.

I wonder whether giving them full fiscal autonomy would provide a solution. No handouts, no Barnett formula, let them keep all the tax they raise, but keep central control over the major things such as defence, foreign policy, immigration, etc. If the Scottish government isn't willing to contribute towards defence of the country (for example) that could prove to be a bit of a sticking point.

Things that will affect the UK as a whole should stay within the UK Parliament. I'll give it a bit more thought.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The support for independence is Scotland has fallen from their electorate. The SNP have basically taken over the old Labour policies which is where their support comes from, the Scots are too canny to withdraw from Westminsters financial umbrella

• the Scots are too canny to withdraw from Westminsters financial umbrella

I'm not sure if Sturgeon would still expect handouts if Scotland leaves the union, but I suspect she does. What's more, our history of being soft makes me think we would still throw money at them. Interesting to see what would happen regarding a border

• I'm not sure if Sturgeon would still expect handouts if Scotland leaves the union, but I suspect she does. What's more, our history of being soft makes me think we would still throw money at them. Interesting to see what would happen regarding a border

They would probably qualify for "Foreign Aid" ;)

• Sturgeon just gave her election victory speech a few minutes ago and she appears to want the powers to call for a independence referendum transferred to Hollyrood from Westminster. I'm sure Boris will jump at that...;)

She has a lot more Westminster MPs again, so expect them to make a lot of noise, but unlike recent years, there's nothing they can do to block Brexit or any government policy now.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51106796?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics&link_location=live-reporting-story

Will the SNP just give up now? Of course they won't! They'll just make as much noise as possible, but I suppose it gives them something to do.

• I think we should have referendum in England to see if we should allow Scotland to stay. For the record I would love to see the back of the moaning bar stewards

• Will the SNP just give up now? Of course they won't! They'll just make as much noise as possible, but I suppose it gives them something to do.

I think the United Kingdom will break up. The Scots have been royally shafted by Brexit and they're very unhappy about it. It's not a question of "if", it's only a question of "When".

The English think of Scotland not as an equal partner in a union of nations, but as a territorial possession..... as if it is the last remaining outpost of the Empire. And this is not necessarily my opinion, but is the comment I have heard a number of times from various Scots. Whether or not it is a true perception, it's how many Scots feel.

In the 2014 independence referendum, many Scots voted to remain a part of the UK solely because they believed that staying with the UK was their best way of staying in the European Union. It was a constant theme of the message played out by the remain camp during the Scottish Independence referendum campaign. It made sense to them at that time. If they left the union, they would have to apply to join the EU as an independent country.

They stayed with the UK because in 2014, nobody knew that Cameron was going to call an EU referendum. Again, many comments I have heard, seen and read since then from Scots say that had they known the English (and Brexit IS overwhelmingly an English thing) were going take them out of the EU, then there is little doubt that they would have voted for independence.

Even after the 2016, had the British government said that they would recognise Scotland's desire to remain in the EU and committed to doing all they could to come to some arrangement with the EU, that may have placated the situation.

But Teresa May said "Brexit means Brexit".... thus putting down a red line that is a major factor in, what I believe, will lead to inevitable departure of Scotland from the United Kingdom.

We need to understand that Boris Johnson will not be Prime Minister forever (although it will probably feel like it by the time the Tory party decides he's outlived his usefulness and stabs him in the front).

He is on his honeymoon with the British people right now. He walks on water. He is the proverbial mutts nuts.

But he will eventually overreach himself, just like Margaret Thatcher did with the Poll Tax. He'll get too cocky. He'll push his luck too far and that will be the end of Boris.

The Scots may not get their referendum during his tenure in office, but it will come. Eventually. And when it does, the Scottish people will be unforgiving of the English for their hubris and their arrogance.

The Union flag is living on borrowed time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!