Sam Kiley outdoes himself with some hard facts

Has the United Kingdom surrendered to a form of mawkish mass sentimentality? Has everyone become an actor in mass moments of theatrical reverence? That, in the end, signify nothing?

No.

It's worse than that.

Sky News article

Way ta go, Sam! I said this over a decade ago and was trolled to death, but I wasn't wrong. I also blamed the terrible wussy Harry Potter series for blinding a generation to their duty to stand and defend and do so with honour and courage and a firm understanding of their ancestral contributions. Not with bloody magic and a whole lotta hugging and weeping and blaming.

Sam Kiley has miraculously put this thought that has plagued an older generation of British descendants into some well written words. He hasn't wasted any and he has made of his words a whip.

So, you're not all dead, then! Good. Time to make some drastic changes before you pour yourselves down the drain of history and lose everything you achieved.

Yes you can! And I wish you the best of luck retrieving yourselves from the brink.

• I agree with Kiley to a point. But, this bit got my attention:

"These days, the public schools can no more produce the sort of chap capable of running a large chunk of Africa at 21 with the assistance only of supernatural self-belief, and a passion for Ovid, than they can turn out a youngster capable of putting a kettle on without the supervision of a Filipina."

I put the emphasis on running there.... Yes, we did have our "brightest" and "best" go out and "run" Africa, India and the whole world in fact and what a good job we made of it too.....:rolleyes:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Actually, the settlers made a superb job of it and it is these former colonies that today have all the technology and know-how to send Africa into the future. The settlers were patriotic not only to their homeland but became loyal and hardworking citizens of the colonies they went to. My grandparents are a good example, on both sides, from England, Norway and Iceland.

I think Sam means that the sort of guts and tenacity needed to make something out of raw materials requires a strong character and ability to go into the unknown on a wing and a prayer and come out the other side with roads, bridges, schools, libraries, universities and a viable parliamentary system. The British did this at the time and no matter how many try to say this was merely "racist", it wasn't. My own forebears were nothing of the sort and they gave their energy and hard work to build and develop.

They weren't coffee plantation owners' sons who went to the colonies to drink and play polo. That is a myth that has captured the imaginations of those who have decided to hate hate their own people and perpetrate this lie.

The settlers were a different matter entirely. They are part of what is presently fighting for freedom in those former colonies and this time they are part of the nations that were formed during those times.

Sam did deliver a wham of a report, but in these times, I think he needed to, especially after the disgraceful killing of a policeman who couldn't have defended the houses of Parliament anyway because apparently he wasn't even armed. That is the tragedy. If he had been and had been trained in martial combat the terrorist would be decorating a spike on Westminster Bridge.

• Brilliant post LW.

In a way, most countries are pretty much the same. Britain would've stayed a backwater, if it weren't for the Romans. Change does happen, it's a part of life, but it's the speed of change that is generally the problem these days.

• In Britain, the Celts were a brilliant group. They had terrific chariots with an advanced wheel hub/ axle affair, they invented soap, they were excellent at farming and animal husbandry and they had large granaries. It is the latter that the Romans apparently had their eye on when they decided that Rome needed another colony.

Boudicca did her best, but when there is dosh and privilege being handed round, you are mostly toast.

The same thing happened in the era of the Jesus revolution. He and others made attempts at reform but Rome had a tight grip on the flunkies and the faithless Caiaphas had him executed. Same sad old story. The revolutionaries in these cases seldom achieve their goals. There is usually a large fascist undertaking waiting to seize their own victory from the jaws of a successful revolt. It is happening in our time with the Arab Spring revolts. :(

• In Britain, the Celts were a brilliant group. They had terrific chariots with an advanced wheel hub/ axle affair, they invented soap, they were excellent at farming and animal husbandry and they had large granaries. It is the latter that the Romans apparently had their eye on when they decided that Rome needed another colony.

Boudicca did her best, but when there is dosh and privilege being handed round, you are mostly toast.

The same thing happened in the era of the Jesus revolution. He and others made attempts at reform but Rome had a tight grip on the flunkies and the faithless Caiaphas had him executed. Same sad old story. The revolutionaries in these cases seldom achieve their goals. There is usually a large fascist undertaking waiting to seize their own victory from the jaws of a successful revolt. It is happening in our time with the Arab Spring revolts. :(

I know your preference is for fantasy books, but you, really, really, should consider one day writing a book on history and human nature and the lessons, or not, mankind has learned since. You're very good at it!

• :) I don't only write fantasy and my fantasy stuff is based in real world events and characters, just different worlds or realms so I have to put in it the Fantasy genre. I place all those life-related things you mentioned into the books, no matter where I set them.

I also write poetry and short stories and used to do a lot of literary stuff, even wrote some plays, but literary works have become a rarity in today's world of computer games and comics and walking corpses, et al, so I don't do that in purist form any more.

I have two books on a family in South Africa. Those were my first novels and aren't fantasy. I'm rather broad-based in most of my creative endeavours. Life is big and generous and complex. I like to portray this in all its quirks and sorrows.