The next prime minister will be...

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I see now that the awful news has sunk in, the nasty commentary has begun in the media. It was getting there yesterday but now it's going all the way to fever pitch. They must be hard pressed between trashing Trump and Boris now. Stupid, juvenile clowns that they are.

Well done to blondie, though. Hope he kicks arse.

• Negativity already underway , some prick from a remainer rag called the European? already saying this was not a good result on talkradio and auntie fogarty on LBC almost in tears , 2/3 majority really sucks does'nt it!^^

• I hope he just tells the EU that their WA is completely unacceptable, and as they are unwilling to change it AND also unwilling to discuss trade before we leave, then they have given him no alternative but a WTO exit.

I doubt it will happen, but I can dream. :)

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Boris Johnson wins race to be Tory leader and PM

Boris Johnson has been elected new Conservative leader in a ballot of party members and will become the next UK prime minister.

He beat Jeremy Hunt comfortably, winning 92,153 votes to his rival's 46,656.

The former London mayor takes over from Theresa May on Wednesday.

In case no one saw it, his speech in full to the party is here and it was pretty good:

boris-johnson-speech-in-full

• Boris has won!

I like that you, all the way down there in SA, should be the first to announce such exciting new tidings

God knows we need someone who can bring gaiety to the nation and somehow rise above the doom, gloom and snide-ness of the media, who would make no exception even for the Second Coming.

• I hope he just tells the EU that their WA is completely unacceptable, and as they are unwilling to change it AND also unwilling to discuss trade before we leave, then they have given him no alternative but a WTO exit.

I doubt it will happen, but I can dream. :)

IDS was saying the agreement is dead, but that's not what Boris said during the debates and hustings. He will make a speech on Brexit on Thursday, so we await what he says.

Either the real negotiations start this week, or they end. I doubt there will be much middle ground on either side.

• I see now that the awful news has sunk in, the nasty commentary has begun in the media. It was getting there yesterday but now it's going all the way to fever pitch. They must be hard pressed between trashing Trump and Boris now. Stupid, juvenile clowns that they are.

Well done to blondie, though. Hope he kicks arse.

We'll see what he does LW. He makes good speeches, but now he's got to walk the walk.

• I've just read that Steve Bray, the Soros funded guy (allegedly) outside Parliament who ruins the news by constantly shouting anti-Brexit comments has been banned from College Green and told he will be arrested if he returns within 3 months. :)

Some common sense may be being applied at long last.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The proof of whether Boris has what it takes will be shown by how quickly he can get Brexit done and dusted and that has to be sooner rather than wait until the October deadline, because we all know what happens to deadlines they just get moved.

• Is that the one we see on tv everyday shouting through his megaphone?

I always wondering how someone could afford to camp out there everyday.

This twat was on with Piers Morgan last week , he was/is a rare coin dealer so probably does a lot of work at night or weekends , good news all the same as I detest the arse.

• The loudhailer guy could be heard in the News this morning, as they interviewed two Remainers (as normal). Either the news that he has been banned is fake, or he has moved out of College Green to continue his anti-Brexit antics, but still in earshot.

The papers and TV are full of anti-Brexit and anti-Boris crap this morning. I guess this will go on for quite some time.

• So, who do we reckon will be in Boris's Cabinet?

Priti Patel is being lined up as a possible Home Secretary and Liz Truss as Chancellor. Would be a dream if Steve Baker became Brexit Secretary.:)

The loudhailer guy could be heard in the News this morning, as they interviewed two Remainers (as normal). Either the news that he has been banned is fake, or he has moved out of College Green to continue his anti-Brexit antics, but still in earshot.

Not this bloke, but there have been similar incidents in the past with nuts who seem to do this sort of thing and it's been ruled that it's democratic and they can do what they want.

He seriously needs to get a life.

According to SKY news (biased towards remain) , Jeremy Hunt has turned down defence secretary , only a top 4 job will do apparently, oh well!

Hope so. It's a clever way of getting rid of him.

• Steve Bray was shown on BBC news with his loudhailer, but he was outside the barriers around College Green. It's time to rip those EU flags down from outside Parliament too and replace them with Union flags.

• re loudhailer guy:

There is a difference between free speech and public disturbance but the authorities are frightened to decide where to draw the line. The labels of Free Speech, Democracy and Political Correctness have become meaningless absolutes, with no upper limit.

I remember as a kid when on a Sunday morning my father took me to Hyde Park Speaker's Corner (just across from Marble Arch). There were loads of speakers on their individual "soap boxes", each attracting a listening, commenting and interrupting crowd, and these clusters never drowned out the adjacent clusters. There were some lively heated exchanges but it didn't overheat and although there was a scattering of Dixon of Dock Green bobbies I don't recall any riots or disturbances or police interventions. The social class profile was quite varied, from cloth caps to trilbies, yet all with a common interest in exchanging, voicing or arguing their thoughts. They would read thought-provoking news stories or leader comments in either The Times, Telegraph, Express, News of the World or Mirror rather than fake news and sensation-seeking character assassinations (all of this was prior to TV's dumbing down of news and comment . The equivalent of speaker's corner attendees of yesteryear are today practically a lost tribe, occasionally spotted among London Taxi Drivers, the older ones in black cabs ...... The Last of the Mohicans.

Back then, even the politicians were interesting, some even colourful rather than today's deadhead cardboard cutouts or nodding dogs in a car rear window. No one back then said "let me be perfectly clear" or "there are lessons to be learned".

There is an obvious correlation between the quality of the population and the quality of those who seek to become their elected representatives. Once in a while an elected representative somehow escapes through the voter gauntlet of mediocrity and I keep hoping that such an MP will prove to be not merely the proverbial exception to the rule but instead the beginning of a new rule. That's what I'm hoping for with Boris Johnson.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!