Is Putin the greatest threat to world peace?

• Trump likes Putin, at least for now...

Have we got Putin all wrong? He is the one who ended widespread conflict in Syria...:rolleyes:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The following replies to this thread were all copied over from the original forum:

Quote from Little Wing:

I think there is an underhanded interest in turning Russia into an enemy. One should always be suspicious when politicians make those kind of noises. I think Russia's potential for a Middle East peace settlement has also upset a few apple carts. They don't like it uppem and they want settlements that suit major interest parties not the people who need justice. ... What's new?

Quote from Horizon:

I don't disagree with your Iraq reference there, but there comes a point when you just can't bend over and let these despots do what they want.

THe Ukrainians didn't fight, they assumed America would intervene. So, a shot was barely fired in Crimea. The Russians just walked in and took their bases over which, conveniently, were right next to Russian bases

Quote from hoxton_hockler:

Agree about Afghanistan. What is particularly galling about Iraq is that Afghanistan was a success until the US/UK diverted their attention towards Iraq.

Even so I still believe all we did is bring forward an inevitable destabilisation of the region. Dictatorships were not going to last forever, especially there is corruption and huge wealth inequality - you can get away with it if most people are well off e.g. Saudi.

Quote from Horizon:

May's Speech in Washington today is particularly relevant to this discussion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38747979

Quote from Horizon:

...Thanks for the post as it helps to clarify your earlier posts which I will get back to later, especially that comment about Switzerland which I found curious...

As always, there are about half a dozen different subjects there which perhaps we can explore in future threads. I intend to create one about globalisation aka Americanisation, which is one of themes of your posts. But, I'll restrain myself here and stick to Putin!

Quote from Heero Yuy:

I think it's also important to look at the historical perspective from the Russian point of view. At the end of WWII Russia had a bulwark of like minded nations essentially under control from the Kremlin to "protect" the Russian homeland from any potential invasion from the west or unrest from the south.

That bulwark has been slowly eroded by internal revolution, the EU and NATO. While this did not directly affect Russian interests and also during the glasnost era Russia did not feel threatened. All that changed when the Crimea and the Russian military base on the Black sea was about to defect to the west. In trying to ferment unrest in Syria the west also threatened the only base in the Mediterranean that the Soviets had hence their support for the Syrian regime.

IMHO we are as responsible for Putin's behavior as Putin himself.

• It was already known back then that Russia shot down that airliner, but now here is the proof.

Russia has invaded or coerced several of its neighbours. Shot down civilian airliners. Created mammoth civilian casualties in Syria. Poinied its enemies in several; countries including the UK. Mass hacked various countries. Interfered in western elections etc etc.

Is Russia the biggest threat to world peace today and specifically is Putin? He's the czar with his hands on all the levers of blood and chaos.

Would it not be better for the world if someone just put a bullet through Putin's head, or perhaps use one of his methods of assassination and perhaps kill him with a nice bit of radioactive water or nerve agent?