The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • reminds me of that great limerick:

Brilliant.:):thumbup:

I am 99% sure (or unwisely optimistic) that you won't hear Boris selling himself like a box of washing powder. Beneath that raffish persona is a well educated grown-up who communicates in an interesting,original and genuine manner, who will, at best, tolerate rather than ingratiate himself to a dim, obnoxious or biased interviewer.

I agree, but the bulk of his own colleagues can't stand him and its them he has to win over first, before having any chance of being crowned by the party membership.

• Too late now and sorry to hear of your problems, but you must have been using the standard VAT scheme. You could have used the VAT cash accounting system if your turnover was £1.35 million, or less.

With cash accounting you only pay/reclaim VAT on receipts and payments rather than invoices. It helps cashflow.

I'm talking about 40 years ago. In those days the inspectors insisted on VAT payments based on date of invoicing, not date of payment. A year or two later they saw sense where VAT was.paid when we got paid By then we were a brand new firm, with our vat and tax debts quashed, the old unpaid invoices transferred to our new firm (a clever liquidator) so we had a new lease of life with a better cash reserve.

• Brilliant.:):thumbup:

I agree, but the bulk of his own colleagues can't stand him and its them he has to win over first, before having any chance of being crowned by the party membership.

Does Boris have to win the bulk of his colleagues BEFORE being crowned by the party membership? What is the sequence?

1 TV interviews

2 Polls showing electoral response

3 Party membership response

4 Tory MP votes

If I'm correct om sequence, won't the Tory MP's vote in stage 4 be based on outcomes in stages 1, 2 and 3?

Since when do Tory MP's have minds or their own, let alone minds full stop?!

• True, but they're the ones in focus at the moment.

MPs vote first until there are two candidates left and then its the party membership who get to choose the new leader between the two candidates.

I should add, that despite my earlier post, Boris is in the lead according to the BBC News tonight. Currently he has 50 MPs supporting him, with Gove and Hunt on 30 each.

• But he wasn't that young and like many in the media world, their culture is drug fuelled and was a willing participant of that.

As I said, times have changed. Drugs were seen as stupid, daring, a new experience, recreational, fashionable with Jimmie Hendrix, Rolling Stones, John Lennon, etc etc and possibly harmful depending on type and frequency. Nowadays it has got unexpectedly and hopelessly out of hand.

• True, but they're the ones in focus at the moment.

MPs vote first until there are two candidates left and then its the party membership who get to choose the new leader between the two candidates.

I should add, that despite my earlier post, Boris is in the lead according to the BBC News tonight. Currently he has 50 MPs supporting him, with Gove and Hunt on 30 each.

Thanks for that quick "heads up". I do hope Boris lives up to expectation

To take a broader more optimistic view, any of these shortlisted contenders is going to be a STUPENDOUS improvement on Theresa May.

The ones I would not want to see win are precisely the ones the EU does want to see win. That they disapprove of Boris is a feather in his cap.

• Although most people just think blondie is a bumbling a-hole, I think he'd make a good maverick PM at the moment. The way Trump made a good maverick Prez. I suspect Boris might have the sort of cheek it might take to get Britain out, come hell or high water.

Unless he reneges of course, in which case public execution might be a good idea.

• Although most people just think blondie is a bumbling a-hole, I think he'd make a good maverick PM at the moment. The way Trump made a good maverick Prez. I suspect Boris might have the sort of cheek it might take to get Britain out, come hell or high water.

Unless he reneges of course, in which case public execution might be a good idea.

He is no fool, he's had the best education that money can buy and as his Dad Stanley always says (his Dad is a massive celebrity in his own right here in the UK now and a former MEP) he has had a classical eduction and that makes all the difference, well at least to Stanley.

The criticisms come from those who know him the best and who have worked with him or for him, the main one being that he is habitually lazy and is not interested in details, because details involve work.

And like Farage, I am suspicious of his Brexit credentials as well, especially when last week he seemed to be ruling out on a no-deal outcome.

• That would be Matt Hancock and Rory Stewart as the two overtly pro-EU candidates. They've both now stated that they will never allow the UK to leave the EU unless there is a deal in place.

Well, they wouldn't get my vote then (if I had one of course). We need a staunch Brexiteer, who wants to make a good deal, but is prepared to leave without one, rather than accepting a tailor made EU deal. I have heard Gove has said just this, so I believe he is the man.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• not interested in details, because details involve work.

Detail is what minions are for. I bet Trump doesn't "do" detail.

The leader needs to be charismatic and set the right tone for the government. Decide on eye-catching policies and press the flesh of visiting dignatories.

Boris ticks the boxes.

• Agree, you don't want a politician with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you want one with the ability to make people rally round an idea. And, of course, it is my belief that people secretly admire the leader who they think is not afraid to kill their enemies. They won't admit it, but it's true. Churchill got everyone through the war by being one of those. No good in peacetime but great when it came to swinging a sword. Gove doesn't look capable of saying boo to a goose. Boris looks like he'd eat the goose. I firmly believe, no matter how many will vociferously deny this, that he will eat the goose will also get the golden egg he squeezes out of it before he wrings its neck. If times are dire enough, people will vote for the goose killer to save themselves from the goose negotiator because the latter will get their necks wrung instead.

• Which reason was that, Bibbles? That your not sure what she stands for??

I'm not sure what any of them stand for now as most of these so called Brexiteers caved in to May over MV3 including Boris and Gove,

I refer you to post #52

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• I'm going to stick my neck out here and I reckon he's lost it.

I wouldn't be too sure about that:

A ComRes poll for the Daily Telegraph found that Boris is the candidate who would boost the Tories at the polls the most.

If Mr Johnson became PM, 37 per cent of voters said they would vote Tory with Labour on 22 per cent, Lib Dems 20 per cent and Nigel Farage's Brexit Party getting 14 per cent.

According to Electoral Calculus, that would give the Conservatives 395 seats - far ahead of Jeremy Corbyn's party on 151.

The Brexit Party would fail to pick up a single MP if those results came to pass.

The 140-seat majority would be the Tories' largest since Margaret Thatcher smashed Labour in 1983.

Telegraph link left for those with access.

That sort of popularity can't be ignored unless the Tories want Corbyn in #10.

• I've not seen Boris' speech in the contest to become PM, but I'm going to stick my neck out here and I reckon he's lost it. Gove has pulled a masterstroke, which doesn't mean he will win, but he may have stopped Boris again.

I'll post more on this when I can.

What gives you that impression ? , I see no sign of him having lost it at all!

The media pundits give you all the clues you need , on the BBC they cannot be vitriolic enough , I suspect auntie Fogarty will be the same later today on LBC , if so you know Boris is doing well.

• I wouldn't be too sure about that:

What gives you that impression ?

I've got to go in a sec and I won't get to see Boris' speech until tomorrow evening, but from what I gather, Boris was asked about past drug taking and he didn't really answer the question properly. Gove was "honest" and put it straight out there, once he knew the book was coming out, but Boris is ducking the question, according to reports.

I'll comment further when I've seen what's actually been said.

• I'm not keen on any of them, but the simple fact that the EU do not want Boris makes him the best candidate for me.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!