The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Who will win? 3

1. Dominic Raab (0) 0%
    2. Michael Gove (0) 0%
    3. Andrea Leadsom (0) 0%
    4. Sajid Javid (0) 0%
    5. Esther McVey (0) 0%
    6. Jeremy Hunt (0) 0%
    7. Rory Stewart (0) 0%
    8. Matt Hancock (0) 0%
    9. Mark Harper (0) 0%
    10. Boris (3) 100%

I thought we'd better have a separate thread for the contest to be the next Conservative leader and prime minister. I'll add a poll to this post, once all the candidates are known and some news links.

I still think Boris will be prime minister, although with today's news of his court case has made things far less clear.

Edit: 10th June. Added poll

• In your poll, please make sure you have an option that says 'none of the above'. :)

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I agree, and I think it should be an option on all ballot papers too.

If the main parties continue foisting Remainers candidates upon us, I can forecast that 'none of the above' will be the winner.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Tricky. I don't trust Gove, he appears to think he can be the great peace maker and unite all sides, but that's what Mrs May has been doing for the past three years. No, not Gove, he will be more of the same. Dare I say it? the B word, yes I think I favour Boris! He doesn't pretend to like everyone and I like his forthright if blunt and yes on occasion clumsy approach. If not Boris, what about Raab or McVey?

To be honest, If I was an MP right now and had aspirations of becoming Tory leader, I think I'd keep my powder dry for a couple of years. Imo the only party leader who is safe, is Farage.

• Just been listening to George Osborne on the radio (PM radio 4) who is of the opinion that the Conservative party are "heading for the rocks that Farage is standing on". OK I accept he is bitter about being sacked, but what he said seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Elected MP or not, the only leader who has the full backing of the party he or indeed she leads, is Nigel Farage. Osborne seems to think the Brexit Party are capable of destroying the Conservative party, a tad over the top perhaps? But it's a thought that 'should' focus anyone's mind who thinks he or she should be the next leader of the Tory party.

• Which is why I said in the Boris thread the other day that I think the Conservative MPs will fall into line if Boris becomes PM and go along with whatever he decides. Self interest, nice pay packets and pensions are a strong motivator for them and they lose all that if Farage wipes them out at the next general election.

• As well as this new contender, these are the other candidates for the top job:

Boris

Michael Gove

Andrea Leadsom

Dominic Raab

James Cleverly

Matt Hancock

Mark Harper

Jeremy Hunt

Sajiid Javid

Kit Malthouse

Esther McVey

Rory Stewart

And others such as Graham Brady, Priti Patel and Penny Mordaunt may join the fight too. And a bun fight it will be!

This all should've been done last year.

• The Tories have to do something about this pantomime, it's ridiculous. Christ there will be more candidates than voters if this carries on.

I suppose I should pin my colours to the mast and say my choice would be Boris. Not because I think he is a great statesman but because he dislikes the EU and right now I'd be prepared to see Beelzebub himself as leader of the Conservative party if it got us out of the EU.

• Let's see what happens. My first thoughts are that the Remainers have been proven wrong, yet again, when they said nobody would want the PM's job, other than May!

My second thoughts are that a Brexiter will not be put forward, if the last 40 years are anything to go by. The main parties have deliberately only given us a choice of pro-EU v pro-EU candidates (and parties), for the most part anyway. That's why we have a preponderance of pro-EU MP's. Will they learn from past mistakes? I wouldn't bet on it!

• Let's see what happens. My first thoughts are that the Remainers have been proven wrong, yet again, when they said nobody would want the PM's job, other than May!

My second thoughts are that a Brexiter will not be put forward, if the last 40 years are anything to go by. The main parties have deliberately only given us a choice of pro-EU v pro-EU candidates (and parties), for the most part anyway. That's why we have a preponderance of pro-EU MP's. Will they learn from past mistakes? I wouldn't bet on it!

Once a remainiac MP always a remainiac MP, but one thing is for sure, come the next general election we will have the choice of the Brexit party. And that frightens the anti democracy, anti Great Britain pro EU establishment to death.

• Once a remainiac MP always a remainiac MP, but one thing is for sure, come the next general election we will have the choice of the Brexit party. And that frightens the anti democracy, anti Great Britain pro EU establishment to death.

I'm not convinced they are scared. They have managed to avoid true democracy for decades by only giving us pro-EU choices, and their 'winning formula' of restricted choice will continue. I think it will take an actual GE defeat to get rid of the anti-democrats.

Many Remain MP's are still in denial, their Remain ego's boosted by the pro-EU MSM who claim that Remain 'won' the EU elections.

• I'm not convinced they are scared. They have managed to avoid true democracy for decades by only giving us pro-EU choices, and their 'winning formula' of restricted choice will continue. I think it will take an actual GE defeat to get rid of the anti-democrats.

Many Remain MP's are still in denial, their Remain ego's boosted by the pro-EU MSM who claim that Remain 'won' the EU elections.

I think the establishment are scared of the Brexit party, the EU elections couldn't have happened at a better time. I agree we have only ever been offered pro EU choices from the LibLabCon but lets not forget UKIP, I know they are the past but without UKIP we wouldn't have had a referendum, and now we have the Brexit party. I jest not Fidget, if I were a religious man I would thank god for Nigel Farage.

• BUt that's still years away. And I doubt any new PM now would make the same mistake as May again and call a early GE.

I'm not convinced they are scared.

Neither am I now, despite my comments the other day that its almost certain that everyone would fall in line behind Boris. Many of these candidates are very pro-EU. Surely, the conservative party wouldn't elect another remainer again?:/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!