Folic acid: Consultation starts on plan to fortify flour

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Not sure what I think of this one.

In principle, I don't like things added to our food (or water) but I suppose if it prevents 200 birth defects a year, that's a good thing.

Should folic acid be added to flout?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• In principle, I don't like things added to our food (or water)

That's how I feel. If pregnant women need a supplement to help avoid a birth defect then this should be part of standard natal care from the NHS.

It's a slippery slope, we already have supplements in some foods but who is to say what a necessary supplement is?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• This is the problem, according to the article. The woman aren't taking the pills, so the government is faces with the choice, allow all these birth defects or put the folic acid into the flour.

If you think about it, the State would probably pick up the bill looking after the disabled children all their lives, so this might be be far the cheapest option to prevent that from happening in the first place.

• I'll go against the grain and say I am against mandatory fortification of all flour.

There is no point helping one section of the public if it damages the health of other sections. It's a scattergun approach anyway, as some people eat lots of bread/baking, etc. and others eat virtually none. Overdosing of folic acid can be very detrimental to some people, especially the over 50's.

I wouldn't object to people being given a choice, ie. a choice of food of fortified with folic acid, and non-fortified. I already choose bread/flour from companies that are not Halal-certified and it isn't too difficult, and I would also choose bread not fortified with folic acid. I don't buy enough baked pastries, etc. to make much difference for me personally.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I'll go against the grain and say I am against mandatory fortification of all flour.

I wouldn't object to people being given a choice, ie. a choice of food of fortified with folic acid, and non-fortified. I already choose bread/flour from companies that are not Halal-certified and it isn't too difficult, and I would also choose bread not fortified with folic acid. I don't buy enough baked pastries, etc. to make much difference for me personally.

I agree with you. It shouldn't be mandatory. If people demand to exercise their own judgement and no one else is affected (as opposed to inoculation against a contagious disease) that's surely as much their prerogative as jumping off a cliff. There is no pill to remedy wilful self-neglect or stupidity.

It's not as if folic acid is expensive. Quite cheap actually. For poor folk I'm sure NHS GP surgeries could dispense it.

I use it because in 2001, after 6 months of chemo to conquer leukaemia, my consultant recommended I take a daily normal strength Folic Acid tablet for the rest of my life. 18 years later and free from recurrence, it's not a habit I'm going to abandon ......even if it's no more useful than a placebo!

• I wouldn't object to people being given a choice, ie. a choice of food of fortified with folic acid, and non-fortified. I already choose bread/flour from companies that are not Halal-certified and it isn't too difficult, and I would also choose bread not fortified with folic acid. I don't buy enough baked pastries, etc. to make much difference for me personally.

I agree with this too, as long as the products were clearly labelled.

• I use it because in 2001, after 6 months of chemo to conquer leukaemia, my consultant recommended I take a daily normal strength Folic Acid tablet for the rest of my life. 18 years later and free from recurrence, it's not a habit I'm going to abandon ......even if it's no more useful than a placebo!

Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad you're clear of it.:thumbup: