Moyes told to explain himself after telling a BBC reporter she might "get a slap".

• Sunderland boss David Moyes will be asked by the Football Association to explain himself after telling a BBC reporter she might "get a slap".

After his side's draw with Burnley on 18 March, Moyes was asked by Vicki Sparks if the presence of owner Ellis Short had put extra pressure on him.

He said "no" but, after the interview, added Sparks "might get a slap even though you're a woman" and told her to be "careful" next time she visited.
    Moyes "deeply regrets" the comments.

"It was in the heat of the moment," added the 53-year-old Scot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39484238

I really can't understand what all the fuss is about. Moyes made a perfectly light hearted remark to the BBC reporter who didn't take offence and was laughing along with him. Having seen videos of the incident on the news it is obvious the remark was not a threat or even meant to be. It is totally beyond me why some self righteous prigs seem to assume that they have to act on behalf of the feminine population. I've spent a great deal of my working life with women, I had a stock of one liners " I'll slap your legs in a minute if you keep interrupting me." - " I wish I'd married you myself now." and other, what no doubt would be deemed offensive or sexist remarks now.

God alone know how people get on at work now, I'd be frightened to say anything in case some over sensitive soul was ' offended.' and I lost my job over a similar remark or alleged 'racist' comment.

When on earth did everybody acquire the seemingly inalienable right not to be 'offended.'?

• I saw the video too and it was clear it was said as a light hearted remark, although he is a idiot for saying such a thing to a lady, though.

God alone know how people get on at work now, I'd be frightened to say anything in case some over sensitive soul was ' offended.' and I lost my job over a similar remark or alleged 'racist' comment.

I got a "off the record" warning once, (there is no such thing as "off the record", all warnings stick like glue to you forever) for complimenting a female colleague who was junior to me on her work and saying she was doing a really good job and was very thorough. She made a complaint against me that I was being over critical of her and her work, it was actually my job to supervisor her and her work.... I was warned I was being overbearing and to "back off".....

Another time and it was when Princess Diana died and I was genuinely shocked and upset. The opposite was true for my colleagues in my department at that time. They went round with smug smiles and were celebrating. Literally... The "mistake" I made was telling them I was going to see Diana's flowers at the front of Buckingham Palace, it was only about a ten minute walk from my office. When I came back, all "hell" was let loose. I had a afternoon of nasty jibes directly at me, emails from "anonymous" people with all sorts of "things" on them, my coat and bag went missing for a bit etc. In the end I exploded (which was their aim) and told one of them to shag some sheep (he was Welsh) and the other one to go and find some young boys to play with (he was very effeminate, very hyper and very tall and thin and used to walk up and down the office at 100mph and I had to almost dive to get out of his way all the time). For that, I got another "unofficial" warning.

• I saw the video too and it was clear it was said as a light hearted remark, although he is a idiot for saying such a thing to a lady, though.

Unfortunately todays "generation Snowflake" are so easily offended or offended on anothers behalf we all have to tread carefully. The ridiculous hyperbole that flows far to easily from them over social media. How many times do you hear "I was devastated" No you weren't, you're just a little upset. Devastated is what happens in Syria when a barrel bomb drops on your house. My and my mothers generation would have just ignored the comment or laughed it off. Maybe because they went through the war and the privations of the fifties and I experienced the cold war as a teenager and at one time the very real possibility of a nuke war and imminent death has made us more realistic about what is, or is not, important.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Unfortunately todays "generation Snowflake" are so easily offended or offended on anothers behalf we all have to tread carefully. The ridiculous hyperbole that flows far to easily from them over social media. How many times do you hear "I was devastated" No you weren't, you're just a little upset. Devastated is what happens in Syria when a barrel bomb drops on your house. My and my mothers generation would have just ignored the comment or laughed it off. Maybe because they went through the war and the privations of the fifties and I experienced the cold war as a teenager and at one time the very real possibility of a nuke war and imminent death has made us more realistic about what is, or is not, important.

Just from the perspective of running this site, it's something I am really concerned about.

If someone gets "offended" by this site and I get reported, how can I run a discussion board if everyone's "sensitivities" have to be protected all the time?

• That's unlikely to happen, H, if the modding is adequate. It's personal abuse that you can be held responsible for as an admin if your mods haven't adequately dealt with it.

• Just from the perspective of running this site, it's something I am really concerned about.

If someone gets "offended" by this site and I get reported, how can I run a discussion board if everyone's "sensitivities" have to be protected all the time?

I'm offended by the opinions of people who keep saying that Brexit will be a total disaster and we can't make trade deals etc. on our own, want us to stay in the EU, think mass immigration is wonderful and that Jeremy Corbyn is the best thing since sliced bread.

Can you remove them all please? :)

• Just from the perspective of running this site, it's something I am really concerned about.

Oh I could write a book on this. The answer is, you don't have to worry, unless anything strays into illegal stuff, but you might get the odd person leaving in a huff from time to time.

I have also long had a forum that can only be seen when you're a member, this gets used for more "robust", contentious stuff. What this does is prevent random members of the public (and Google) from seeing it. (You can also then block people from it using a usergroup if they won't play ball). Whether all this is necessary depends on how far you let people go, but when you run a site like this one things will usually get heated and / or contentious at some point.

Mark