Recent changes on the VM Network

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Friday's late scan showed the FTV channel code override flag had been removed from:

SID 102 EPG 997 Get Moving

SID 38901 EPG 989 Top Left 4KTV test

SID 38902 EPG 988 Bot Left 4KTV test

The other leg of the conditional access changes noted overnight.

Also, further changes to the active hours of SID 1302 EPG 100 Virgin TV Highlights and the usual weekend NIT Linkage changes.

Scans will continue to be taken over the weekend, further reports probably won't be available until Monday, as data is brought up to date with the latest scanner's analysis code base.

• Perhaps they are testing the UHD content from Sky, which should be arriving shortly under the carriage deal agreed between VM and Sky last year.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when JJ20X said they were 1/4 screen UHD in HD, I interpreted that as it wasn't full resolution, like it was to use in a mini-screen area in an user interface, like the one in the top right currently, but bigger since it says quarter screen.

I'd speculate it was just a test for user interface option they haven't yet implemented, or decided not to. Maybe Horizon OS related from early trials? Though JJ20X made it sound much older than that, like from back when UHD was introduced on VM.

• Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when JJ20X said they were 1/4 screen UHD in HD, I interpreted that as it wasn't full resolution, like it was to use in a mini-screen area in an user interface, like the one in the top right currently, but bigger since it says quarter screen.

I'd speculate it was just a test for user interface option they haven't yet implemented, or decided not to. Maybe Horizon OS related from early trials? Though JJ20X made it sound much older than that, like from back when UHD was introduced on VM.

Pre HEVC - it was probably a way of sending 1/4 video across 4 HD streams and then somehow stitching them together in the box. It would be interesting to see how that would work as individual video streams would have slightly different encoding / decoding lag.

• Perhaps they are testing the UHD content from Sky, which should be arriving shortly under the carriage deal agreed between VM and Sky last year.

It doesn't look like they are testing anything, the services don't exist in individual network NIT tables, so it won't appear on any network. In fact, looking at the frequency map, TSID 389 which would carry these services isn't assigned to any network.

Just a case of VM updating SDT data for a service that, seemingly, no longer exists.

• Scans will continue to be taken over the weekend, further reports probably won't be available until Monday, as data is brought up to date with the latest scanner's analysis code base.

The code base was streamlined this morning with dual redundancy removed and data has now been brought up to date. A test run will take place and then the scanner's analysis will be available to the analysts from tonight.

Saturday's scan data was run through the temporary database with no changes recorded.

• I was quite surprised at the reactions to this post, with comments focussing on the old 4KTV tests but nothing about the test on SID 2130.

According to the scanners, it is carrying a feed of Virgin Media One most of the time, sometimes a black screen. Always with a banner indicating that the feed is from VM Dublin and displaying a time elapsed counter in the middle of the screen. No obvious indications of what this is for or why it is there.

• I was quite surprised at the reactions to this post, with comments focussing on the old 4KTV tests but nothing about the test on SID 2130.

According to the scanners, it is carrying a feed of Virgin Media One most of the time, sometimes a black screen. Always with a banner indicating that the feed is from VM Dublin and displaying a time elapsed counter in the middle of the screen. No obvious indications of what this is for or why it is there.

I missed that one. I assume it must be being used as a test for some other purpose as I doubt that they could show Virgin Media One over here. Also, after the merger, won't VM UK & VM Ireland be under different ownership?

• I missed that one. I assume it must be being used as a test for some other purpose as I doubt that they could show Virgin Media One over here. Also, after the merger, won't VM UK & VM Ireland be under different ownership?

I'm a bit surprised there is a Dublin feed on there at all. I doubt that the purpose is to bring Virgin Media One to the UK, it has too much ITV content and they won't have UK rights for any of that. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things change with the joint venture, but this is now not then. Maybe something is about to happen in Ireland and Dublin will be providing coverage for the UK, I've no idea.

You didn't say what was broadcasting on it, so we probably all assumed it was because VM were switching to a Free Showcase like they often do and are doing this weekend for MTV and History content, as advertised.

• You didn't say what was broadcasting on it, so we probably all assumed it was because VM were switching to a Free Showcase like they often do and are doing this weekend for MTV and History content, as advertised.

"The raw data scanners have observed a test from VM Dublin on SID 2130"

Usually that sort of thing is picked up overnight and Virgin Media One doesn't seem to broadcast much between 2am and 6am, so it probably wasn't picked up that it was the feed. Raw cable scans are somewhat irregular at the moment as extra satellite scans are being done to cover for the sites not currently operational.

Showcase content switched in from other channels uses the TuneAway HD Hidden service - SID 1403.

The Dublin feed wasn't picked up on the usual scans - it does not appear in the SI tables.

Edited 2 times, last by jj20x (July 31, 2020 at 4:19 PM).

• Monday's scan analysis was delayed by a massive code and data cull to the database. The analysis should run a little more smoothly now. Extracted network names and service names are no longer read back into the scan data table but made directly available to reports, cutting out one of the processing runs.

Rebrands:

SID 409 changed from MTV Pride to MTV OMG on channel 318

SID 1702 changed from Sky Tom Hanks HD (TomHanksHD) to StarWarsHD (Star Wars) on channel 402

Subscription packs:

SID 316 Sky Comedy moved from the drama add-on tier to the entertainment add-on tier. Interesting that it was in drama and not entertainment from the start...

Active hours:

Another change for SID 1302 Virgin TV Highlights on channel 100

SDT Linkage:

SID 1302 Virgin TV Highlights on channel 100 had the SDT Linkage service changed from SID 1403 TuneAway HD Hidden to SID 102 Get Moving

Edited once, last by jj20x (June 30, 2020 at 2:12 AM).

• Overnight changes:

Manchester headend (and yes, I do know it isn't called that) regions Manchester 1 / 2 / 3, Stoke and Wrexham had NIT CDS (frequency) changes - that should mess things up for the regular users of DBR. As with other recent changes, the VOD transport streams were reduced to 2. The extra frequency needed in Manchester for the Wrexham regionals has moved into the region adjacent to VOD - so out of the cleared frequency block.

SIDs 2102 and 2104 Virgin TV Ultra HD had Active Hours and SDT Linkage segments added. Active hours being 17:30:00-00:00:01 UTC or 6.30 pm to 1 am BST. The SDT Linkage redirection outside of those hours is SID 2101 Channel Off Air Slate.

• I'm a bit surprised there is a Dublin feed on there at all. I doubt that the purpose is to bring Virgin Media One to the UK, it has too much ITV content and they won't have UK rights for any of that. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things change with the joint venture, but this is now not then. Maybe something is about to happen in Ireland and Dublin will be providing coverage for the UK, I've no idea.

Or, just VM masking what they're really about to do. We've already had their "nosy parker" slate, so this could be just their latest subterfuge.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!