Recent changes on the VM Network

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't know anyone who had one of those, so I've not seen one "in the flesh". It's not something I really thought about but, probably because it is vaguely Tivo-like in appearance, I guess I presumed it used a Tivo like interface but without PVR functionality.

The firmware support streams are for Tivo BL (Samsung and Cisco) - which is presumably related to the V6. Samsung 7100 and Cisco 8685 which are legacy Tivo boxes. Samsung 3110 (the V+ box) - configured for some internal and TRIALS networks only and SA 4585 (the V HD). Only the legacy Tivo configs are being updated and the lack of Samsung 3110 configs on customer networks indicates that they have all gone. I've no idea why the configs are retained on the internal networks.

So, the SA 4585 actually appears to be the last vestige of the old Liberate firmware. A shame it has to be removed, non-PVRs can last for decades. At least most of, what DBR describes as ghost PIDs, and which are actually firmware support (javascript) data streams, can now be removed from the system. I kinda thought VM was hanging on the them because they like hanging on to old clutter. :P

However, there will definitely still be those customers who just want a plain old TV box and don't need any of this newfangled recording stuff.

Edited 2 times, last by jj20x (July 4, 2020 at 1:28 AM).

• I can't remember where I saw it, but I think I saw someone say recently that VM would be cutting old boxes back to just PSB channels to force the final holdouts to upgrade. So that would certainly explain this mass hide-flag addition.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/A…-5/td-p/4315559

Looks like you're right and this change is now in effect. Stupid time to do it with the Covid 19 fallout and posts on their own forum saying it's taking two hours plus before staff answer the phone.

Still, VM and common sense don't often see eye to eye ?

• I don't know anyone who had one of those, so I've not seen one "in the flesh". It's not something I really thought about but, probably because it is vaguely Tivo-like in appearance, I guess I presumed it used a Tivo like interface but without PVR functionality.

I think my neighbour has (or had) one.

I vaguely recall talk years ago that VM implied that the V HD could be upgraded to Tivo software, with the recording aspect disabled naturally, but either that was bull or they deemed the hassle not worth it.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/A…-5/td-p/4315559

Looks like you're right and this change is now in effect. Stupid time to do it with the Covid 19 fallout and posts on their own forum saying it's taking two hours plus before staff answer the phone.

Still, VM and common sense don't often see eye to eye ?

They've been trying to nudge customers onto newer boxes for a few years now. The timing of the end of this process would have been unforeseen, and the number of those affected is probably so low they didn't see any reason to stop. The boxes are fairly straightforward to self-install, so they can avoid engineer visits in many cases.

• It is MPEG2 because the "Welcome" channel is usually static video, so no advantage in using MPEG4. Presumably the carriage of Get Moving is a temporary thing. The feedback from the scanners is that there has been activity on SID 1306 for the last couple of days but it hasn't been monitored or captured. Apparently it is carrying the Virgin TV UHD out of hours loop in HD overnight but in 1920x1080i HD. I guess this needs monitoring, if we can find anyone with enough time to monitor it.

• They've been trying to nudge customers onto newer boxes for a few years now. The timing of the end of this process would have been unforeseen, and the number of those affected is probably so low they didn't see any reason to stop. The boxes are fairly straightforward to self-install, so they can avoid engineer visits in many cases.

I don't know about unforeseen. I've been sent a dump of the javascript which the firmware used to display the update alerts. Over the last few months they have been prompted that these are older boxes and no longer support all VM services. An announcement that BT Sport channels would not be available on the box from 9th December 2019, offering a replacement Tivo. Another announcement that Sky Sports would no longer be unavailable from 1st August, offering an upgrade.

More recently:

This is an older type of Virgin Media box and we need to

upgrade it. Don't worry, it's totally free with no catches!

Simply give us a call on 0345 454 1111 to place your order.

And

This is one of our older boxes which will not be supported from

1st July and only basic channels will remain.

Don't worry, you are entitled to a free upgrade to our latest

box, the V6. Just visit http://virginmedia.com/offers/V6swap

or call us on 0345 454 1111 to book your upgrade.

• This is quite interesting on the update url:

V6 Swap: Available to the addressed recipient only, via the link provided. Ends 11.59pm on 30th June 2020. We are upgrading your current TV box for a new V6, for free.

Ends 11.59pm on 30th June 2020. - oops!

• This is one of our older boxes which will not be supported from

1st July and only basic channels will remain.

Don't worry, you are entitled to a free upgrade to our latest

box, the V6. Just visit http://virginmedia.com/offers/V6swap

or call us on 0345 454 1111 to book your upgrade.

This was essentially the offer we had ( and took )

• You misunderstood who and what I was referring to JJ20X.

I meant VM couldn't have seen Covid19 coming when they started this process well over a year ago.

I'm well aware of the on-screen messages they've been using, I've heard about them for many months from people on forums.

I meant VM couldn't have seen Covid19 coming when they started this process well over a year ago.

I'm well aware of the on-screen messages they've been using, I've heard about them for many months from people on forums.

I didn't post the on screen messages just for your information. I had been sent the javascript hex dump file before you posted.

I get what you mean about the Covid-19 timing but, as VM have been removing services from Liberate middleware boxes for quite some time, the situation wasn't really unforeseen for the customer.

• I think VM is not so interested in those subscribers on the basic packages. They want to concentrate on the high-end customers now.

Many of whom will be cutting the cord and going to streaming only services. In difficult times they need to be careful who they annoy.

People hanging onto old equipment bring in a guaranteed revenue stream, often priced above the level offered to users of newer kit.

• Many of whom will be cutting the cord and going to streaming only services. In difficult times they need to be careful who they annoy.

People hanging onto old equipment bring in a guaranteed revenue stream, often priced above the level offered to users of newer kit.

Quite. :) Much like those that are still on the same electricity and gas providers since the Beginning of Time.

I didn't post the on screen messages just for your information. I had been sent the javascript hex dump file before you posted.

I get what you mean about the Covid-19 timing but, as VM have been removing services from Liberate middleware boxes for quite some time, the situation wasn't really unforeseen for the customer.

I realise that. Much appreciated, I'd not seen the wording anyway, just people paraphrasing it. :)

I wasn't talking about the customer when I used the word "unforeseen", and I thought it was obvious in the context at the time I posted it. But clearly I was wrong.^^

I said what you said re: the customer having plenty warning on another forum earlier as it happens.

No, but many other companies have sensibly amended their plans in response to Covid 19. For exampe, some people may have been worried about being infected from new equipment coming into their home.

I'm currently being shielded and there's no way that i'd risk my life for the sake of a new STB!

• No, but many other companies have sensibly amended their plans in response to Covid 19. For exampe, some people may have been worried about being infected from new equipment coming into their home.

I'm currently being shielded and there's no way that i'd risk my life for the sake of a new STB!

VM aren't immune to taking current circumstances into consideration...just recently they postponed closing Mobile PAYG, people only found out as they accidentally published a webpage with broken links (though I'm still not clear how they found it as there were no links to it I could see).

• And also whether legacy boxes are compatible with Horizon too, to factor in.

VM have only mentioned the V6 in this context, and the original VM Tivo is too slow running old software...so they'd be silly to even try. They need a box with a built-in modem in my opinion though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!