The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I watched Andrew Neil interview. He gave both candidates quite a hard time, particularly Hunt over his persistent claim that because he had been an entrepreneur that he was the best man to get a good deal from the EU, and Boris over his claim that he had reduced crime in London.

When Neil tried to pin them down over May's WA agreement, neither stated they would bin it. Both just mentioned they want the backstop removed. That isn't good enough for the UK!

Both were very disappointing, but Boris looked the more confident of the two. I'll keep voting for any Brexit Party that is available on my ballot paper. I don't trust any of the current parties in government.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The "Theresa in trousers" comment that Neil made to Hunt, I thought probably summed him up well. Hunt looked the most comfortable in the interview and stayed calm, but over the key date of withdraw, essentially Hunt admitted that could end up being sometime next year...:cursing:

On the withdrawal agreement, yes, they're just going to do May's deal with a few changes, which is not good. Parliament could've just voted through May's deal and saved all the delay. There simply isn't time to renegotiate anyway.

Boris looked very uncomfortable. He's clearly not used to being pinned down and asked proper questions and good on Neil for keeping him under control. It looked like to me that Boris was going to punch him at one point.

Where I disagreed with Neil was when Boris was trying to explain why it wasn't important for the backstop to be dropped, he half explained that it was essentially a trap to keep us in the EU in all but name and Boris wanted to explain this fully to the viewers, but he wasn't allowed.

In summary, Hunt came across as by far the better person and Boris as too lazy (which everyone already knows anyway) and too erratic, but the one thing with Boris is, he's good at looking after his own interests. He knows that if he doesn't deliver Brexit on the 31st oct or soon afterwards, he'll be out of a job and for that reason alone, if I were voting, I would vote for Boris rather than the "Theresa in trousers." We don't want another May.

I just hope Boris appoints good minions to do all the work and try and keep him under some semblance of control, but it didn't work for Trump and I see Boris going the same way. And I don't care, as long as Brexit happens.

• Philip Hammond plans to quit if Johnson becomes PM

Philip Hammond has told the BBC he intends to resign as chancellor if Boris Johnson becomes the UK's next PM.

He said a no-deal Brexit, something Mr Johnson has left open as an option, was "not something I could ever sign up to".

I'm starting to warm to Boris becoming PM already.8)

Hammond is definitely going, another article has pictures of him packing his bags at the Treasury, so good riddance to him and other remainers like Gauke and Greg Clarke are expected to depart too.:)

• Boris Johnson is set for No10 this week – but who will be in his top team?

IDS is already being lined up as Deputy PM, according to some articles, David Davies may be back as Foreign Secretary, Rees-Mogg may be going into the treasury and different names have been put forward for the Brexit Secretary, personally I hope it's Steve Baker, but I'd be quite happy for Raab to come back too. Would Boris have Gove back??

So, we will get some new (or old) faces in the Cabinet, who should they be?

• I hope they all find themselves unemployed after the next GE.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• They're only stepping down a few hours before he becomes PM anyway, so its a face saving measure on their part.

I don't know if I will be able to watch events over the next few days, but I would like to see May's final PMQs on Wednesday, to see what kind of farewell her own side gives her and then Boris' coronation is a few hours later and I would assume that would be carried live on the news channels and possibly BBC One too.

Boris has a lot on his plate now and I hope he does get the right team behind him.

• I wonder if May will celebrate the fact that the biggest number of resignations have occurred during her short tenure, and her Remainer pals are adding to the tally. :)

• how the hell have we allowed such arseholes into positions of authority?

Because the party chose them, and then foisted them upon the unsuspecting public, possibly?

We need three changes and all are urgent, due to the undemocratic antics of MP's:

1. The party members of constituencies should be allowed to choose their own candidates

2. The above referenced should also be able to request a by-election if their representative lies to them, or commits some other breach of trust

3. Any MP who changes political party should AUTOMATICALLY trigger a by-election. If they have been good representatives and the constituents don't mind the change of party, then they will get re-elected.

• Especially agree with that last one Fidget

Some of Anna Soubry's colleagues like Philip Lee may defect to the Lib Dems this week. As he got deselected from his local party last month, any defection should trigger an automatic by election. If we have no election soon, then the area he represents is represented by a MP who is wholly against the wishes of the majority in his area.

What an absolute shit house Duncan is , how the hell have we allowed such arseholes into positions of authority?

He resigned today so he got loads of publicity and we must remember that a certain proportion of politicians are pure attention seekers and will lap up as much as they can get.

• More importantly he has an almost 2/3 majority which will give him the authority to face down his detractors.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!