Britain hit by surge in violent crime

• Britain hit by surge in violent crime: senior officers criticised for ignoring basics as gun and knife offences soar

Britain is in the grip of a sudden surge in violent crime, Scotland Yard warned yesterday, amid criticism of senior officers.
    Following years of decline in gun and knife crime, the Metropolitan Police reported a leap in recorded offences in the capital, with gun crime rising by 42 per cent year on year and knife crime up by 24 per cent.
    Sex offences, robberies and assaults also increased.

The force said the pattern was being repeated around the country and referred to “significant reductions in resources” in its official explanation of the figures.
    It also blamed “increased demand” on its officers caused by issues including “child protection and mental health”.

...........But critics pointed out that in recent years the Met and other forces have together wasted tens of millions of pounds on high-profile pursuits of celebrities, journalists and politicians that went nowhere, and said resourcing must not be used as an “excuse”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…cers-criticised-ignoring/

I have no doubt that cutting police funding has had an effect on the amount of crime. The time was when it was the first duty of a police officer to prevent crime, now it seems to be to try to keep up with it.

And of course, I have no doubt whatsoever that thousands of crimes are not recorded and acted upon. I think the fuss over 'stop and search' and the political correctness issue also plays a part.

The only answer in my opinion is minimum sentences for those found guilty of possessing weapons. 10 years for illegal possession of a firearm and 4 years for possession of a knife without good reason would be a good place to start.

• As someone who lives in a country with runaway crime, I can say that it isn't the police's fault (in these situations they are usually under-equipped and under resourced), nor can they prevent it once it becomes endemic.

It's a sign that society has become a crucible for violence and lawlessness and this often boils down to too many people, too many people who are unemployed, too many people on drugs, too many people with no moral compass, cultural affiliations, no discipline, etc. And too many people. And too many people. And too many people.

Once this occurs, and it has occurred in Britain so it's no use tying to blame anyone now, you need to give the police more leeway in dealing with crime, and you need what we have where I am - security companies who patrol the streets and shopping centres and free up the police time for serious offences pursuit. We have armed response security guards everywhere and they are a serious deterrent to opportunist criminals. Security guard work provides a lot of employment and the chance to be trained in self defence and weapons use and to become a useful, respected member of a community.

• Security guard work provides a lot of employment and the chance to be trained in self defence and weapons use and to become a useful, respected member of a community.

Weapons for non police staff are out of the question here I'm afraid. Then we have the PC human rights loonies who support criminality. I actually know a young man who was a staff team leader at a well known high street super market chain. His suspicions were aroused by chap who came in, and he watched him put goods into a hold all and then walk out. He chased after him, caught him and tried to march him back to the store, the thief hit him so the lad hit him back hard. Then a bystander, who couldn't possibly have known what was going on, called the police. Guess who lost his job?

• That's terrible. It's also nuts. It's also why I came to support the old country seventeen years ago now. It was 2001, I think, on the night I saw the Bradford riots ongoing on the TV news. (We were being invaded by three chisel-wielding burglars at the time.) So I just solidified in my intention and outrage when I saw what was on the TV. Fortunately, I heard the soft clinking as they removed the locks on the gates, but by the time Mr Wing and the dogs got to the back door they had started to wedge it open, breaking the lock and we would have been attacked by three criminals. They escaped over the wall when they saw the dogs through the window. Now we have spikes on the wall and a steel guard over the lock.

It was in this atmosphere that I thought, "Oh my God, it's happening in Britain too!" and the next day I went searching for somewhere to support the old country.

Now, you seem to have this problem anyway, and it's increasing by the look of things. :(

• This is the major security company that we have. There are others too, but ADT is the biggie. You can also ask your security officer to call an ambulance for you if someone needs this and you can't get them to hospital. These guards have turned once lawless cityscapes into places where people can walk in the street again and have someone see them to their door if they get home late in the evening. Their motto is "I am always there." It's a really good feeling to see the guard's car go past at all hours. And they work closely with the police.

link

• That's terrible. It's also nuts. It's also why I came to support the old country seventeen years ago now. It was 2001, I think, on the night I saw the Bradford riots ongoing on the TV news. (We were being invaded by three chisel-wielding burglars at the time.) So I just solidified in my intention and outrage when I saw what was on the TV. Fortunately, I heard the soft clinking as they removed the locks on the gates, but by the time Mr Wing and the dogs got to the back door they had started to wedge it open, breaking the lock and we would have been attacked by three criminals. They escaped over the wall when they saw the dogs through the window. Now we have spikes on the wall and a steel guard over the lock.

It was in this atmosphere that I thought, "Oh my God, it's happening in Britain too!" and the next day I went searching for somewhere to support the old country.

Now, you seem to have this problem anyway, and it's increasing by the look of things. :(

You'd cry if you were here. Spikes on walls? Good heavens, here if you put barbed wire on top of your garden fence to stop intruders and one injures himself, it's you that is likely to be you in court when he sues you rather than him in a cell.

This case was reported last month but the very fact the farmer was prosecuted shows how ridiculous the situation here is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new…red-shooting-burglar.html

• I remember some years ago the case of Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot a burglar who was in his house with a posse of his kind ransacking the place at night. The way Tony (a senior citizen living alone) was treated was a disgrace and I remember putting the "Free Tony Martin" protest on my web site at the time.

• I remember some years ago the case of Tony Martin, the Norfolk farmer who shot a burglar who was in his house with a posse of his kind ransacking the place at night. The way Tony (a senior citizen living alone) was treated was a disgrace and I remember putting the "Free Tony Martin" protest on my web site at the time.

What the courts were trying to do there was send a deterrent message that lethal force can only be used if you feel your life is in threat of imminent danger and should only be used in exception circumstances. The judge, in my opinion, did not give sufficient weight to the fact that he was burgled before and feared for his safety. The pikeys were running away, but whose to say that they might not have tuned around and stabbed him?

I don't want to go down the American route that pretty much says if a intruder is on your property, you have carte blanch to do what you want, but you should be able to defend yourself and your property.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Anyway, shan't say too much further, as they will be part of my next Super Topic and the farmer Martin story will be central to that.

• Arming the police and guns in general would make an interesting debate actually.

That's a part of it, but it's how police respond to crime, or, as in my case, ignore it. And, is the Tony Martin case, how the law is applied by the courts.

Most people think the law was always about justice, whereas in fact it was created to protect the interests of the gentry.

• That's a part of it, but it's how police respond to crime, or, as in my case, ignore it. And, is the Tony Martin case, how the law is applied by the courts.

Most people think the law was always about justice, whereas in fact it was created to protect the interests of the gentry.

Hmmm. I agree with you, and beware of getting me started on this type of topic.... :eek:

Mark

• One of my favourite Dickens quotes is in the foreword of an old edition of The Pickwick Papers I have. Obviously it was written when what is now the book was being written in part works.

"Who knows, but the by the time the series reaches its conclusion, it may be discovered that there are even magistrates in town and country who should be taught to shake hands every day with Common sense and Justice."

In many cases today it seems they still haven't learned to do so.