Prince Charles gets the official plane. May has to go charter...

• Theresa May had to charter a plane for her recent trip to the Middle East as Prince Charles had booked the official Royal Air Force jet, it has emerged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39510024
    ====

Ok, this story made me chuckle, sort of...

And before I say any more, I should say that I have republican leanings of the diet coke variety! Meaning that I don't have strong feelings either way, but I would prefer that once the Queen dies, the country took a different direction away from the royal family.

Back to the story, Charlie had already booked the official plane for his "business" around Europe. Theresa May, who is this country's prime minister, had to book a charter flight for her business in the Middle East.

Now, call me anti-royalist if you like, but shouldn't the business of this country's prime minister trump that of a prince? Why couldn't he go the charter route instead, regardless of who booked first?

• I suppse they could, but there is no way in hell they would ever pay for it. It would be on the tab of the Great British public, if they had their own plane.

I find it absurd that Charles gets to do his "official" business and that takes priority over that of the PM.

There used to be a series of stories run by the Daily Mail on this just to wind us up in middle England. They pretty much focussed on "Handy Andy" and his trips to the Middle East all funded by the taxpayer and using the official plane. Supposedly, he was on "official" business to promote Britain, but the bulk of his time was spent doing deals with the various sheiks and enriching himself instead.

• Yes, which is why, considering the huge wealth of the Royal Family, I don't see why they don't have their own executive jet.

Using tax payers' funds to hold up this bunch is outdated. (I sound like my grandfather.) :D

• Yes, which is why, considering the huge wealth of the Royal Family, I don't see why they don't have their own executive jet.

Using tax payers' funds to hold up this bunch is outdated. (I sound like my grandfather.) :D

The British royal family is financed mainly by the hereditary revenues of the Crown.[1] The British Parliament uses a percentage of the Crown Estate, a part of the Crown's hereditary revenues belonging to the sovereign that is placed at the disposal of the House of Commons, to meet the costs of the sovereign's official expenditures.[1][2] This includes the costs of the upkeep of the various royal residences, staffing, travel and state visits, public engagements, and official entertainment. [3] The Keeper of the Privy Purse is Head of the Privy Purse and Treasurer's Office and has overall responsibility for the management of the sovereign's financial affairs.

Royal finance wiki

You might like to read the Wiki on this. AFAIK the revenue from the crown estates far out weighs the amount "given" back in the civil list.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Royal finance wiki

You might like to read the Wiki on this. AFAIK the revenue from the crown estates far out weighs the amount "given" back in the civil list.

But, but, but....

Should the Crown estates belong to the Crown? It is in effect a property company that pays no tax. They even rent land to the MoD!! It should belong to the bloody country to begin with, not the royal family who got so much land by stealing and pilfering generations of royals upon the people.

• Yes. They changed to Windsor after the little altercation. They are a sort of EU/Commonwealth oriented dynasty, really, with connections in Belgium.

Bowing and curtsying and calling them "Your Majesty" and "Your Highness" is just nauseating.