Jeremy Kyle TV show is suspended.

• The somewhat controversial Jeremy Kyle day time TV show has been suspended after one of the participants on the show commits suicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48253358

I can honestly say I have only ever watched a few minutes of a episode and that was enough, I have seen it described in the media as equivalent to bear baiting and from what I saw I would agree, Kyles attitude on the show is of smug self righteousness and if it wasn't for the fact the show employs bouncers he would have been decked by the very people he taunts on there years ago, hopefully they will pull the plug permanently, but no doubt they will just replace with more of the same brain dead TV.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• What are the couch potatoes and dole cheats going to watch now?^^

I've never had any inclination to watch it. It's the sort of banal cringe worthy TV that we hate.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• The somewhat controversial Jeremy Kyle day time TV show has been suspended after one of the participants on the show commits suicide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48253358

I can honestly say I have only ever watched a few minutes of a episode and that was enough, I have seen it described in the media as equivalent to bear baiting and from what I saw I would agree, Kyles attitude on the show is of smug self righteousness and if it wasn't for the fact the show employs bouncers he would have been decked by the very people he taunts on there years ago, hopefully they will pull the plug permanently, but no doubt they will just replace with more of the same brain dead TV.

It's a modern day version of the gladiatorial arena and its only purpose is to make "entertainment" out of the ignorant and downtrodden.

Like you, I've never watched more than a few minutes here and there and that was plenty. Going by today's news,this show will get cancelled.

The BBC and CH4 used to do some programmes about what tv would be like in the future, this was when satellite tv launched and people dying as a result of these so called entertainment shows was predicted and now it's come true.

Either this crap stops now, or we'll end up with real life Hunger Games type shows.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The people who want to go on these shows are mentally challenged. The people who are hooked on viewing these shows can obviously identify with or are stimulated by those on the screen and are therefore also mentally challenged.

So it is understandable that they will have an above-average likelihood to top themselves.

Stopping the shows is beside the point. There will always be incentives in this ever-deteriorating society for people to top themselves. It's a consoling thought that they do it when young, so they don't have children.

• Wife calls it the daily freak show , if I am at home and she puts it on we have a 5 minute competition as that is my limit ,revolving around :

Tattoo's

Missing teeth

Jogging bottoms

The regular use of innit at the end of every sentence .

It is appalling TV but it is ITV , are their Saturday night offerings much better?

• The main arrear of concern in this case seems to be the accuracy of lie detector tests, apparently one was carried out and despite the fact at best they are only 90% accurate, there are other trains of thought that suggest lie detectors are only 70% accurate, Kyle always insists that the person is lying if the test says they are, I dont know how many tests the show has carried out but surely allowances have to be made for the fact the result could be wrong on between 10 to 30% of the occasions, do they make allowances for someone's mental state or whether or not the person could be under the influence of drugs etc, even some over the counter drugs can have effects such drowsiness etc which may influence the test results also.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I think the Jeremy Kyle show - and other so-called "reality" shows - should continue, as a relaxed easygoing first step for participants towards voluntary eugenics.

Many of those who watch these shows should also be invited as participants

You can't ban stupidity

• I think your conclusion completely eclipses my half-flippant morbidity in #7

Your dystopian prediction is to be taken seriously. I meant it when I said you can't ban stupidity. Nor can you ban mental illness. But you can ban or do something about lousy education and lousy parenting. It's a long haul to get people to develop a natural immunity against stupidity and self-ruination.

believe one cannot ban a bad want, indeed, I think that to try and do so can have the opposite effect. Instead one has to teach or condition people, win hearts & minds if you like, to no longer want that want. At which point Hunger Games, the Jeremy Kyle Show and suchlike will be re-perceived as deliberate even horrific fantasy , the very opposite of aspirational or desirable. Influential people one can trust and admire, ie not politicians, need to shame and insult participants of such shows, pour scorn on them but avoid any hint of social snobbery or moral disapproval.

• I always thought it was about who was cheating on whom and how many people they were doing it with.

You would've loved my old scum neighbours and the new ones aren't much better either, innit.:P

The main arrear of concern in this case seems to be the accuracy of lie detector tests, apparently one was carried out and despite the fact at best they are only 90% accurate, there are other trains of thought that suggest lie detectors are only 70% accurate, Kyle always insists that the person is lying if the test says they are, I dont know how many tests the show has carried out but surely allowances have to be made for the fact the result could be wrong on between 10 to 30% of the occasions, do they make allowances for someone's mental state or whether or not the person could be under the influence of drugs etc, even some over the counter drugs can have effects such drowsiness etc which may influence the test results also.

I think it's obvious no allowances are made, quite the opposite. Staff who used to work on the show have said that the guests were wound up before they went in front the cameras.

As I said, a gladiatorial arena.

• I think your conclusion completely eclipses my half-flippant morbidity in #7

Your dystopian prediction is to be taken seriously. I meant it when I said you can't ban stupidity. Nor can you ban mental illness. But you can ban or do something about lousy education and lousy parenting. It's a long haul to get people to develop a natural immunity against stupidity and self-ruination.

believe one cannot ban a bad want, indeed, I think that to try and do so can have the opposite effect. Instead one has to teach or condition people, win hearts & minds if you like, to no longer want that want. At which point Hunger Games, the Jeremy Kyle Show and suchlike will be re-perceived as deliberate even horrific fantasy , the very opposite of aspirational or desirable. Influential people one can trust and admire, ie not politicians, need to shame and insult participants of such shows, pour scorn on them but avoid any hint of social snobbery or moral disapproval.

As you said in post 7, there are lots of people who watch this show too, over a million, so that is a lot of people that need educating and sent to parenting classes.