Recent changes on the VM Network

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Just been reading that Vice and Horse & Country are to close on VM. That's two more of the extra channels that VM said would stay after the UKTV carriage dispute was settled.

IIRC, I think that jj20x predicted that, despite what they said, they would probably quietly drop them.

• It's coming up for two years since the UKTV thing. You can't expect them all to stay forever.

I like Vice UK for the animé on late at night, but I'm not surprised that it may be going.

• It's coming up for two years since the UKTV thing. You can't expect them all to stay forever.

I like Vice UK for the animé on late at night, but I'm not surprised that it may be going.

No real surprise that they are being removed after a couple of years, it was all a ploy to add a lot of, not very compelling, content to distract from the UKTV dispute.

• Some Vice UK content is available via the All4 app anyway. I haven't checked the VM TV version of the app but it is on the mobile one. Sadly Vice section doesn't include the animé... though All4 does have different animé.

• There were no NIT CDS changes noted for the ex-Telewest networks in Scotland.

Wednesday's scan shows that there have been frequency changes to the ex-Telewest networks in Scotland. It is possible that these happened on Tuesday as the Tuesday scan was taken earlier than normal.

Ex-Telewest networks recently changed (and following normal mapping patterns) now have a band of 8 frequencies. The lowest 2 frequencies being transport streams cleared of VOD adjacent to the DOCSIS bands. The following 6 frequencies contain the mothballed TSIDs 31-34, with either the first or last 2 frequencies being used for VOD. - The earlier changes using the lower 2 frequencies for VOD, the more recent changes using the higher 2 frequencies for VOD (the same modified VOD allocation as the ex-C&W networks).

Other changes were to the SDT root:

SID 1101 Challenge +1 (placeholder) changing from unencrypted to encrypted. - erm...

SID 1805 BT Sport HD 1 (placeholder) and SID 2107 InternalF changing from encrypted to unencrypted.

• So is 'Get Moving' now in HD?

It is. The original stream is still present apparently, maybe to switch back to the Welcome channel at some point. However, it's not unusual for VM to leave stuff behind (such as some of the old ITV SD regions on TSID 102 after they moved to TSID 101).

Well, VM said that they were here to stay. AFAIK, Vice is to remain on Sky and it was clearly only a two year carriage contract (in my experience these are usually longer than two years, three at a minimum), so I think that jj was correct in his prediction.

• Well, VM said that they were here to stay. AFAIK, Vice is to remain on Sky and it was clearly only a two year carriage contract (in my experience these are usually longer than two years, three at a minimum), so I think that jj was correct in his prediction.

And maybe two years because the companies wouldn't let VM have a one year contract...

• Well, VM said that they were here to stay. AFAIK, Vice is to remain on Sky and it was clearly only a two year carriage contract (in my experience these are usually longer than two years, three at a minimum), so I think that jj was correct in his prediction.

All that means is it wasn't going to disappear the moment the dispute resolved, and it didn't. No channel is guaranteed to stay, the closest to guaranteed are the 5 PSBs because they are PSBs and obligated to be available in exchange for guaranteed prominence.

• Thursday's scan shows NIT CDS (frequency) changes for Watford, Portsmouth, Portsmouth TRIALS, and Code Download Test (Portsmouth) - following the usual ex-C&W pattern of clearing active transport streams from and moving mothballed TSIDs 31-34 in to the four frequencies sandwiched between the two DOCSIS frequency clusters on the ex-C&W networks. Once again, VOD transport streams were reduced to 2 and using the same frequencies as other recent ex-C&W changes.

In other news, in the SDT root, SID 610 ETS10 changed flags from unencrypted to encrypted and on TSID 102 Channel 4 +1 and ITV +1 timeshifts. ITV (out of area) regions, TG4, and Channel4HD regions changed flags from encrypted to unencrypted. We don't usually pay too much attention to these flags. The scanner's log for elementary streams shows that these services were still encrypted at the time of the scan (which is, basically, why we don't pay too much attention to the SDT root flags).

• In other news, in the SDT root, SID 610 ETS10 changed flags from unencrypted to encrypted and on TSID 102 Channel 4 +1 and ITV +1 timeshifts. ITV (out of area) regions, TG4, and Channel4HD regions changed flags from encrypted to unencrypted. We don't usually pay too much attention to these flags. The scanner's log for elementary streams shows that these services were still encrypted at the time of the scan (which is, basically, why we don't pay too much attention to the SDT root flags).

The latest scan shows that the TSID 102 SDT root flags which had changed to unencrypted on Thursday's scan have subsequently reverted to encrypted.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!