Boris and the G7

• Boris was trying to get the G7 nations to agree to more sanctions against Russia. Italy and Germany disagreed.

" Existing sanctions on Russia, imposed after its annexation of Crimea in 2014, have already cost the Italians £3.4bn in lost business, and Rome has resisted previous attempts to expand penalties on Moscow. Germany, meanwhile, imports 35 per cent of its oil from Russia.Rather than threatening Vladimir Putin with asset-freezing, the Germans preferred a policy of “reaching out to Russia” while Italy’s foreign minister said it was vital not to “push Russia into a corner”. ( Which is in itself odd since when Trump said he wanted more friendly relations with Russia he was accused of being controlled by them.)

"Mr Johnson’s aides insisted he had secured the agreement he wanted, because the ministers had agreed that sanctions against Russian and Syrian military officials could be threatened if an independent investigation by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons proved Syria was to blame for the nerve gas attack.

But the French foreign minister Jean-Marc Ayrault told a rather different story.

"The question wasn't mentioned by anyone, except Boris Johnson, but we didn't talk about it any further," he said."

Telegraph article

I'm not arguing for or against sanctions but - Is it possible that Boris was ambushed by 'our friends in Europe' more concerned about their own well being than anything else?

Had they agreed privately that sanctions could be threatened but then denied any agreement publicly in their own interests and to score points off the UK because of Brexit?

• Had they agreed privately that sanctions could be threatened but then denied any agreement publicly in their own interests and to score points off the UK because of Brexit?

It's possible. I wouldn't put anything past them.

They, in the EU, talk about a stronger Europe, A European army etc, but they're just weak. They'll never do anything about Syria, let alone Russia. It'll be us and the Americans.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Horizon

Moved the thread to the trash: Only a few replies to this thread, so safe to delete .