Recent changes on the VM Network

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Media Boy says that DBR is reporting that Virgin are testing a new stream called CO88 and that it is carrying seven unknown channels.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C0…ive=209&lang=en

Could these be the new Sky UHD channels?

Well, jj20 might be able to shed some light on that. I have no idea, but I do think that Sky UHD will come in August.

What interests me even more is whether the additional programmes promised will include Sky Atlantic stuff. No reason why not. BT have been given Now TV which includes that, and Sky themselves have said it will be available on all major platforms in 2020.

I'm not forecasting anything. Just sayin'...

(But you know I'm right!)

• I'm a bit confused Old Boy, you seem to be reading something other than what I wrote (I'm writing this having had beer, so please excuse it may be impairing my interpretation here). At no point did I say you shouldn't start a new thread for that aim. I know this thread is very techie and I agree with you. I simply said the title you gave your new thread made it sound like it had the same content as this thread, and obviously it doesn't. :)

• Channel 88 (810750 khz in Manchester) is outside the usual range of frequencies used on that headend. The spurious data there will, possibly, be noise. Maybe DBR should have a look at their setup.

Those frequencies are only used in Carlisle & Eurobell SE (Crawley). Eurobell SW used to extend that far up the range but, in recent times has moved tv transport streams to lower frequencies (although mothballed TSIDs 31-34 have been dumped in that range on Exeter/Plymouth).

The DBR data looks odd, for the moment, I'll go with the noise theory.

Edited 2 times, last by jj20x (August 2, 2020 at 12:29 AM).

• Well, it can't contain 'recent' for a start. No, cheekyangus, we need a thread to consider what might happen, rather than what has happened. Additionally, most people don't understand all these scanning reports, which are gobbledegook to most of us, including me, and and I'm not sure about what these reports are actually telling us, to be perfectly honest. This is a thread for geeks, and I'm not meaning to be disrespectful, I love geeks!

I am not attempting to demean anything that you and jj are trying to do on this thread, but I do think we need in addition a more understandable thread free of technical jargon that people can understand. I am not looking to replace anything that you guys are doing. I am sure this thread has a very loyal following.

I'm happy for speculation based on gaps in the EPG data to be handled in another thread. ;)

• I'm a bit confused Old Boy, you seem to be reading something other than what I wrote (I'm writing this having had beer, so please excuse it may be impairing my interpretation here). At no point did I say you shouldn't start a new thread for that aim. I know this thread is very techie and I agree with you. I simply said the title you gave your new thread made it sound like it had the same content as this thread, and obviously it doesn't. :)

Sorry for any confusion! I was just responding to your post 2037. Apologies if I have confused the issue.

• Changes made during Friday:

SID 1106 Sony Channel +1 - showing closure slate - EPG Flags added: End of Service & Placeholder

SID 2130 Project2 - Conditional Access flag in the SDT root changed to "encrypted"

• Usually weekend changes are just rebrands or changes to active hours, things that can be automated.

Speaking of rebrands...

Monday's changes:

SID 1702 Sky Harry Potter HD (HarryPotHD) becomes Sky Star Wars HD (StarWarsHD) on EPG/channel 402.

SID 3004 Sky Greats HD (GreatsHD) becomes Sky Villains HD (VillainsHD) on EPG/channel 404.

• If they must do at all, then Sky should just have one channel where they do all the rebrands and leave the others alone.

Or better still, none at all.

Select & Greats are the "main" rebrand channels, Select being EPG 402 - I say that because 402 rarely uses the "Select" name nowadays, it switches from one rebrand to the next.

• Or better still, none at all.

Select & Greats are the "main" rebrand channels, Select being EPG 402 - I say that because 402 rarely uses the "Select" name nowadays, it switches from one rebrand to the next.

It's actually pointless, really. Does Sky really think that people select what they want to watch according to the channel name? People choose content, not the channel name, surely?

• It's actually pointless, really. Does Sky really think that people select what they want to watch according to the channel name? People choose content, not the channel name, surely?

I'd have thought that the "Select" and "Greats" names covered what they are doing without the tiresome rebrands but they keep on rebranding. I guess it gives them some extra publicity which may attract new viewers, probably those only interested in subscribing for a month while the temporary channel name is being showcased.

It must get annoying for Ofcom, having to add and delete channel names from the licences this often.

• It's actually pointless, really. Does Sky really think that people select what they want to watch according to the channel name? People choose content, not the channel name, surely?

I always assumed that Sky did it to try and give the impression that they are continually adding new film channels.

• Which is why the concept of channels is past its sell by date. Oops, wrong thread.:whistling:^^

The stupidity of temporary branding aside. OB's suggestion that people choose content actually gives weight to Sky's policy of lumping specific content on an individual channel for a fixed period of time. Maybe the rebrands are there just to "train" viewers to seek out specific content.

That said, linear channels still have a long life ahead of them, with streamers adding linear channels to their packages and with new technology, such as DVB-IP and 5G Broadcast, paving the way for linear delivery long after the current transmission systems/platforms become obsolete. Some people just prefer their content pre-packaged and have no interest in seeking out and discovering content themselves.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!