Recent changes on the VM Network

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Thanks JJ20X. Amazed VM are allowing SD versions, assuming the assumption is correct that these 4 are basically 2 with different resolutions as the naming suggests.

Assuming it's the "new" Sky channels they may just be making an exception for them due their size as a supplier.

• I expect some of the minor channels to close as advertising drys up. What's the point in advertising a closed business? Some small businesses also say they will run out of funds within two to three weeks.

I suppose only the likes of Netflix will want to advertise to keep peopke occupied at home and it doesn't require anyone coming into the home to install it.

Sky & VM may also suspend installations (I know a guy who works for Openreach and he says that The Communications Union is pushing for only outside work to be carried out until further notice).

Ironically, as people self isolate, I expect that viewing figures will shoot up!

Amol Rajan (BBC media editor) said on the news today that viewing figures are indeed up, but that ad revenue is down.

• And of course they''re not new, if its existing channels like History and Love Nature getting a rebrand.

Quite. Though Sky Documentaries isn't an obvious rebrand, though maybe that launch will coincide with a closure. Maybe Sky2, as it has poor ratings and no identity.

I'm keeping open-minded, it may be a surprise, and maybe nothing Sky related.

• Quite. Though Sky Documentaries isn't an obvious rebrand, though maybe that launch will coincide with a closure. Maybe Sky2, as it has poor ratings and no identity.

I'm keeping open-minded, it may be a surprise, and maybe nothing Sky related.

A bit unlikely with those flags. ;)

• Further details:

As far as NIT services go, Box Upfront and ZooMoo HD moved to their new placeholder slots. The new channels hadn't been added to the NIT yesterday. SID 1802 HZNFATST was added to a 3rd internal / test network: VM Hammersmith.

• The overnight scan log shows that the new channels have been added to internal / test networks - TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE) & Code Download Test (Portsmouth). The EIT (EPG) data is currently populated with "Coming soon".

• Overnight SID 3202 Sky Superheroes HD transformed into Sky Animation HD.

Some regions had level 1 NIT Linkage (Tivo download) updates with level 3 updates for TTA Knowsley DMC (Hayes_RHE).

• I wonder if non essential changes will be now be suspended due to the announcement that we are now in a National Emergency?

They might not have enough staff, won't want to do anything that might affect the network and will want to concentrate on keeping core services going.

Also, the scanners might not be able to continue (unless they work from home).

• Also, the scanners might not be able to continue (unless they work from home).

Let's say that things have certainly changed. Industry based data is pretty much non-existent now and I think it's safe to say that any plans to provide more DTT data following the DTT frequency change rollout have been scrapped. As far as cable is concerned, there are some residential scanners. Unfortunately, with the significant amount of changes pushed through by the analysts in recent weeks, there is a very real problem dealing with the backlog as individuals have to deal with new priorities.

As far as I know, last night's data hasn't been processed at all, if any was actually taken.

For March 23rd:

SID 3003 Sky Monsters HD reverted to Sky SciFi & Hor HD

SID 3202 Sky Animation HD became Sky Superheroes HD

Turner & Viacom kids genre channels entered a free to view period with SDT conditional access channel section getting the override flag.

The SD channels had pack codes added for M/Player & More.

The HD channels had pack codes added for the HD versions of M/Player, More, Mix, M+ & L/Fun.

The Kids Tier Service ID had pack codes added for L/Fun & XL/Full House - it isn't a channel, so the significance of this change is uncertain.

Edited 2 times, last by jj20x (March 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM).

• Hayu have emailed their customers to say that they will be leaving Virgin Media on 6/4/20.

This service was provided at no cost to Full House subscribers - I wonder if Virgin will replace Hayu with Disney + at no extra charge for top end viewers? That would certainly be an excellent selling point.

In this week's Radio Times they are making a big deal over the fact that Disney + will be 'integrated' on the Sky platform and that Virgin viewers will lose out as a result of this exclusive deal.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand…k-virgin-media/

To my mind, if Virgin provide this as an app at no extra charge for premium viewers and we can search/bookmark programmes for display in 'My Shows', that is a good selling point for Virgin and is all that's required.

• This service was provided at no cost to Full House subscribers - I wonder if Virgin will replace Hayu with Disney + at no extra charge for top end viewers? That would certainly be an excellent selling point.

In this week's Radio Times they are making a big deal over the fact that Disney + will be 'integrated' on the Sky platform and that Virgin viewers will lose out as a result of this exclusive deal.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand…k-virgin-media/

To my mind, if Virgin provide this as an app at no extra charge for premium viewers and we can search/bookmark programmes for display in 'My Shows', that is a good selling point for Virgin and is all that's required.

Your final paragraph is pretty much my idea of integration.

• No changes for March 25th.

So, nothing since Saturday then. Perhaps they have indeed suspended any changes due to the pandemic?? Have you ever known them not to do any changes for days on end outside a holiday before? I suppose they might not do anything over Christmas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!