Horizon's Cookery Class

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Yes that did occur to me when he handed the thing over. Warthogs are plentiful all over SA and are a pest to farmers as they eat their crops so hunters shoot 'em and eat 'em. SA is a very meat oriented nation. You won't get them to stop. We have our faint hearted vegans and oddball health fanatics of course, courtesy of TV and social media, but the average citizen loves meat.

• You can get bush meat in some parts of London. :rolleyes: With the rose in price and the slow elimination of meat I can see a lot more pet dogs being stolen. Who knows maybe eventually people will move onto people. Call it Pork as apparently we taste similar to Pork.

• You can get bush meat in some parts of London. :rolleyes: With the rose in price and the slow elimination of meat I can see a lot more pet dogs being stolen. Who knows maybe eventually people will move onto people. Call it Pork as apparently we taste similar to Pork.

You’ve been watching ‘Soylent Green’ again, haven’t you, Norra? :D

• It's not bush meat, it's game. Bush meat is heads, organs and digits of wild animals. In South Africa game is part of the meat industry and is farmed. Our ancestors in Europe all ate wild boar.

• That's really interesting. They call it bushmeat over here as it's illegally sold in places like Brixton Market or from uder the counter in some butchers. It makes sense that you have stuff like that on the supermarket shelf's. You must have some interesting poultry too. There's certainly a lot of choice. How about Antelope do you get things like that in the supermarket or are they saved for the Lions. I suspect they are bit like Venison.

• All sorts of wildlife are eaten here. Not by me, incidentally, but by many other folk. Antelope of various kinds are hunted every season for biltong and meat. Giraffe, crocodile, warthog, etc are eaten in restaurants and homes, if hunters do the shooting themselves. There are many game farms now. A lot of women hunt now too. Not something I could ever do. But it's popular. There are lots of beautiful game birds but I can't bear to think of killing them ;(

• It's not bush meat,

No, she's right LW. We have loads of incidents where various places get raided and they remove all sorts of disgusting stuff like heads and tails of dead animals. But even the bush meat, what you call game, is called bush meat here too. It all mainly originates from African and Arab communities, but sometimes Indian too. As for the Chinese, anything they can stick in a wok, they'll eat.

Don't forget London is not English. Those of us us left in London are in a minority now.

Anyway, back to cooking. ;)

• Well, over here when we say game we mean it as though it were coming from any butchery, which most of it does, all cleanly packaged and ready for sale. Hunters who shoot their own, either have butchers cut it up or they do it themselves at home with meat saws. They make their own biltong and dried sausages and have freezers filled with healthy fat free game meat. It's a meat culture, especially inland. The coastal regions are more into fish.

• Warthog salami on toast for breakfast this morning. It was delicious. The other half of the salami is in the freezer and I am thinking of using it for pizza. Thank you warthog for your meat, which you didn't give willingly, but you are incredibly tasty. Respect! 8)

• Going to run up a batch of beef Madras curry. I'll pre-cook the beef for 2-3 hours to make it tender. I'm using some Patak's spice paste. It's a bit of a cheat but even the TV cooks reckon the paste is a good way to go.

Fresh garlic, ginger, onion and tinned chopped tomatoes to complete.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• There are some very good ready made curry pastes and sauces out there so nothing wrong with using them as far as I am concerned, I particularly like the ones that have the dry spices in a separate pack on top of the jars.

• Meat is cooked and very tender so the curry is made up and now simmering for 30 odd minutes. 4 portions so two for us tonight and the others to go in the freezer for later. I put them in microwave/freezer trays. Once solid I pop them out and wrap with cling film and bag up.

I'll do some nice fluffy Basmati rice. You can do this by the absorption method but I cook it on the boil with plenty of water for 10 minutes, drain and return to the pan covered, quick 30 second blast on the hob and then allowed to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and serve.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Just a heads up for those members in the UK: Lidl are doing pot roast beef joints from Thursday at £6.99 a kilo. Sizes 1.3 to 1.6kg

Grab this as it is really good, slow cooked for at least 3 hours. Doesn't say what the cut is but I'd put good money on brisket.

Your mouth will worship you forever. ^^

4312-gwban-gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!