The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't doubt he'll do his best to implement these aims. The problems usually lie with all the obstructions leaders come up against when they attempt to do this and you have to be assertive, determined and patriotic to a fault to be able to overcome most of them. As well as intelligently compassionate and wise.

Boris's big challenge lies there.

• Does anyone know why all the EU flags are once again flying outside parliament ?, who owns the land that these flags are planted on daily , can anyone tear them down ?

Thought this myself. I wonder how long it would take for the authorities to remove the flag of St George ?

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Thought this myself. I wonder how long it would take for the authorities to remove the flag of St George ?

I guess the authorities are Remainers. So too the police. As for the man with the megaphone, he is known ot be a dyed in the wool remainer. If an alternative spelling of dyed ever became more appropriate that would be a Godsend. I'm surprised none of the newspapers have asked the Met chief Cressida Dick why she has turned a blind eye to such a deliberate public disturbance. Is she waiting for someone to knock his teeth out? Has she ever entertained the notion of crime prevention?

• I'm bumping this old thread because it seems to be the only one that gets close to what I want to say.

How much longer can Boris Johnson stay in Downing Street..?

100'000 deaths and after his - fake? - display of contrition, the calls for him to resign are mounting.

boris-1.jpg

That is the issue at hand today: should Boris Johnson resign over his Covid-19 failures?

Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain showered Robert Jenrick with just a fraction of the evidence of Johnson’s failures and it was overwhelming. Jenrick’s reply was to attempt to turn the conversation to the brighter side (as these government spokespeople do) but his words rang hollow:

boris-2.jpg

Perhaps surprisingly, Sky News went further - with a claim that Johnson's act of contrition on television yesterday was "gaslighting the nation":

brexit-3.jpg

These are not isolated examples. Peter Stefanovic (above) was right to say that Morgan was expressing “the exhausted, exasperated, gut wrenching anger of the nation”.

Johnson said he did everything he could. But consider the response of Dr Zubaida Haque, here: he only did what he was willing to do. And he clearly wasn’t willing to do enough.

boris-3.jpg

Angela Rayner, for the Labour Party – not somebody I now feel comfortable quoting because of the diabolical persecution of her own party members that she supports – also nails it:

boris-4.jpg

The trouble is, her party wants schools reopened just as soon as possible, even though this will only provide an opportunity to infect and kill even more people.

Perhaps a more acceptable Labour response is Bell Ribeiro-Addy’s:

boris-5.jpg

Worst of all is the fact that people simply do not believe that the UK’s prime minister genuinely feels any sorrow, regret or contrition for the results of his actions (or inactions):

boris-6.jpg

Instead – and this is the knockout blow as far as I’m concerned – we think he is a fake:

boris-7.jpg

That should be the end of him.

We should also bear in mind at all times that if Johnson is taking responsibility for everything that the government has done – as he claimed – then he is also taking responsibility for the deaths its decisions have caused: 2,000 in the construction industry, around 30,000 in care homes, and many more in other sectors around the UK.

Saddest of all is the fact that, even if Johnson quits, the agony won’t be over. The UK electorate gave his Conservatives an 80-seat Parliamentary majority in November 2019. This means that, even if he does quit, we’ll only have another useless Tory foisted on us. Jeremy Hunt is already positioning himself to claim the leadership.

Other possible candidates are even worse. Johnson surrounded himself with a Cabinet of halfwits and this means that there is a very limited choice of replacements.

Would you want Priti Patel running the country? Dominic Raab? Robert Jenrick? Nadhim Zahawi? Michael Gove? Jacob Rees-Mogg?

Just typing the names hammers home how ridiculous it would be.

But those are the choices if Johnson is forced out. And what about us – the population at large? I'm only in my mid 30's and yet I've had to put up with five different Tory Prime Ministers in my lifetime. Johnson is the worst of a very awful bunch.

The question we all have to ask ourselves is: Can we survive this government..?

• Boris will and should remain Prime Minister. The Chinese virus and the world wide pandemic was caused by China. It was Introduced into Britain through international travel. It was a completely unknown virus and the country has responded in a very short time. As well as dealing with covid the PM also had to deal with the EU's Nasty Dirty Tricks Dept as we left that crumbling organisation. . Given all the challenges the PM had to face he stayed strong even during his illness and all credit to the PM for his fortitude and wise decision making.

The Voice of Reason

• I'm only in my mid 30's and yet I've had to put up with five different Tory Prime Ministers in my lifetime. Johnson is the worst of a very awful bunch.

Well I'm in my 50s and had to put-up with different Tory and Labour governments who have all made various cock-ups throughout my lifetime, and too be honest there doesn't seem to be much difference between either party apart from the colour of the rosette they wear at election time, they all promise this that or the other to get votes, maybe what is really needed is another horse in the race that can realistically offer a third way, we have the other various also rans but none of them seem to offer anything different.

• Well I'm in my 50s and had to put-up with different Tory and Labour governments who have all made various cock-ups throughout my lifetime, and too be honest there doesn't seem to be much difference between either party apart from the colour of the rosette they wear at election time, they all promise this that or the other to get votes, maybe what is really needed is another horse in the race that can realistically offer a third way, we have the other various also rans but none of them seem to offer anything different.

This is the part of politics that is generally accepted and to an extent it's true.

I think that most people starting off in political life come into it for the right reasons. They want to make a difference. They want to serve. They want to do the right thing, but somewhere along the line some get sucked into what those who take the cynical view call the "realpolitik" of the world.

This is the murky side of it. Back-stairs bartering.... shady deals.... "You-scratch-my-back"..... and trade-offs. And of course, in getting involved in these things they themselves become compromised. Their opponents find out about it and then they have a gun to hold to a politicians head. It happens, and politics itself is degraded.

But not always, and not always to a great extent. A lot of these iffy arrangements are quite moderate in their seriousness and in some cases, actually do make a change for the better. They can be justified - at least in the mind of the doer - as being beneficial. Of course, beneficial is as ideology dictates. What Labour call a benefit, the tories might call a "betrayal" of whatever label they can pin on it. And it works both ways. That too is politics.

So yes.... politics does have this murky side to it. But by and large, this isn't the case. At least, I don't think it is. I think that down the decades, most have worked hard on behalf of their constituents and done a decent job. So... what makes a good politician...?

Well, for me, they have to be trustworthy. I have to believe that, even with the odd shady arrangement here and there, no law breaking has taken place. And when the truth comes out, we hope we can say that what was done was, if not strictly moral, was at least lawful and tolerable enough to be allowed for the benefits it incurred. However, if it is unlawful, or of such a serious nature as to be too far against the standards expected, the offender would either resign or be sacked.

Prime Ministers in the past have exercised reasonable judgement. Parliamentary rules set certain standards of behaviour, the rest is up to the judgement of the Prime minister, whose conduct MUST be above reproach.

So...... what do we have in Britain today..? Well, I once read about when Churchill spoke with Stalin at Yalta in early 1945. Churchill asked Uncle Joe "How do your people tolerate such huge losses in this war?" Stalin replied: "In Russia, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

What he meant was that, even in the most awful of circumstances, after a while people become numb to tragedy. They become de-sensitised and accept with resignation that which they would usually rebel against.

And that is how things are in Britain now. We have lived so long with a governing party that is so corrupt... dishonest... and incompetent that their behaviour has become the norm. Many people no longer care any more when Boris Johnson lies. They shrug and say "All politicians lie". This really is the stage we are at now.

Boris Johnson knows this and being the vain, narcissistic man he is, he has become emboldened. He knows he can say anything he wants and will not be held to account for it. I imagine that a man of such low moral worth is quite excited by being able to do that. The feeling of power he gets must be overwhelming for him. This was what he went into politics for. Not to serve, but to gain power.

His government is so full of dishonest, incompetent men and women that they should fall by all the standards and rules that have been set by precedent and legislation over more than two hundred years. But they don't by a mixture of cronyism, personality politics and sheer refusal to follow set standards. Dominic Cummings.... Priti Patel.... Gavin Williamson.... all should have been sacked for one reason or another, but weren't. Boris Johnson needs them because they are his "Yes men". We aren't led by a government, we are ruled by a self-serving cabal who know they are untouchable until 2024 at least. And who knows what they will do between now and then to ensure they will stay in office.

Boris Johnson is often described as "Mini-Trump" and we have seen how Trump tried everything including insurrection to stay in power. Who knows what this Tory government will do . Trump failed because America's democratic systems were robust, and the people of America woke up in time.

We have to pray that ours will do the same.

• I think I've been around long enough to know what I see and see what I know. ;)

Fair enough. We're all entitled to make our own choices.

You may find this an interesting read: It's been translated from the original Italian and it offers an objective view from outside of the UK and therefore has the benefit of "standing back" and seeing from a wider perspective. Give it a read and see what you think:

Decline and Fall of the British Empire

• Boris isn't as strong as I would liked, and is far to liberal. I would love to see Priti Patel in charge because she takes no prisoners and isn't afraid of pissing people off. All that said, Boris has had to deal Brexit and a world pandemic. Not a single person in the country would have agreed with every one of his policies and decisions, purely because we all have our own opinions. In general though I think he has done a very good job, albeit I would have liked to have seen him spend less money, rather than the uncontrolled spending Starmer is calling for. Let's just thank our lucky stars Labour didn't win the last general election

• It makes no difference whatsoever who is at the head of the table but one thing is on the cards pretty soon by the looks of it. Boris will quietly step down and retire because of health reasons and let someone else f**ck things up for the end period of dealing COVID in hope that blame can be passed on and diverted away from him. Don't forget there is a good chance we will have this for at least another year yet. He will pass the buck on in the same way as when different parties come into power. They are all waste of space and wouldn't be worth spitting on if on fire whether that be Labour, Conservative or some other party. Until the system is changed there will be no change.

• It makes no difference whatsoever who is at the head of the table but one thing is on the cards pretty soon by the looks of it. Boris will quietly step down and retire because of health reasons and let someone else f**ck things up for the end period of dealing COVID in hope that blame can be passed on and diverted away from him. Don't forget there is a good chance we will have this for at least another year yet. He will pass the buck on in the same way as when different parties come into power. They are all waste of space and wouldn't be worth spitting on if on fire whether that be Labour, Conservative or some other party. Until the system is changed there will be no change.

and there will be someone saying exactly the same thing about the leader/government in every other country in the world. Not sure what system you are talking about, hope it's not bloody communism, even the Russians gave up on that one

• No, I like the idea of lottery type system and having names drawn out of a hat. Every person in the county can have their name put in the hat. It does not matter if you have a millionaire family and went to Eton or you come from a poor family and went to the local public school. You don't need qualifications to be a prime minister. You just need some common sense and be held accountable for any fraudulent personal gains made while in power. One can remain in power for a couple of years with legal protections in place so one does not lose a current job if employed. Then a new name can be pulled out of the pot. Anyone and everyone gets a chance. The wage while in power can be whatever the minimum wage is at the time plus expenses which should be capped after so much.

• No, I like the idea of lottery type system and having names drawn out of a hat. Every person in the county can have their name put in the hat. It does not matter if you have a millionaire family and went to Eton or you come from a poor family and went to the local public school. You don't need qualifications to be a prime minister. You just need some common sense and be held accountable for any fraudulent personal gains made while in power. One can remain in power for a couple of years with legal protections in place so one does not lose a current job if employed. Then a new name can be pulled out of the pot. Anyone and everyone gets a chance. The wage while in power can be whatever the minimum wage is at the time plus expenses which should be capped after so much.

Our PM only earns about £140k a year. He work about a 100 hours a week and is under immense pressure. This is regardless of who you vote for. There are plastic spoon salesman who probably earn as much. It's a horrible job that deserves a lot more. The rise could be paid for by holding back some of the benefits from the lazy bastards who refuse to work, and the disabled who insist on having a new car delivered every three years

If you think about that for a while, Norra, I think you may decide to have a re-think! That idea would be an unmitigated disaster!

Not a bad Idea, the chances are we could end up with a complete moron as PM, but that might be quite entertaining, and at least we wouldn't be paying them too much. :D

• Not a bad Idea, the chances are we could end up with a complete moron as PM, but that might be quite entertaining, and at least we wouldn't be paying them too much. :D

We nearly did end up as you said. At the last general election. Think of the absolute disaster if Corbyn had won. . ^^

The Voice of Reason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!