The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Talking of remainers, I caught some of Andrew Marr's show earlier and Rory Stewart was on it. He still thinks he can get May's deal through parliament, but if not, his big idea is to convene a "people's committee" selecting people from all over the country to decide the matter. So, there. Brexit is all settled if it were to fall in his hands...:rolleyes:

Rory Stewart is everywhere and getting more up my nose all the time , he did a stint this morning on LBC with Mr Farage.

• Talking of remainers, I caught some of Andrew Marr's show earlier and Rory Stewart was on it. He still thinks he can get May's deal through parliament, but if not, his big idea is to convene a "people's committee" selecting people from all over the country to decide the matter. So, there. Brexit is all settled if it were to fall in his hands... :rolleyes:

I saw it too. He is so far up his own backside he can't see straight. Why would Parliament listen to a random group of 'ordinary people chosen at random' (I'll bet my life savings it'd be as bent as everything else that MP's do!!!!!) when they willingly ignore 17.4m and the biggest democratic vote in the history of the UK.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Supposedly, they're meant to be selected experts. Experts in what, I don't know.

He said they would be chosen at random from the electoral list. I suppose 50,000 deciding our future is better than 600 (mostly) undemocratic MP's, but the problem is that the majority of those 600 MP's won't honour any result that isn't Remain. Trust in LibLabCon is rock bottom.

I still don't see why they won't honour their own promises to respect the result of the referendum. They are still looking for ways to avoid upholding democracy for the 17.4 MILLION voters who voted to Leave.

We need a GE so we can get rid of those MP's who do not respect democracy, and we need to ensure there are no fiddles or fraud during the voting. I no longer trust any government body or the MSM (especially the BBC) to be impartial or fair.

The best way I can describe the goings on, is that we have arrived in Orwells 1984.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I wish Marr had actually put that point to him, Fidget. Why does Stewart want a "people's committee" when the people already decided and voted on the matter three years ago. Quite bizarre.

Marr , like the rest of the Remainers media wants any mechanism that keeps us in the proxy EU!

• I saw it too. He is so far up his own backside he can't see straight. Why would Parliament listen to a random group of 'ordinary people chosen at random' (I'll bet my life savings it'd be as bent as everything else that MP's do!!!!!) when they willingly ignore 17.4m and the biggest democratic vote in the history of the UK.

They wouldn't, only thing they would listen to would be a remain win in any losers referendum , then it would be the word of God.

• They wouldn't, only thing they would listen to would be a remain win in any losers referendum , then it would be the word of God.

Yep. Even if it won by a single vote. They would even accept that one vote being made by a convicted criminal, who was prosecuted for lying to the court, if it meant Brexit could be stopped.

• I have to say, I really like him. What he said about the problems facing the elderly really resonated with me. If only he weren't a ardent remainer.

I'm going to duck here...8o but if it were a choice between Boris and him and I had a vote, I'd vote for Rory. I am lukewarm on Boris and that's probably putting it mildly, but if he gets us out of Europe, I'll change my mind.

Firstly, I couldn't trust a man who likes a skeleton. Secondly, he is another TM without the dance moves. We need a proper Brexiteer at the helm

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Here is quite a cutting article about Rory Stewart, with which I agree. He would just be another Theresa May, and we all know how destructive she was towards the UK.

Save us from Rory Stewart, the fakest fake Conservative

Thanks for Rory article. I think it's a very shrewd analysis of him and after yet another Rory pitch on Ch 4's debate among contestants I can see the fakery. The background article about him https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/…lory-ian-parker strengthens the accusation of fakery.

Did anyone see Ch 4's over-stage-managed debate of the contestants last night? I wrote up my impressions for another forum (who haven't yet become bored with my long-winded-ness!). If you are at all interested or trying to cure insomnia I reproduce all of it below. My take on Rory is in para 3

I think Boris Johnson was wise not to fill that empty chair. The audience was rigged and stage-managed. Krishnan Guru-Murthy gave some gobbledegook introduction about selecting floating voters who hadn’t yet decided if they would vote Conservative, which is Channel-Four-Speak for giving itself a free hand to stack the programme with a left-slanted audience or, at best, one that is dubious about voting Conservative.

The questions from the audience were banal generalities, which generated waffle from the contestants. It was obvious the questions were fed in advance to specific audience members. I realise the electorate masses have difficulty with detail but that hardly excuses all of the questions being so banal. Any attempt by a contestant to answer in a more specific way got interrupted by Krishnan Guru-Murthy. .

Rory Stewart’s plan B, of a thousand or so citizens discussing and deciding on the best way forward, to break the parliamentary logjam, was kept off the agenda by Krishnan Guru-Murthy. I’m pretty sure this was not to gag Rory Stewart but to protect him from having such a ridiculous plan torn apart by the other contestants, on the basis that all it amounted to was a quick mini referendum which gets us nowhere inasmuch that Rory's proposal is that the citizens’ recommendations would still require “consideration” in Parliament. This puts us back to square one, a re-run of Groundhog Day.

Once the panel of contestants noted audience applause when Rory Stewart defended the preciousness of our “democracy”, Dominic Raab’s proposal of proroguing Parliament if it can’t make up its mind became his handicap in the debate. No-one dared point out that the current long-standing traditional model of Parliamentary democracy is precisely what has got this country into such a terrible mess with no prospect of escaping the present social and economic chaos that lies ahead.

Rory Stewart was impressively intelligent and eloquent but his remarks reinforced the fact that he is a Remainer. I fear he is too bright, too bi-partisan, too humanitarian to function comfortably alongside most other politicians, except in the foreign office or international development, where his education and experience would stand him in good stead. But as leader, definitely not.

Dominic Raab is logical and plausible on both the big picture and the details but he has an over-analytical mechanical approach which, as a potential leader, is un-engaging

Jeremy Hunt is personable and intelligent but his plan seems to be little more than the claim that he can find the right deal that this country needs and which Parliament will accept. The EU keeps saying there is no other deal. Hunt maintains that is just an opening gambit.

As for what kind of deal Mr Hunt can get the EU to agree upon, no one has yet explained what precisely is wrong with Theresa May’s last amendment of the Chequers’ deal. The Irish backstop is a silly detail that can be patched; even the EU concedes that. If Mr Hunt can get any deal through the Parliamentary madhouse that masquerades as Democracy he’ll win the General Election. If not, he’ll probably lose his constituency in the next General Election – he’s wealthy enough – I’m sure most of his wealth is already beyond the reach of a Corbyn and McDonnell government. So he’s got nothing to lose, whereas Britain has.

What Mr Javid had to say seemed lightweight. I can’t think of anything he said which contributed to the debate to put him in contention other to seek support from those voters who wish to demonstrate their anti-racist credentials.

As for Michael Gove, I found it embarrassing. He generated the impression of being still on cocaine, even a booster dose, or an android with a short-circuiting fuse, or a cringe-making contestant on Alan Sugar’s The Apprentice, or even a throwback to contestants on Cilla Black’s Blind Date.

It’s hopeless to predict who will be the surviving contestants. Will the outcome reflect merit or the provable stupidity of the Tory party?

• Firstly, I couldn't trust a man who likes a skeleton. Secondly, he is another TM without the dance moves. We need a proper Brexiteer at the helm

We haven't see him dance yet, so who knows, perhaps he can do a moonwalk.8o

I think Boris Johnson was wise not to fill that empty chair. The audience was rigged and stage-managed. Krishnan Guru-Murthy gave some gobbledegook introduction about selectingfloating voters who hadn’t yet decided if they would vote Conservative, whichis Channel-Four-Speak for giving itself a free hand to stack the programme witha left-slanted audience or, at best, one that is dubious about votingConservative.

The questions from theaudience were banal generalities, which generated waffle from thecontestants. It was obvious thequestions were fed in advance to specific audience members. I realise the electorate masses havedifficulty with detail but that hardly excuses all of the questions being so banal. Any attempt by a contestant to answer in amore specific way got interrupted by Krishnan Guru-Murthy. .

I've only had the chance to watch the first ten minutes of it, but my impression was that it was staged managed too. The fact that the presenter wished to emphasise the privately educated status of most of the candidates, seem to suggest which way the show was going to go.

And I agree that Stewart should've been quizzed about his citizen's committee as the idea sounds barmy, which is exactly why it was left of the agenda.

• Tory leadership: Voting under way in second ballot

Tory MPs are voting again to choose a new leader as the process of deciding the UK's next prime minister continues.

The result of the second ballot of MPs is expected some time after 18:00 BST.

Any of the six remaining candidates will be eliminated from the contest if they come last or fail to secure at least 33 votes.

Tory leadership race: BBC prepares to host debate

The candidates to be Conservative Party leader - and the UK's next prime minister - are to take part in a live televised debate on BBC One later.

The programme at 20:00 BST hosted by Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis will be broadcast two hours after Tory MPs vote in the second bout of the contest.

Questions will be from the public but there will not be an audience, opening or closing statements.

With the second count under way in the leadership contest, it seems odd that the BBC is having their leadership debate tonight. They should've waited for the results, see who got knocked out, then had the debate in a few days time.

This will be the first debate that Boris will attend and it will be the first one I'll be able to watch too, so it'll be interesting if all the other candidates simply try and gang up and see if they can land some punches on Boris.

Rory Stewart, who was in bottom place, is gaining in momentum, so I suspect it will be either Javid or Raab who gets knocked out this evening.

• If they put two Remainers through, then they may as well disband the party. Ideally, it should be two Brexiters for the final vote of the members, but I doubt the MP's have enough common sense for that to happen. They appear determined to steer the party towards the iceberg.

EDIT: All the Tory Remainers are backing Stewart. It isn't coincidence. Ideally, it should be Boris and Raab in the final two, but as I say, it is unlikely to happen. The others won't even get close to delivering Brexit.

• Here is an interesting article on Boris for PM. Unfortunately, I take all press articles with a pinch of salt, but it would be good news .... if true.

Boris Johnson’s secret deal with Brexit Tories revealed –but Farage warns he won't deliver

A quick summary of the best points:

Dump May's WA

Have an orderly WTO exit

Boris must clear the swamp of Remainers, including civil servants Ollie Robbins and Mark Sedwell, and appoint Brexiter Ministers

Give constituencies the power to choose their candidates (Yay, I like that one)

Offer GATT to the EU while an FTA is hammered out, and if the EU refuse he should start an aggressive trade and tax policy.

It all makes good sense.

• Clearing out the swamp sounds especially good, starting with Robbins.:)

Hunt has said the EU leaders have told him that the Backstop can effectively be dropped, if additional measures are added to the withdrawal agreement on future relations. And of course it was the EU who originally said that these matters have to be dealt with separately...

Perhaps this whole mess might still be salvaged.

If they put two Remainers through, then they may as well disband the party. Ideally, it should be two Brexiters for the final vote of the members, but I doubt the MP's have enough common sense for that to happen. They appear determined to steer the party towards the iceberg.

EDIT: All the Tory Remainers are backing Stewart. It isn't coincidence. Ideally, it should be Boris and Raab in the final two, but as I say, it is unlikely to happen. The others won't even get close to delivering Brexit.

I think it will be Stewart and Boris in the final two, but if they do put two remainers through, I will never vote conservative again.

• Hope so Heero.

I hated him from the moment he stood in flooded west London as the then defence secretary a few years ago and said he would "consider" the request for military help, when everyone was desperate for help as their homes were getting flooded out. A smug, loathsome individual.

• Watched the result on SKY news , Beth Rigby's contempt for Boris couldn't be more obvious is she wore a "i hate Boris" T-shirt, pretty piss poor neutrality in my opinion.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!